Adam Beane's Sculpting Tutorial DVD and New Sculpting Material

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you pledge, are you asked to send the donation right away? Don't have PayPal funds right now, but can certainly send sometime down the line. :slap

Edit: Nevermind, saw the FAQs on the right-hand side after pledging.. So you have to have funds on your credit card before April 8 of the time stated. Bummer! :slap

I'm going to make the $50 pledge. Seems like this will be a good investment and the guy has some good stuff to teach.

He started a blog too, if people missed that:

https://adambeane.wordpress.com/

There's nothing so interesting on it now but maybe in time, after the Kickstarter thing ends, there will be.

67 hours until the end now. He's trying to get it up to $20,000 by that time. Will he get there? It would surely be nice if he did but it seems unlikely with so little time left.

Can't believe I almost missed this. Got my pledge in with 22 minutes to spare! I've been sculpting for several years now and I can not wait to see a video done by Adam. His sculpting is amazing.

And I bump! A few people here put in money and so I figure maybe we can get to some talking here. Are people still excited? Are people still following it closely? Still feeling good about it? Or are you annoyed?

For those didn't pledge or haven't been following, this isn't out yet. The original plan was for this to be done and out by June - July of last year, then the date was changed a couple more times, then there was a few months with no proper news, and now finally he says it will be out in April, which will make it about nine months later than the original date given. That's pretty crazy when I think about it. Still, I'm excited. If it doesn't meet this April release though, my excitement will surely turn to great irritation.

Yeah, I'm still excited, but it's taking very long indeed. Can't complain tho', didn't pledge enough to get the CX5, heh.

I bought in to the kickstarter in april last year. It seems he's turning this video and cx5 thing into a full business. Maybe he's gotten in over his head with the 'mass' production of the compound. This guy looks to be a perfectionist from his work so perhaps he's just not wanting to distribute anything until its perfect. I'm an admirer of this guy so even though it will be a year since i paid, it will be worth the wait imo.

I'm not worried. I've been getting the updates every couple months and everything seems legit. I'm glad he's gone forward with the project as more of a business development than just a one shot attempt. Hopefully, all will be ready come April.

And I bump again!

I'm not worried either, I'm sure it'll come out, but it sure is taking a crazy amount of time. He has again missed his latest deadline, the April 1 date he gave three months ago, and while he says it's close to being done it sound more like we're going to be waiting another 3 - 4 more months at the very least.

Is everyone still feeling confident here and like everything all on the level?

I dont know what is more bizarre..him taking this long or me not freaking out about it. His progress videos are amazing so i think we're in good hands. I wonder if we'll ever know for sure what happened to cause the delay?

Just seeing this, very cool idea. Since the goal has been met can folks still donate and get in on the DVD deal?
EDIT: Yeah I just tried to click on the $50 pledge button and it told me this 'project is not live'
Still willing to send him $50 for a DVD, but not sure how now.

Bummer :(

I believe the DVD he's making will be available for purchase once it's done, everyone will be able to buy. If you backed him on Kickstarter though you get the DVD for a cheaper price and a sample of the CX5, that's all. The Kickstarter was not made as a way to sell DVDs but just a way to fund the DVD to sell later.

I wonder if we'll ever know for sure what happened to cause the delay?

In his latest update he didn't really give much of an answer for that but then people posted their concerns and then he finally replied with a more straight-forward explanation, which you can see here, in the comments section:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adambeane/adam-beanes-amazing-sculpture-videos/posts/197929

Definitely the project has taken a long time, and each date we predicted we would be done with it has flown by. That's a big part of why I don't want to give another projected end date, because it has been very difficult to accurately estimate how long things will take. For instance, what I though would be six to eight weeks of editing turned into over twenty.

Scott N. - I'm sorry I haven't given clear markers for what we've gotten done, and what stage we're at. I can see now how that gives a real sense of uncertainty about the project.

Patti - I'd be happy to offer you a refund, I'll send you a message right now about that.

I've always loved filming and editing short videos, but shooting a professional production of this length has been an entirely new beast. Now having talked to professionals in the field I have been told the average cost for a production like this is $50k. After Paypal took their percentage I was able to cover $17k of that $50k via Kickstarter funds. I have had to generate the additional income through traditional commissions, while filming and editing the video. To say the least this has been a grueling process.

Things that have taken more time than budgeted have been everything from writing the script, story boarding, audio editing, and color matching to shooting pickup scenes and designing things like the cover and DVD menu. We have developed some great working relationships with video professionals in these later stages of production. We've learned a lot about international standards so we get the correct type of DVDs to everyone in all the Kickstarter countries. We've discovered just how expensive it is ship worldwide, which I didn't originally take into account when setting up reward tiers.

I want you all to know that this is a project I am proud of and passionate about. I never wanted to complain about the process, and so I didn't really share my struggles with all of you backers.

I hope you know that I'm working as hard as I can to get the video and samples of Cx5 into your hands. I appreciate all of your patience, and I sincerely apologize that we haven't been more communicative about progress on the video. Currently we are editing in the last pickup shots and the credits, we have all print materials finalized, we have menu systems designed and DVD masters ready to be written, we have all shipping methods figured out, and we're cranking away here at the studio.

And now it's done! He says he'll be shipping both the DVD and the CX5 for Kickstarter backers around about now. Presumably they'll be available for everyone else to buy soon enough too.

image-153755-full.jpg

Just got the dvd and cx5 sample! Haven't watched it yet but looking forward to it. The cx5 looks to be some pretty interesting stuff to work with, I don't have the proper tools for it but will get some eventually.

Wooh! Very curious to hear what you think of the DVD. I haven't got a shipping notice yet and so it could be a while yet for me.

What are the proper tools? I only have experience with Sculpey. For CX5 I was figuring maybe at minimum I could just start with metal tools that I heat over a candle (if a heated tool is even necessary), and an old electric frying pan. Somewhere along the line my mind told me that maybe that's all I need to start. Am I completely off?

In his videos on YouTube it shows him working with a heated tool thing a lot, and so I guess that's necessary as you get further into it, but he also seems to use other non-heated, more common tools.

Back