9th Doctor- My first paintup and resculpt- Be Gentle!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEnemy

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey guys let me start off by saying that this is my first foray into painting and resculpting of any kind so please be gentle. Hopefully with time I'll get better at it.

I resculpted Ada Chan's 9th doctor HS because I wasnt happy with the hair and hairline and also the sculpt was too rough (still couldnt do much about that). So sculpy, sandpaper and school basic colour acrylic paint (AAAARGGGHH).

Here are the pics. Again, please be gentle...I'm a complete N00b at this. No beating around the bush. I know I'm no Skiman.

Note: The eyes look as if he's high (lol) but it's the light I assure you. Just couldnt get the right pic with my phone.

Further, the sculpt does suffer the usual sizing issues that Ada's sculpts are known for. In fact, its actually bigger than Tennant. By my reckoning, about 1x larger

Thanks for stopping by and even more thanks for being gentle.

Chris

20130602_104728_zpsc59931bd.jpg

20130602_104748_zps348bcf0a.jpg

christophereccleston_full.jpg

Not bad at all for a first paint up. One thing that would really help is investing in some high quality paints. Everyone has a brand they love and each take some time to get used to. You've got the basics down and you can only get better from there!

Looks good! I just started painting stuff myself, and as your effort looks like some of my earlier efforts, though it's unsolicited, let me give you a couple of pointers that have helped me out as a novice. First, those fine details require a really fine brush. This is important when you are doing eyes and doing the hairline. I find that something this size works great:

https://www.joann.com/soft-comfort-brush-18-0-taklon-spotter/zprd_10856631a/

And when you paint those details, it's really helpful to have a magnifying headset, which are cheap on eBay.

Also, the quality of the acrylics makes a difference from what I've seen, but what is more important is providing nuance to the paint work. So, work in slightly different blends to mix in the skin tones where the actor may have more red or white in his face, dry brush a lighter brown on the hair, and experiment with washes. I am using these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windward-W...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item257ab1c7c6

and they work pretty well. Apply it to ears, lips, eyes, and elsewhere, wipe it away apart from what stays in the creases, and the details in the sculpt will really pop. This also works well for stubble, though you would need to do multiple coats (a gun metal gray color would probably work for this guy).

Something else to help with the finish is to water down your paint before you apply it. You will need more coats, but the brush strokes won't be as apparent and you won't get the "caked on" look.

Last edited:
Back