12" cleaning

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazzy

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I am seriously considering opening and displaying my 12" Joe collection, before I was about to do it and put them in my newly customed cases (I broke some shelves out of an expedit :lol) , my wife said what about the dust? And that stopped me dead in my tracks to do what I have been putting off for a long time. Those that collect 12" figures how do you clean your 12" figures? does the dust stick pretty badly, I can just imagine it getting piled up in the creases...:monkey4

I know the other option is getting them behind glass, but probably won't be for awhile...but I think will look nicer, maybe a couple detolfs?

Any advice?

compressed air doesn't always get all dust off my stuff, it needs some sort of dusting tool like a makeup brush or something similar to avoid scratching.

I almost got to that point she was dusting and knocked the hand off of a statue, luckily it didn't break, but told her not to do it anymore.

I just use a soft brush to dust with.

soft_car_vent_detail_brush_1.jpg

And tape to pick up any lint or hair.

I wouldn't use compressed air from a shake can. Those have chemicals in it that might get on the figure and ruin it.

Whenever I use compressed air to clean figures I put my hand in front of the figure and spray my palm first. While continuing to spray I move my hand out of the way and spray the figure.

That way I prevent an occassional blast of liquid from getting on them when I press the spray button.

Whenever I use compressed air to clean figures I put my hand in front of the figure and spray my palm first. While continuing to spray I move my hand out of the way and spray the figure.

That way I prevent an occassional blast of liquid from getting on them when I press the spray button.

Not obsessive compulsive at all, eh? ;) (joking)

The pieces I do have on open shelves, I use short bursts of compressed canned air to blow dust away. Luckily, any dust build-up is very minimal.

Swiffers for what the compressed air doesn't get.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

I just use a soft brush to dust with.

soft_car_vent_detail_brush_1.jpg

And tape to pick up any lint or hair.

I wouldn't use compressed air from a shake can. Those have chemicals in it that might get on the figure and ruin it.

If you hold the can more than 6" away from the figure there's nothing to worry about. Plus it means you have to take your figures off the shelf/out of the detolf, to spray them so you can repose and re-appreciate! :lol

and if it's practical, invest in an air purifier that matches the room size your collection is in. invest in a good one..........:lecture

and if it's practical, invest in an air purifier that matches the room size your collection is in. invest in a good one..........:lecture

I have been wanting to do that, I also have been doing a lot of sanding of resin/clay, so that doesn't help either.

I think the detolfs might be my best bet, to at least minimalize the dust. I like those cases SS is distributing but pricey at $100.

Does the Waypoint fit in a detolf?

Only ever used a soft flat paint brush as can use corners for tight detail spots. Also make a spay bottle of 1 part white vinegar 3 parts water for glass display cabinets. It cleans glass without smears and white vinegar is disinfectnant , will evapourate in minutes leaving no residue unlike some cleaners on market.

Why didn't you just keep the expedit in tact and whack a sheet or two of clear acrylic over the front? Or whack up some rails and put some glass up if you don't like the idea of acrylic.

I like these, lens cleaning brushes - they let you brush and blow at the same time:

clean_camera_1.jpg

Back