Ani-Com HK Expo 2011 - Hot Toys Batman Begins Exclusive Figure Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how people _____ about going out of their way to pay out the ass for a figure that was an "Asian exclusive" and _____ now because it's being offered domestically. :monkey1 :cuckoo:

Do you really want to start that debate again? :slap
It's an opinion not a debate and if it was a debate, I won. Pretty easy though considering thenammagaizine has no clue about what he post.

I love how people _____ about going out of their way to pay out the ass for a figure that was an "Asian exclusive" and _____ now because it's being offered domestically. :monkey1 :cuckoo:

Do you even think about what you post? People that paid out the ass for the "Asian Exclusive", are exactly the ones that should complain that they are now being offered domestically.:slap. What don't you understand about that? Seems to me you just like to be an ___hole. At least you always make it obvious that you don't know what your talking about.

tumblr_lcqup0QQna1qarrou.gif

PatrickandAJ.gif

Fail-1.gif

NastyFite.gif

Thats Nam :lol
RAGE.gif

It's an opinion not a debate and if it was a debate, I won. Pretty easy though considering thenammagaizine has no clue about what he post.

Do you even think about what you post? People that paid out the ass for the "Asian Exclusive", are exactly the ones that should complain that they are now being offered domestically.:slap. What don't you understand about that? Seems to me you just like to be an ___hole. At least you always make it obvious that you don't know what your talking about.

Yes I do, and I did. You have entitlement issues. I never whined paying $250 back in the day to get the International Exclusive Sideshow Babysitter from a Belgian retailer when it was only available in the UK and EU. I also didn't cry when Sideshow released it as a Spooktacular Exclusive for $50 domestically less than a year later.

Being just that, Asian/EU exclusive would tell me it's meant to sell in those markets, not in ours. If you pay the price to get it from a market other than your own, where it wasn't intended to be released, that's all on you, not Hot Toys. If they release it here, more power to them. You're essentially _____ing about a self inflicted issue which is laughable at best.

Last edited:
Yes I do, and I did. You have entitlement issues. I never whined paying $250 back in the day to get the International Exclusive Sideshow Babysitter from a Belgian retailer when it was only available in the UK and EU. I also didn't cry when Sideshow released it as a Spooktacular Exclusive for $50 domestically less than a year later.

Being just that, Asian/EU exclusive would tell me it's meant to sell in those markets, not in ours. If you pay the price to get it from a market other than your own, where it wasn't intended to be released, that's all on you, not Hot Toys. If they release it here, more power to them. You're essentially _____ing about a self inflicted issue which is laughable at best.

That's nice that you do not have an issue with knowing that you spent good money on an exclusive that did not stay exclusive, but that has little to nothing to do with anyone else. People have the right to be upset when something that is called an 'Exclusive", implying it is exclusive, suddenly becomes a common item a year or so later do to a regional release or a rerelease or whatever causes the problem. The idea of an exclusive is that it is exclusive. I do not understand why this is such a hard thing to grasp or understand. Someone is willing to pay more for an exclusive because they tend to know it is far more difficult to obtain. Why shouldn't they be upset when that barrier is removed a short time after?

This is no different than someone buying a console or portable because they want the sequel to a game in their favorite game series, of which was advertised to be console exclusive, but is then released on another console a year after. For example, Tales of Vesperia was advertised to be an Xbox exclusive, but then they released it for the PS3 with additional content, including two more playable characters. This additional content would be the equivalent to spending less for a figure because it is no longer exclusive. Want to know how the Japanese fans reacted? They were ____ing pissed and they had every right to be.

Nope you didnt because you never gotthepoint. But move on. At least you are entertaining. The 350 pages waiting for Superman were far more boring. :lol

@Monger

On the one hand I get your point. On the other hand I personally dont buy a piece because it is an exclusive or because it is limited. In fact I dont care about the word exclusive. I see a product and decid if I think it is worth the announced price. Sometimes the figure rises in value (OC Bats), sometimes not (Two Face) but this has nothing to do with the question of buying it. Speculating with toys is not really as safe as the Wallstreet. However when I look at my cabinet I must say alltogether the value has developed nicely over the last 3 years. :wink1:

That's nice that you do not have an issue with knowing that you spent good money on an exclusive that did not stay exclusive, but that has little to nothing to do with anyone else. People have the right to be upset when something that is called an 'Exclusive", implying it is exclusive, suddenly becomes a common item a year or so later do to a regional release or a rerelease or whatever causes the problem. The idea of an exclusive is that it is exclusive. I do not understand why this is such a hard thing to grasp or understand. Someone is willing to pay more for an exclusive because they tend to know it is far more difficult to obtain. Why shouldn't they be upset when that barrier is removed a short time after?

