Anyone have a silverfish problem in their home?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCJ99

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So I live over in Westchester, CA and I've been noticing quite a bit of spiders and silverfish. Ordinarily I'd just squish them and seemed to not be such a problem.... But up until recently, these little buggers seem to be all over the place. Last week I had a spider propel itself down onto my face while I was laying in bed, and last night I had a silverfish crawl on my arm while in bed..... :gah:

The apartment building supposedly fumigates the place a few times a year, but how can I go about getting rid of these little pests in my place?? :ohbfrank:

Weird you should mention this. I noticed three silverfish altogether yesterday , squished them all but they can't be the only ones there.

I would get an indoor outdoor spray and spray all along base boards, windows, and outlets/jacks/etc...

I had an issue when in lived in an apt too. You can't rely on the building mgmt or even neighbors.

Silverfish rock up whenever it's damp, so keeping your place dry and free of moisture is a good first step. I'd start with moisture absorbing packets, and if you happen to have a dehumidifier that could also make your place less attractive to them.

Silverfish rock up whenever it's damp, so keeping your place dry and free of moisture is a good first step. I'd start with moisture absorbing packets, and if you happen to have a dehumidifier that could also make your place less attractive to them.

Thats tricky when are as close to the ocean as Westchester is.

I hate the name "silverfish." It sounds disgusting. Why couldn't they give bugs nice names. It would make them less threatening.

Instead of silverfish, they could've been called "silversmile."

When I read the title of this thread I though it said selfish problem. :lol

Reading is hard. :(

Thats tricky when are as close to the ocean as Westchester is.

Yes, that would take one hell of a dehumidifier and not a small amount of absorbent sachets.

I hate the name "silverfish." It sounds disgusting. Why couldn't they give bugs nice names. It would make them less threatening.

Instead of silverfish, they could've been called "silversmile."

I think flies have the nicest name. 'Fly'. Kind of sums up the fun part of their existence without referring to any of their less desirable qualities.

When I read the title of this thread I though it said selfish problem. :lol

Reading is hard. :(

on a forum where most of the members have hijacked great swathes of the home to accommodate their collection of man-dolls, you could easily be forgiven for reading it that way :lol

I saw one of these bugs and killed it with the quickness. Didnt know what it was til I saw this thread and typed in silverfish.

They love dampness. They also eat cloth, so watch your clothing. They'll crawl between clothes and chew little holes. I found that they love mostly cotton and cotton blends, like t-shirts.

Boric acid is what we use around here for them. You can buy it in packs you can put around.

Also, the reason you're probably seeing more spiders is that they loooove silverfish.

silverfish%20bug2.jpg

Man those things look creepy to me.... It's funny because you'd think that they have a tough "armadillo-like" hard shell. But when you smash them, they disintegrate into dust! :lol

Back