1/6 scale Snowspeeder scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Underside wing panelling pretty much done. Air brake flaps next to do.

snow022.jpg

snow023.jpg

snow024.jpg

Work done to the back end. I'm making this part removable, so detailing the interior is easier.

snow025.jpg

Engine cover. This part will be covered in greeblies before the fins are added.

snow026.jpg

Shown assembled.

snow027.jpg

I made the canopy frames too thin, so have corrected that. I have a stand-in Luke, made from Hasbro parts and a HT head for now. The SS version is stupidly expensive now, and the headsculpt isn't the greatest.

snow028.jpg

Checking the gunner's seat for room.

snow029.jpg

This build is coming along amazing.

Are you finding your scale conversion of that file to result in a fairly accurate translation to 1/6? It seems to look like it does based on your build photos.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'd say it worked out pretty well. Getting the shape of the wings correct is very important, as it ties into all the other parts. If you get it wrong, all the adjoining panels end up looking wonky as well. I've seen many scratchbuilds, beautifully finished and painted, that still look a bit "off".

Tied up the areas where the wings join and made the air scoop on the underside.

snow030.jpg

snow031.jpg

More work done around the airbrakes.

snow032.jpg

Adding detail to the airscoop. I'd like to add an articulated mounting point here, so i don't have an ugly visible joint on the stand. Problem is i won't know the position of the CofG, until the model is almost complete.

snow033.jpg

snow034.jpg

Pretty pleased with it so far, considering it's only been a month. I made some errors along the way, so time was lost fixing them.

Today's update: more detailing done to the underside. Still more to add.

snow035.jpg

One of the brake flaps under construction.

snow036.jpg

Took a while to make sure it lined up with the existing panels.

snow037.jpg

Just to add the greeblies and they're done.

snow038.jpg

snow039.jpg

Detailing the rear engine panel. I don't have much in the way of spare kit parts, so i'm having to make most of it from scratch.

snow040.jpg

One of the cooling fins. Each one is made from 10 separate panels.

snow041.jpg

Partially assembled.

snow042.jpg

snow043.jpg

Your detailing is insane! I still don't understand how you make thus by hand, it's so awesome! Excellent work!

Your detailing is insane! I still don't understand how you make thus by hand, it's so awesome! Excellent work!

Yeah, in an increasingly 3D-printed customs world, this project (and the Izzy Falcon) are singular achievements. The work put into this is mind-blowing. "Hand-made" in every sense of the word.

To me demonstrates a real love for the subject matter - exploring these objects in ultra-close detail, understanding every little element because you're hand-building it.

It's like a guy, a scalpel and a pile of plasticard and boom - an incredibly realistic and ultra-detailed 1/6 Snowspeeder just forms from thin air. It's just so damned impressive.:clap :clap :clap

How he gets the lines (especially curves) so clean and consistent (esp. over multiples) I have no idea. It almost looks like CNC, especially the "etched" lines on panels, but it's not.

Back