1/6 INART (Queen Studio) - The Dark Knight - Joker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gaps on posable eyes are an engineering and manufacturing/tolerancing issue. The gaps don’t HAVE to be there but they are when poorly engineered.

The QS001’s eye lids are functionally perfect with no gap at all. This could be done at 1:6 and I’ve heard the more recent Hot Toys 1:6 posable eyes are of similar quality but haven’t seen any in person yet.

This is something that could change wildly from prototype to production model. For better or worse. In theory a well engineered and manufactured part with fine tolerances should be close to perfect. Just design eye lids digitally and subtract spheres a small percentage larger than the eyes you’d use. I think where the gaps start is when the socket either isn’t true to form (likely do to manufacturing or materials) and the eyelids bend outwards or the socket is too small (due to poor design or bad tolerances in manufacturing) and the eyeballs push them out.

With the old hot toys 1:6 versions you could tell they just weren’t designed well. The DX12 and Armory have caruncles that simply don’t follow the curve of a sphere. It’s like they designed 2 dimensional eye lids so you had big gaps at the corners of the eyes. They eyes also had canthal tilt that was completely off from the actor, something queen did with TDK 1:3 Batman where his eyes look droopy.

Magnets can be very strong. I cant tell you how many hot toy hands i had fall off tho. And how many pegs break. Just take a look at the tusken hot toy thread discussions. This is a HUGE and long over due improvement by qs
That's true, I hate fragile plastic wrist pegs, I wish some kind of metal connection could be the standard but that's unlikely. The magnet thing is just my personal preference, at this point I'll just hope they use super duper magnets like you mention lol, then it won't bother me much.

The gaps on posable eyes are an engineering and manufacturing/tolerancing issue. The gaps don’t HAVE to be there but they are when poorly engineered.

The QS001’s eye lids are functionally perfect with no gap at all. This could be done at 1:6 and I’ve heard the more recent Hot Toys 1:6 posable eyes are of similar quality but haven’t seen any in person yet.

This is something that could change wildly from prototype to production model. For better or worse. In theory a well engineered and manufactured part with fine tolerances should be close to perfect. Just design eye lids digitally and subtract spheres a small percentage larger than the eyes you’d use. I think where the gaps start is when the socket either isn’t true to form (likely do to manufacturing or materials) and the eyelids bend outwards or the socket is too small (due to poor design or bad tolerances in manufacturing) and the eyeballs push them out.

With the old hot toys 1:6 versions you could tell they just weren’t designed well. The DX12 and Armory have caruncles that simply don’t follow the curve of a sphere. It’s like they designed 2 dimensional eye lids so you had big gaps at the corners of the eyes. They eyes also had canthal tilt that was completely off from the actor, something queen did with TDK 1:3 Batman where his eyes look droopy.
Sure, if things can be done perfectly that would be great. Companies just aren't there yet. I just don't want to look at a photo of a figure and immediately be able to tell if it has PERS- before I've even known that was a feature. It's always so obvious - In 1/6 at least. I looked at the Hot toys Ashoka and could tell it had PERS instantly. Hers look a little better than others though, but primarily being due to the fact the character is in cartoon form- not human.

There's a reason the queen studios 1/6 cop joker has a better likeness to Ledger. I would be very content with sinister static eyes like that, than being able to move them and losing likeness.
1647888775489.png

Sure, if things can be done perfectly that would be great. Companies just aren't there yet. I just don't want to look at a photo of a figure and immediately be able to tell if it has PERS- before I've even known that was a feature. It's always so obvious - In 1/6 at least. I looked at the Hot toys Ashoka and could tell it had PERS instantly. Hers look a little better than others though, but primarily being due to the fact the character is in cartoon form- not human.

There's a reason the queen studios 1/6 cop joker has a better likeness to Ledger. I would be very content with sinister static eyes like that, than being able to move them and losing likeness.
View attachment 568044
Yeah full disclosure I don’t think I’ve seen a 1:6 figure where I felt it was executed well enough. I find it more tolerable on things like the DX19 than a full human portrait. Eye make up and masks make it all feel more believable.

I just took another look at the figure previews for The Mandalorian Luke and it looks like the eye corner gaps are pretty visible on the prototype. It’s very jarring on a bare human face.

I think companies should keep working on it though but if they’re seeing signs it can’t be manufactured well enough they should do painted eyes with different expressions.

That looks terrible. Hopefully they have a solution to make that look presentable otherwise I can see them taking a lot of flack when people end up with that.
Yeah, reminds me of the HT T-800 figures that have light up eyes/PERS, really visible seam.

Comic sanctorum is offering free pre order accesssories? I can only imagine what those are..

Is the TW/CS preorder bonus accessory even related to Joker or TDK?

TW/CS shipping is usually quite high so I'm probably more inclined to buy through another store.

GiantToys seems to be $30 cheaper than OSK. SpecFic (free shipping, no tax) might actually be the cheapest if you pay fully upfront and with the 3% discount - I might go that route.

If PERS is done well it can be a great feature for poses and such, unfortunately for PERS to work there will always have to be a gap I think in Joker's case it works better since he has black makeup around his eyes which helps conceal the gap, at the end of the day if I have to choose between a PERS sculpt or just a normal one, I'll choose the latter.

Is the TW/CS preorder bonus accessory even related to Joker or TDK?

TW/CS shipping is usually quite high so I'm probably more inclined to buy through another store.

GiantToys seems to be $30 cheaper than OSK. SpecFic (free shipping, no tax) might actually be the cheapest if you pay fully upfront and with the 3% discount - I might go that route.
The bonus accessory is diecast handcuffs and every retailer will have it for people who ordered in the first 24 hours.

So, like me, it seems most people here PO'd from Kit.

Curious if anyone ordered elsewhere? Toyswonderland? I see GianToy is offering now as well.
Interesing GianToy is selling it, I thought they only do unlicensed stuff.

I'm think most people would agree PERS when it's executed right can make a figure more dynamic. It's just makes collectors nervous. It's one more piece of delicate tooling that can absolutely sink an awesome figure during production. Hence why some people would rather just not bother with it.

Might have actually gone with GianToys instead had they put it up in time, since they also have it for slightly cheaper.

Both OSK and them are great options though.

The magnet thing is just my personal preference, at this point I'll just hope they use super duper magnets like you mention lol, then it won't bother me much.

As long as the magnetism doesn't wear off over time, its a brilliant idea... I hate every time I want to switch hands I have to foul up my pose so I can get a grip on the arm.

Might have actually gone with GianToys instead had they put it up in time, since they also have it for slightly cheaper.

Both OSK and them are great options though.

The paranoia worked... order fast, no shopping. :lol

I do like that Kit hangs around here and gives good information. That covers the extra cost.

Back