Anyone have a silverfish problem in their home?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering what a silverfish even was, until I saw that picture. Looks like an earwig with some bling-bling. Creepy stuff.

That's horrible looking!:horror ..how big are those?, about the size of an earwig? ..i hate earwigs and moths!:panic:

They're pretty small. The silver on them comes off. I think they're pretty cool, but destructive little ____s.

Nothing like earwigs. I HATE THOSE THINGS! Their butt pinches hurt!

picture-6.png

At one time I was killing like 2 earwigs a day. One day one got into my shoe and waiting til I was in the middle of walking my dog to sting me. That thing hurt like hell.

Silverfish? They're nothing compared to what's coming at the end of the month,

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES!

brown_stink_bug_adult.jpg

From their website...

This pest, however, is one of the most difficult insects to totally eliminate even for a professional company.

:exactly:
Take a nuclear holocaust to kill Batty's critters. And then, that's still only a maybe as nobody's sure how radiation would affect them. :google

Here's the problem with Silverfish...if you have anything in storage in your house...attic, garage, whatever, they eat and nest in paper and cardboard, so you're going to have them.

Ween mentioned Boric Acid, which you puff into cracks in your walls, behind cabinets, under your sink, etc. Anywhere bugs nest or travel, you dust it and you're good for about 6 months. There's also a granular bait you can get (maybe, I'm not sure about pesticide laws where you live) called Niban, which is specifically for Silverfish. Spread it under your sinks and in your cabinets, as well as anywhere you have anything stored in boxes.

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/niban-granular-bait-lb-shaker-p-1487.html

It will take a bit, but they'll be under control with that. And yes, spiders do love Silverfish, but spiders are also your best friends in terms of pest control. They eat EVERYTHING. If your house didn't have spiders, I'd be worried. Once you get the Silverfish under control, the spiders will head out and look elsewhere.

As far as sprays and such go, never spray anything in your house. Ever. Raid only kills what's out foraging and doesn't touch the nest. Baseboard jockeys like most pest control companies employ only spray your baseboards, which is great if the bugs nested on the outer parts of your baseboards, but they don't, so it's purely a cosmetic placebo. And it hangs around in the air for hours afterwards so you're breathing it in and its collecting in your liver.

Always bait and dust for any pest you have, and if you can, do it yourself. If you have to hire a company to do it, have them bait and dust for you. Never let them spray inside your house. It flat out doesn't work, and it's poison, plain and simple.

I've been in pest control since '06, which is where I've learned most of this. If you have to hire someone to do it for you, look up Truly Nolen, if they have a branch near you. They're one of the only pest control companies that do things the right way.

Here's the problem with Silverfish...if you have anything in storage in your house...attic, garage, whatever, they eat and nest in paper and cardboard, so you're going to have them.

Ween mentioned Boric Acid, which you puff into cracks in your walls, behind cabinets, under your sink, etc. Anywhere bugs nest or travel, you dust it and you're good for about 6 months. There's also a granular bait you can get (maybe, I'm not sure about pesticide laws where you live) called Niban, which is specifically for Silverfish. Spread it under your sinks and in your cabinets, as well as anywhere you have anything stored in boxes.

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/niban-granular-bait-lb-shaker-p-1487.html

It will take a bit, but they'll be under control with that. And yes, spiders do love Silverfish, but spiders are also your best friends in terms of pest control. They eat EVERYTHING. If your house didn't have spiders, I'd be worried. Once you get the Silverfish under control, the spiders will head out and look elsewhere.

As far as sprays and such go, never spray anything in your house. Ever. Raid only kills what's out foraging and doesn't touch the nest. Baseboard jockeys like most pest control companies employ only spray your baseboards, which is great if the bugs nested on the outer parts of your baseboards, but they don't, so it's purely a cosmetic placebo. And it hangs around in the air for hours afterwards so you're breathing it in and its collecting in your liver.

Always bait and dust for any pest you have, and if you can, do it yourself. If you have to hire a company to do it, have them bait and dust for you. Never let them spray inside your house. It flat out doesn't work, and it's poison, plain and simple.

I've been in pest control since '06, which is where I've learned most of this. If you have to hire someone to do it for you, look up Truly Nolen, if they have a branch near you. They're one of the only pest control companies that do things the right way.

Extremely useful and helpful info!!! :rock Thanks crow!

Back