1/6 Hot Toys - MMS729/729B - John Wick Chapter 4: John Wick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hope HT didn't romanticize Donnie's height because that Cane is looking pretty tall. Hopefully it's a matter of the photography and not the proto, itself.

Definitely their best Keanu sculpt to date.
1690763182759.png

Hope those aren’t the accessories or at least all the weapons because they make no sense!! Correct me if I wrong but John doesn’t use the sword, rifle and nunchucks in that suit right? No shotgun which he actually uses in that suit… and I’m guessing no holsters or pouches on the belt (plus probably looks awful without the jacket and vest) so can’t accurately use the duelling pistol… it’s like they don’t want you using the weapons! Pretty sure Cains pistol is inaccurate too. That said I need both of the figures!

John Wick: Chapter 4 - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

Looks like they gave Caine the pistol that Wick used in the opening scene with the horse in the desert. Which allows HT to basically reuse the pistol mold from the their previous Wick 2 figure release.

The missing TTI magazine fed shotgun is glaring. Maybe they add that in later. It's hard to say. HT didn't go cheap on weapons in their previous release. But who knows with this one. Remember the Falconer Predator? HT tried to sell it in early promo photos WITHOUT the falcon. WTF. Then people kept complaining and they added one in very quickly. This might be one of those things where it would help if 10 thousand people sent HT a message about the weapons loadout. But it's not likely to happen.

So JW4 is going to get third party support in some fashion. So we might still see a TTI shotgun later in a non HT set. ( But what if it's trapped in an Extreme Zone set or a Gangster's Kingdom set....sigh...) But I'd rather they included in with this set. But maybe HT is planning a DX version later, that covers all four films and tries to milk even more money from collectors. The person doing the display might have mixed up the weapons though, that's a possibility. Any chance HT has to do a "mold lift", then they will. If they can reuse something from another figure, even if it's not screen accurate.

The Tracker would have been a pretty cool third figure in this wave. I mean he's got a pretty robust and interesting loadout, plus a dog would be cool. But maybe HT doesn't think it would sell well as a dog would jack up the price inclusive to a figure. Also the actor is not a huge brand name actor. If the role went to someone like Dave Bautista, etc, etc, maybe HT would have green lighted a Tracker figure.

John Wick - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

Thanks for the pictures, appreciate it. Looks like Caine's 2nd smaller pistol is the HK P30L from the first film and from the previous HT Wick figure release, just without the compensator and with the addition of what looks like a laser sight.

I didn't get the original HT boxed set, so it's unclear if the compensator segmented off or not to make this an easy mold lift replacement for HT in this release. It would be nice to get another chance at a HT P30L, as secondary market prices for Wick's guns are pretty steep, but wish they added in a compensator so those who wanted to do a first film Wick could have some options.

In some sets, I recognize why HT will cheap out on the guns. For the first Captain America, I recognize why he got a 1st Gen style 45 pistol that was far less than the current quality grade being released on most figures at the time. But on a set like this, for a big action film, where the guns are such a huge part of everything, and the likely price tag on these guys will be robust, it would be nice if HT didn't find the routine corner cutting strategy on the guns here.

Same thing with the original release. Would it have killed them to include holsters for the pistols, some ammo pouches for the belt and the shotgun shell harness from the 2nd film? How much would that have actually set them back in production costs?

I don’t really like effect pieces but that would be awesome… however I just hope they actually include the shotgun since it hasn’t been shown yet

1200px-TTI_Gen-12.jpg

Lot of new tooling.

I would like to see it as well. But HT doesn't have a military line anymore, where it can try to defuse it's costs by reusing the mold elsewhere. If it pumps out another M4/AR15 platform, it can reuse the core receiver from first Wick, Expendables Barney Ross, Terminator Salvation John Connor, Suicide Squad Deadshot, etc, etc.

The Wick sets might have been better via Soldier Story for the guns, while HT clearly has a heavy advantage in the headsculpts department. Even DID's weapons development in 1/6th has taken a massive leap forward, but they also pump out far more military sets.

Also it's unclear how hard Taran Butler will mate guard anything under his license. Third party support could remove the TTI logo, but unclear what else is too specific to use. IIRC, it's not like TTI can do very well trying to sue a more fringe Chinese company, but you can still get stuff bottlenecked in customs for infringement, etc, etc.

My guess is if HT won't make it, then eventually Easy Simple will pump out some equivalent at some point. However there's a certain price threshold where people don't want to have to scrounge to find other solutions.

I was far more forgiving of WW2 back in the day when I collected it. But I understood when some folks, deep into WW2 history and research, were really precise about the right cloth, right color, the right badges, the right cut and shape, etc, etc. It wasn't my bag, but I get it. We all are "precise" about something. I'm just nitpicky about the guns. I want the guns right. That's my personal no-go zone for 1/6th. But HT is likely banking on most collectors not caring too much about the guns, as most are probably not heavily into firearms at all.

Last edited:
View attachment 653174

Lot of new tooling.

I would like to see it as well. But HT doesn't have a military line anymore, where it can try to defuse it's costs by reusing the mold elsewhere. If it pumps out another M4/AR15 platform, it can reuse the core receiver from first Wick, Expendables Barney Ross, Terminator Salvation John Connor, Suicide Squad Deadshot, etc, etc.

The Wick sets might have been better via Soldier Story for the guns, while HT clearly has a heavy advantage in the headsculpts department. Even DID's weapons development in 1/6th has taken a massive leap forward, but they also pump out far more military sets.

Also it's unclear how hard Taran Butler will mate guard anything under his license. Third party support could remove the TTI logo, but unclear what else is too specific to use. IIRC, it's not like TTI can do very well trying to sue a more fringe Chinese company, but you can still get stuff bottlenecked in customs for infringement, etc, etc.

My guess is if HT won't make it, then eventually Easy Simple will pump out some equivalent at some point. However there's a certain price threshold where people don't want to have to scrounge to find other solutions.

I was far more forgiving of WW2 back in the day when I collected it. But I understood when some folks, deep into WW2 history and research, were really precise about the right cloth, right color, the right badges, the right cut and shape, etc, etc. It wasn't my bag, but I get it. We all are "precise" about something. I'm just nitpicky about the guns. I want the guns right. That's my personal no-go zone for 1/6th. But HT is likely banking on most collectors not caring too much about the guns, as most are probably not heavily into firearms at all.
I don’t think it’s a licensing issue with the guns since John Wick has had various figures and merchandise granted at smaller scales and other than the 1911 pistol he uses at the end of JW2 the weapons have been fairly accurate to the movies as fair as I can tell.

In fact rather questionably the SH Figuarts Chapter 2 John Wick in the white shirt came with the Rome weapon loadout and not the 1911 pistol.

I am nitpicky about accessories especially when they don’t match the specific version of the figure in question

I hope hot toys doesnt cuck us with this John wick 😭 I’m saving my SS rewards for this!!!!

Can't wait for when both go up for preorder. They look amazing together and they'll make the shelf pop.

Back