This is no different than someone buying a console or portable because they want the sequel to a game in their favorite game series, of which was advertised to be console exclusive, but is then released on another console a year after. For example, Tales of Vesperia was advertised to be an Xbox exclusive, but then they released it for the PS3 with additional content, including two more playable characters. This additional content would be the equivalent to spending less for a figure because it is no longer exclusive. Want to know how the Japanese fans reacted? They were ____ing pissed and they had every right to be.

Common item?! :lol Last I checked, they weren't common releases but still exclusives. Again, that's the gamble you take if you pay to import a regional exclusive. Hot Toys doesn't owe any of you ____ and expecting it is straight-up entitlement douchery. You'd have a better argument if this was an additional run of something. It's more likely that they're liquidating the rest of the initial run that didn't sell.

And your comparison to consoles is laughable as well. ZERO sympathy. It's par for the course and has been happening repeatedly since the console wars began. You should already know never to buy a console for a game. Anybody who does is an idiot. :cuckoo:

It was a ____ move to make it an "Asian only" exclusive. A big "____ You" to the Western fans.

It would be yet another ____ move to make the "Asian only exclusive" no longer an "Asian only exclusive," by going back on what they said and releasing it in the West, after it had been "exclusive" for a while. That'd be another big "____ you" to the Western fans who, despite the initial "____ you," decided they were enough of a Hot Toys fan to import it at a high prices anyway.

I'd be happy for those who had to pass on the Asian exclusive that could now get it at a good price - but still pissed at Hot Toys for lying for their bottom line. You don't need to be dishonest to turn a profit.

you can always think of it as paying higher prices to get it before everyone else does in the West, like people paying $100+ extra to get spidey from Asia right now instead of waiting for the US release, some paid $100+ extra to get the MJ beat it figure 6 months before the US gets it. In this collection world it actually costs money to get something early so the price is actually fair considering that.

Last edited:
you can always think of it as paying higher prices to get it before everyone else does in the West, like people paying $100+ extra to get spidey from Asia right now instead of waiting for the US release, some paid $100+ extra to get the MJ beat it figure 6 months before the US gets it. In this collection world it actually costs money to get something early so the price is actually fair considering that.

No, that's not the same thing at all.

When things are released in waves, then yes, the Asians get it before the Westerners. If you want it sooner, you pay a higher premium for it. That's fine and is well understood.

In this case, the Bat-Demon/Scarecrow set was advertised as being Asian only. Not "Asian now, rest of the world later."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't care about getting figures 6 months earlier than other people - there are plenty of us who would gladly wait and end up paying less. Those people decided to pay more now NOT because they wanted to "get it early," but because they were lead to believe that importing would be the ONLY method of getting it.

A customer should be able to expect that a company is honest about their intentions to release, or not release, a given figure in a given market. The word "exclusive" means ONLY in one specified market. It doesn't mean "This market now, the other market later." That's the domain of their other figures - the non-exclusive ones.

When things are released in waves, then yes, the Asians get it before the Westerners. If you want it sooner, you pay a higher premium for it. That's fine and is well understood.

In this case, the Bat-Demon/Scarecrow set was advertised as being Asian only. Not "Asian now, rest of the world later."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't care about getting figures 6 months earlier than other people - there are plenty of us who would gladly wait and end up paying less. Those people decided to pay more now NOT because they wanted to "get it early," but because they were lead to believe that importing would be the ONLY method of getting it.

A customer should be able to expect that a company is honest about their intentions to release, or not release, a given figure in a given market. The word "exclusive" means ONLY in one specified market. It doesn't mean "This market now, the other market later." That's the domain of their other figures - the non-exclusive ones.

:exactly:.

I suspect that HT was being "honest" in that they originally expected to only release those in Asia. But, they likely over-estimated the popularity of these figures there, and ended up with an excess of surplus stock. They were no doubt starting to "clog pegs" in Asian toy stores, so HT sells part of the excess MJ stock to Sideshow and Friend stock to BBTS. . .assuming this was a deal involving HT. It could have been Toy Hunters or some other retailer making a deal with these companies to off-load their stock. Or maybe Toy Hunters sold those back to HT and HT then turned around and re-sold them to Sideshow/BBTS/whomever. I'm not totally clear on how HT distributed all of those.

Nope you didnt because you never gotthepoint. But move on. At least you are entertaining. The 350 pages waiting for Superman were far more boring. :lol

@Monger

On the one hand I get your point. On the other hand I personally dont buy a piece because it is an exclusive or because it is limited. In fact I dont care about the word exclusive. I see a product and decid if I think it is worth the announced price. Sometimes the figure rises in value (OC Bats), sometimes not (Two Face) but this has nothing to do with the question of buying it. Speculating with toys is not really as safe as the Wallstreet. However when I look at my cabinet I must say alltogether the value has developed nicely over the last 3 years. :wink1:

I try not to buy pieces just because they are exclusive either, though rarity sometimes influences my purchase. For example, I am more inclined to get a hidden drop from ThreeA because I know that they are hard to get and if I want one down the road, I would have to spend top dollar for one. The difference with that is that the hidden drops are not more expensive.

