1/6 scale Snowspeeder scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lines are created by gluing separate panels close together. Scribing the lines to a consistent width and depth, particularly over such a large surface, would have been impossible. Any mistakes would be very hard to rectify. Making each panel at a time, is much easier and gives a clean, crisp edge.

Working on the underside of the wing surfaces right now. The paper model has no detail underneath at all, so it's taking a bit longer.

Work done to the underside. I've used up all my large sheets of plasticard, so i'll work on some of the smaller assemblies until more arrives.

snow011.jpg

Made the front wing boxes and added more detail to the rear ones.

snow012.jpg

snow013.jpg

snow014.jpg

snow015.jpg

It's been so fun to watch this build!! I am very impressed by your problem solving skills!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Looks awesome. Before you put the cannons and harpoon gun on you should cast it (or have someone cast it) - I would guess a 1/6 resin snowspeeder kit would be a pretty good seller.

I've been trying to get a 1/6 snowspeeder forever and was excited when Epic Models announced theirs - but then they went quiet and disappeared without a trace.

Looks awesome. Before you put the cannons and harpoon gun on you should cast it (or have someone cast it) - I would guess a 1/6 resin snowspeeder kit would be a pretty good seller.

I've been trying to get a 1/6 snowspeeder forever and was excited when Epic Models announced theirs - but then they went quiet and disappeared without a trace.
There was a guy on Facebook that sold a small run. He did quite the job. Phil's Customs i believe. He also has a cool speeder from the Solo movie that looks amazing.

This build had given me hope i might be able to scratch build one eventually.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Today's progress, Made the airbrakes and added more detail to the front wing boxes.

snow016.jpg

I think the Snowspeeder is actually very well suited to a scratchbuild project, as it is mainly flat panels and straight lines. If you are willing to scrimp on some of the accuracy and detailing, you could have a reasonable representation of it, in a short time.

It's not realistic to make a mould of it, as it's so big. I just don't have the room or resources, to do it.

Wow, how do you cut this stuff - with a C&C router etc? That can't be hand-cut.

It's all hand cut, with no more than a scalpel and a steel rule.

You are ****ing kidding me.:lol In that case my :clap becomes :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap. :lol

Seriously, that's superb craftsmanship - the curves are so smooth and the narrow joints between the panels perfectly parallel.

Of all the people working on cool stuff in social isolation, this has to be the coolest.:lecture

A great build and kudos for scratchbuilding this brother and isn't easy and takes skill & talent to do it.

Makes a refreshing change from seeing "others" downloading 3d models and printing them or getting China / HK to do it for them :wink1:

This is on my to do list along with everything else.........:impatient:

Awesome job buddy :hi5:

More progress on the wings. Added more panel detail on the wing boxes.

snow017.jpg

Made the underside wing panels. Once they are glued to the top sides, they will become a lot more rigid. These are the largest sub-assemblies, so i'll be glad to get them done and move onto the smaller parts.

snow018.jpg

snow019.jpg

More progress on the wings. Added more panel detail on the wing boxes.

View attachment 483626

Made the underside wing panels. Once they are glued to the top sides, they will become a lot more rigid. These are the largest sub-assemblies, so i'll be glad to get them done and move onto the smaller parts.

Looking amazing. How did you hand cut those two "etched" circles in that top square panel? Like with a template and scalpel, or with a compass scalpel or something? Also that small curved rhombus on the left sloped panel - how do you get those tiny rounded corners so smooth?

I'm just blown away you can hand cut such tiny (and numerous) shapes so smoothly and glue all the separate tiny panels together so evenly! All the tiny channels between the sub-panels are perfectly spaced.:horror

Making the circles was the hardest part. I have a circle cutter, but it is too big for these. These are about 50mm in diameter, so had to be cut by hand. Use a file to smooth them out.

Most of the wings now done. I want to try to minimise any visible screw heads.

snow020.jpg

Detail of the air intakes.

snow021.jpg

Back