1/6 Hot Toys - The Book of Boba Fett: R5-D4, Pit Droid and BD-72 set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 1685717437132.png
    1685717437132.png
    845.7 KB · Views: 0
The one thing I'm sad about this being switched from ANH to Mando is that he no longer has the reflective parts around the neck. That was always my favorite feature of R5, but in Mando/Fett they're just grey metal. In the early prototypes you can see the squares shine, but after the switch to Fett they're now gone (as appropriate for that appearance).

I'd prefer ANH version to be honest but I'll still take R5 either way, maybe someone can make stickers for me to use! Or perhaps I might find the sideshow version (with its inaccurate eyes) for cheap once the Hot Toys equivalent releases

p49RjUQ.jpg

Last edited:
The one thing I'm sad about this being switched from ANH to Mando is that he no longer has the reflective parts around the neck. That was always my favorite feature of R5, but in Mando/Fett they're just grey metal. In the early prototypes you can see the squares shine, but after the switch to Fett they're now gone (as appropriate for that appearance).

I'd prefer ANH version to be honest but I'll still take R5 either way, maybe someone can make stickers for me to use! Or perhaps I might find the sideshow version (with its inaccurate eyes) for cheap once the Hot Toys equivalent releases

p49RjUQ.jpg
While HT did preview a (somewhat rough) ANH-style R5-D4 four years ago, since last year they switched to the D+ style R5, and that's what has gone up for PO.

It isn't majorly noticeable, but a lot of the fine detail is quite different between the D+ style R5 and the ANH. A few of the main points on the head/neck are shown below.

The main three "eyes" are different (red boxes in pic - ANH above, D+ below), as are the various metallic "face details" (two examples circled in orange, but they are all different.)

On the neck both the rectangles (green boxes in pic - ANH iridescent silver stickers vs D+ sculpted circles) and the frames between the rectangles (thin on ANH, wide on D+) are different. The bare metal neck ring (circled in blue) is also somewhat different.

R5s.png

Last edited:
Put myself on the waitlist for this set. Mainly want it for the Pit Droid but I’m curious if the R5-D4 is an upgrade over my Sideshow version.

Almost a shock to see this actually shipping - it seems to have been popping up at cons in various forms (originally with ANH detailing, later changed to Mando detailing) for so many years, often in later years without much discussion or pics on websites at all.

I recall one SDCC attendee on YT a few years ago doing the video walk-through of the con display and just panning straight past poor ol' R5 without so much as a pause let alone mention.

I have the Sideshow ANH version but will probably get this Mando version as I'm super curious to see them side by side and always loved the R5 look.

I have the Sideshow ANH version but will probably get this Mando version as I'm super curious to see them side by side and always loved the R5 look.

Same! Not sure why, but he's always been my favorite astromech. Was pretty cool for me when of all the droids to give mando he ended up with R5 :lol

I also got the sideshow one which is great, but looking forward to this one as well as the BD and pit droid.

Wonder what the pit droid will go for secondary market. Wouldn't mind another 1 or 2.

For those of you guys who own Hot Toys and Sideshow astromechs, what is the quality between them? How sturdy are they, and what about the features? Thanks

It's night and day. SS R2 and HT are opposites. HT is sturdy and hefty with an abundance of accessories typically. SS feels cheap, flimsy and lite.

It's night and day. SS R2 and HT are opposites. HT is sturdy and hefty with an abundance of accessories typically. SS feels cheap, flimsy and lite.
Agreed. I had the SS R2 and sent it back. Too many small issues with it. Middle leg not retracting, top panels stuck etc. sent C3PO back as well. Wasn’t impressed with texture/colours. Look too cheap and plastic for my liking.

For those of you guys who own Hot Toys and Sideshow astromechs, what is the quality between them? How sturdy are they, and what about the features? Thanks
I would agree that ht are so much better but I like my r5 and don’t like him enough to upgrade like I did with r2

I only own the HT R2 now, but had an SSC back in the day. In my opinion they're not even close. The HT feels more solid, has a more accurate appearance in terms of colours and materials used such as the metal dome, and has *a lot* of accessories in terms of the interchangeable tools seen in all the films.

The sideshow r2 is indeed night and day differences up against the Hot toys R2.

Honestly though, my sideshow r5 isn't anywhere near as floppy feeling even though it does feel very light still. So I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up still if you see it for a decent price and prefer the ANH deco.

Back