1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys,

I'm so late in the game because I finally got my hands on a HT DX05 Indy thanks to the board's Sales Forum! I've seen some really wonderful mods here but I've decided to more or less keep the figure strictly stock to the HT parts. I do want to mod the head, particularly removing the "man-liner." Thanks to those who blazed the trail below, esp. with taking apart the PERS assembly.

However, I also came across a similar procedure from the xl-shop.com forum, in which someone actually grinded away from the inside of the eye chamber (in addition to removing the eyeliner, Quote: "Take the eye balls out, trim the edges, grind the inner room and use spring to push the eyeballs!!!"), resulting in slighter larger eyes due to bigger openings. This extra step seems scary, so, has anyone done this before? I have a dremel, but maybe something like this is done better slowly by hand?

Also a question for Wor-Gar, why is an X-Acto bad for scraping off the eyeliner, is it because the surface to be scraped isn't flat?

IndianaJones04.jpg

Here are the fantastic tutorials from earlier in this thread (from 2011!) ...thanks to those who shared these!

Here we go then.
Hair off, we all know what this looks like:
head01.jpg

Next remove the whole rear section. no need to undo the screws they only hold the manip lever. ETA: maybe it is wise to take the joystick out before you remove the back section the first time, might put strain on the lever.
The rear section is glued in and needs prizing out and it is as tough as taking off SS Indy's Hat:
head02.jpg

Here you see the eye carriage inside the sculpt.

Next I prized out the eyes they will pop out, but warm the sculpt if you like to ease the process:
head03.jpg

And then very carefully scraped away the darker eyelid colour. But be really careful. I take no responsibility for your actions.
head04.jpg

Didn't overpaint the eyelashes, they happened to be lighter on the sculpt I chose to do these mods on.

Now excuse me whilst I put this puppy back together again.

OK, I did the PERS removal to get at the guyliner. Phew! Nerve-wracking. DON'T USE AN EXACTO BLADE to scrap off the eyeliner. Anyway, after having to scrape and the sand and then repaint, I did it. Not for the faint of heart.

Here's pics of what happens to the head as was so perfectly expressed by Cavlcade. Getting the PERS out is fairly easy -- just be gentle when prying the lever piece away from the head.

Extra pics just for edification:

PERS...unscrew...remove lever and pry from head...this is what you get...pull out eyes!

removingPERS11-6-11.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, my hobby is a little bit lost at the moment. Priorities changed torwards family. So I have got an Inigo V1 Indy painted by Jacob Rahmier to sell. If someone is interested, pm me.

Ice

Also a question for Wor-Gar, why is an X-Acto bad for scraping off the eyeliner, is it because the surface to be scraped isn't flat?

Wow, that is an old tutorial. To be honest, I can't remember why the x-acto was bad to use... but I think its because it scrapes unevenly and if too sharp you run the risk of slicing skin off the eye area.

Hey guys, my hobby is a little bit lost at the moment. Priorities changed torwards family. So I have got an Inigo V1 Indy painted by Jacob Rahmier to sell. If someone is interested, pm me.

Ice

Wow, that is an old tutorial. To be honest, I can't remember why the x-acto was bad to use... but I think its because it scrapes unevenly and if too sharp you run the risk of slicing skin off the eye area.

Yikes! I can see that happening, it's hard to come back from eye openings with a jagged edge. My woodshop teacher used to tell us, if you drill a hole in the wrong place, you just need to bring your plank up to the roof where there's a hole mover machine, lol!

My current Indy setup:

M.J. Choi head painted by Mark Simpson, Inigo fedora, Yunsil clothes, mfisher gear, DX05 body, rest DX05 standard.

06_indy6dczb.jpg

Ice

I´v got only one Indy. He shall represent the character as a whole, not referring to one of the four movies.

Here is the smaller Indiana Jones sculpt next to the Treasure Hunter. I painted the eyes on the Treasure hunter, darkened the stubble and put on the Sideshow Raiders hat on him.

For the smaller sculpt I just painted the skin and the stubble as I thought the eyes were spot on. It may be hard to tell in the pic but the head is slightly smaller as well as some of the features on it.

I have the smaller sculpt on all my original trilogy Indy's. Here is the wounded Temple of Doom version with the Hot Toys hat. I am always tinkering with them and trying to upgrade the clothes but I can't see me changing the head sculpts.

Attachments

• 20180820_190844-1.jpg
    20180820_190844-1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_2018-08-20-19-05-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-20-19-05-42.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_2018-08-12-01-34-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-12-01-34-34.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_2018-08-12-01-34-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-12-01-34-44.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 186
Just received the smiling Indiana Jones head from the talented Jeff Vargas.
emerald.jpg

Last edited:
Back