I just try to buy the figures I like. It can be upsetting when a figure I like is exclusive, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. I can only imagine how some of these people would react to the Japanese figure market. Seriously over here in the Bandai and Medicom world, we have to deal with web and Japan exclusives on an almost daily basis. Often times, the figures that do come out normally distributed are purposefully missing key pieces that are then released as web exclusives. Thank the stars Hot Toys isn't into that.

Common item?! :lol Last I checked, they weren't common releases but still exclusives. Again, that's the gamble you take if you pay to import a regional exclusive. Hot Toys doesn't owe any of you ____ and expecting it is straight-up entitlement douchery. You'd have a better argument if this was an additional run of something. It's more likely that they're liquidating the rest of the initial run that didn't sell.

And your comparison to consoles is laughable as well. ZERO sympathy. It's par for the course and has been happening repeatedly since the console wars began. You should already know never to buy a console for a game. Anybody who does is an idiot. :cuckoo:

Is there any reason why you feel the need to sound like a jerk when you reply to something? It strikes me as incredibly immature.

As for the usage of the word "common," I simply meant for something other than "exclusive" or "rare." In other words, whatever a regular Hot Toys would be. Common wasn't the best word to use, but nit picking won't win you any bonus points.

And actually Hot Toys does owe their fans quite a lot and they should be expected to follow through with their statements. I do not mind an Asian exclusive. It's an Asian company they can make exclusives anywhere they want for all I care. What I do find upsetting is not being able to trust a company. All I ask is that they follow through with their own word. If they do not know whether or not they are going to release the figure to the general market later, then do not state it either way. Otherwise, say it is an exclusive. This is something that should be expected.

The console example was just something I figured could help drive my point. The reason I use the example of buying a console for a game is because of how expensive 1/6 figures are, especially exclusives. To call someone an idiot because they bought a console for a console exclusive is pathetic. Consoles exists to play games. If someone strongly desires a specific game, then they need to have the console to play it. If the game is exclusive, then it should be expected to stay exclusive. That's why you tend to see the companies apologize if they turn around and later port the game to a different console. It is also why you usually do not see games marketed as being exclusive, even if they only came out on one console. It is to avoid that problem down the road. That ambiguity would be appreciated for something like Hot Toys.

Last edited:
I think there were two groups of people, those who actually believed it is Asian exclusive only, and many like me who never saw it that way in the first place. It's supposed to be exclusive for the 10th Anniversary show in Tokyo if you lived in Asia, meaning if you live in Asia and want it, you need to go through that show to order it and that's it. But if you live in the West, we may or may not have our own supplier, since the Asian market is separate from the Western Market. How they get their exclusives really has nothing to do with us, much like Asian collectors go through other suppliers for SDCC and Sideshow exclusives, it never is a guarantee but it doesn't mean that SDCC/Sideshow exclusives are only for Western market either. The iron man Secret project will be SDCC exclusive in addition to being an exclusive for Ani-com and other shows in Asia in the following months.

I always thought it was just some sort of misunderstanding and I don't remember Hot Toys ever saying it's for Asian Market only, its just word of mouth getting passed around of people's assumptions that somehow got manifested into what most actually believed is real, even though people admit it themselves that it sounds ridiculous they believed it. Hot Toys never said it.

Last edited:
Is there any reason why you feel the need to sound like a jerk when you reply to something? It strikes me as incredibly immature.

As for the usage of the word "common," I simply meant for something other than "exclusive" or "rare." In other words, whatever a regular Hot Toys would be. Common wasn't the best word to use, but nit picking won't win you any bonus points.

And actually Hot Toys does owe their fans quite a lot and they should be expected to follow through with their statements. I do not mind an Asian exclusive. It's an Asian company they can make exclusives anywhere they want for all I care. What I do find upsetting is not being able to trust a company. All I ask is that they follow through with their own word. If they do not know whether or not they are going to release the figure to the general market later, then do not state it either way. Otherwise, say it is an exclusive. This is something that should be expected.

I find that I often sound like a jerk to crybabies and entitlement douches who have an extremely hard time dealing with reality.

Hot Toys did follow through with their statement. The toy was sold as an exclusive, and STILL is. When they released it there it was never their intent for that "release" to be released here to, at that point in time. However, you took it upon yourself to pay out the ass for it. Now, are you in the "Asian market?" No. So how is it Hot Toys fault that you felt soooo compelled to add it to your collection then and there that you dropped the money to import a market exclusive? It's not HT's fault. And no, no big dumb Guido put a piece to your head and made you order it. You did that on your own. Cowboy up and own it. Cry about it. Get over it. Or are you not the "grown man" you're fronting with implications about my immaturity? Because in the end, you're the one crying about a doll. :huh

So is the Demon Batman/Scarecrow really being released in the U.S? I have seen any actual confirmation of it anywhere, but I could have missed it. If so, that's awesome news for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back