1/6 scale Snowspeeder scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More work done on the rear cockpit. I've connected the harpoon gun to the controls with a brass rod, so they move together.

snow061.jpg

snow062.jpg

snow063.jpg

The controls are held on with magnets, so getting figures in and out is easier.

snow064.jpg

Luke's arms are quite stiff, so the magnets pull away a little when moving the gun. If i use an old body with looser joints, the controls should move freely.

snow065.jpg

Added more detail to the controls. I'll install an LED to illuminate the targeting screen.

snow066.jpg

Harpoon gun under construction. It's hinged to raise or lower as well. I've decided to leave the interior for the time being, as i don't want to get bogged down right now, doing all the finicky detail. It's too easy to spend several hours working on an area the size of a postage stamp. I'll go back to it, once the bulk of the build is complete.

snow067.jpg

Brackets for the air brakes under construction.

snow068.jpg

snow069.jpg

Just truly outstanding work. As Talibane mentioned previously, a 1/6 Snowspeeder is probably the single biggest vehicle grail piece for me too. Your work somehow makes it seem attainable and yet completely out of reach due to your scratch building skills and accuracy.

What thickness of plasticard are you using for your construction? It seems pretty weighty to keep the build rigid enough and yet your cutting work is exceptional on it.

Most of it is 2mm thick, with the panelling detail 1mm thick glued on top of that. 2mm is the thickest, that can still be easily scored and snapped.

Constructed the inner wing boxes. These are still to be detailed.

snow070.jpg

Started work on the engines. All the cylindrical parts are taking a very long time to make.

snow071.jpg

The engines are composed mainly of short lengths of tubes of different diameters. To buy all of the required sizes would be very expensive. I got around this by buying a length of plumbing pipe, then built collars from plasticard to expand it to the correct diameter. It's slow and fiddly this way, but saved a lot of money.

snow072.jpg

I truly do not understand how you're all to build all this from hand, it's impressively good. My jaw is on the floor with all of your updates.

Engines almost complete. They've been built in sections to allow a degree of flex, since the front and rear wing boxes do not line up exactly.

snow073.jpg

Shown assembled. There are still some cooling fins to add.

snow074.jpg

Fitted to the wing. I'll glue them solid only at the end of the build, as there is too much flex in the wings right now, to determine the exact positioning.

snow075.jpg

Great problem solving and use of materials... Exquisite detailing. I can?t stop staring at all the panel line spacing :clap

Great problem solving and use of materials... Exquisite detailing. I can?t stop staring at all the panel line spacing :clap

Yeah, I stare at that zoomed in over and over and just can't figure it out. Marine Boy doesn't just have amazing styrene skills, he is master level. It's almost beyond belief that human hands could be that accurate.

This snowspeeder is a unique and incredibly accurate project and showcases craft skills that few people will ever come close to.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. :D

Started work on the laser cannons. Made from water pipe and fittings.

snow076.jpg

Shown assembled.

snow077.jpg

Added more detail to the wing boxes.

snow078.jpg

Barrel mounts attached. They are held in place with springs to prevent breakage. The barrels themselves will be left detachable.

snow079.jpg

Most of the major assemblies complete, just the muzzle brakes to do now. Then it's just a case of going back and layering more detail on.

snow080.jpg

Barrels still need to be cut down slightly.

snow081.jpg

One thing i was not prepared for was the weight. It must be about 8kg now, even at this unfinished state. This is the first time it has been all screwed together. The left wing is pulling away from the fuselage, hence the gaps around the cockpit. I will have to add more reinforcement in that area.

snow082.jpg

Obviously this build is beyond impressive. The level of detail you achieving is next level +++.

My Favorite part of it all though is how you are engineering the "under the hood" things like the lever to connect to the harpoon gun, the laser cannon barrel mounts, and the canopy and brake flap pistons.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Obviously this build is beyond impressive. The level of detail you achieving is next level +++.

My Favorite part of it all though is how you are engineering the "under the hood" things like the lever to connect to the harpoon gun, the laser cannon barrel mounts, and the canopy and brake flap pistons.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Exactly, what he said!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Awesome build!
Can you tell me if the 88cm in length is the full length including the front cannons?
I?m about to build a Snowspeeder myself, but a bit unsure about the dimensions.

Back