1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-year old me thought ROTJ was awesome. While it's an integral part of the OT and retains legendary status, it really doesn't hold up for me as an adult relative to the other films. But that's not an uncommon sentiment and to be expected. ESB has the most depth but without ANH, no ESB. As far as the OT is concerned, you take the good with the bad. This is true for all Star Wars media, of course -- but the contrasts seem to grow more pronounced over the years.

Now, years after the glut of nostalgia and content triggered by HT getting the license and the advent of Disney Star Wars ... most of this property is more of a ... feeling or an idea, like most old memories.

Idly posting on this forum is the most time I give it and while that's often significant when I have down time (I don't restart work for a couple weeks yet), this stuff really isn't a part of my daily life anymore. Were it not for these streaming shows -- the good and the bad -- I wouldn't even have much to smack talk or praise online.

I like the discussions we have so thank you for sharing your thoughts. We’re all fans but have different perspectives and ideas which I appreciate seeing.

As someone born after the OT, the OT is still the central pillar but was also always one element of Star Wars for me. There was already a ton of Expanded Universe books, comics, and video games to dive into and the PT came not too long after. So I tend to have a more open ended view of what feels like Star Wars.

As you said, you take the good with the bad which is very true. But that was always an integral part of my experience so I don’t feel that contrast any more prominently now during the streaming era.

I was just thinking the other day that despite ESB being unassailable as the best from a cinematic and storytelling standpoint, ROTJ has steadily turned into my favorite OT movie.

I can’t grade it the highest but of the OT films, it gives me the most of what’s core to my own Star Wars experience. And at the end of the day, that’s really what it’s all about. It’s a big universe so you take what makes you happiest and try to not mind the rest.

Last edited:
He’s a boss level henchman in ANH.
ANH - Bodyguard.
ESB - Supreme Commander of the Imperial Fleet

Although I do believe Vader was more of a right-hand in ANH, I viewed him more as the right-hand of the Emperor rather than Tarkin. His old sorcerer's ways separated him from the Empire and gave him a dangerous mystical quality... he was an entity unto himself, serving his own needs (his disobeyed Tarkin in his hunt for Ben). I never saw him as an Oddjob level bodyguard or underling. He was like an SS officer among the generals.

Also, let's not forget that even as Vader appeared as a war dog for Tarkin, it was Vader who actually came up with the plan that located the secret rebel base and its near destruction. He was a physically intimidating villain as well as a strategic thinker.

In ESB, the Emperor just put Vader in charge of his own mission so he appears to have this "ultimate Boss" standing. He's quickly brought back down to earth in ROTJ where he is clearly nothing more than a lap-dog to Palpatine.

After only 14 pages this thread is dead? Found on the 2nd page.

There was a time not long ago, before Disney destroyed Star Wars, where this was one of the most wanted figures ever.

Sad.

It's possible Vader is a figure so many people thought for sure was on the way for ROTJ 40th that the excitement just kinda faded quickly. The ESB reuse didn't help. And there was already another Vader available.

Hopefully there'll be a few surprises for ROTJ 40th that'll keep the threads on the 1st page.

After only 14 pages this thread is dead? Found on the 2nd page.

There was a time not long ago, before Disney destroyed Star Wars, where this was one of the most wanted figures ever.

Sad.
PT fans in charge now step aside old man you got your Tarkin.

Hayden Vader or bust lol

The reuse was always going to be an issue... but the Shaw head is so well done.

I think the OT has finally run its course and the fandom is slimming out. Hayden crackhead got people more excited. From that embarrassing show too.

The reuse was always going to be an issue... but the Shaw head is so well done.

I think the OT has finally run its course and the fandom is slimming out. Hayden crackhead got people more excited. From that embarrassing show too.
It’s still a must-get piece. Grail for me.

Edit: ROTJ Vader. Not Kenobi Vader. But Kenobi Vader is cool, very cool.

It's possible Vader is a figure so many people thought for sure was on the way for ROTJ 40th that the excitement just kinda faded quickly. The ESB reuse didn't help. And there was already another Vader available.

Hopefully there'll be a few surprises for ROTJ 40th that'll keep the threads on the 1st page.
Yup, I think you hit the nail on the head. Even ppl who said they didn't care for the show or Hayden, just love the way the Kenobi Vader looks. Much more imposing and menacing as the character of Vader rather than who is portraying him in the suit and what show/movie they come from. As well done as the Shaw sculpt is, I remember seeing the reveal as a kid for the first time (on VHS, not the big screen) and being a little underwhelmed with that being how he looked under the mask. I respect the source material, but Shaw was only there for slowly dying and gasping for breath. And while accurate, the HT sculpt just looks old, sad and tired.

All that said, the ROTJ suit, while only mildly different than ESB, has always been my favorite; so, the ESB reuse on this figure really killed a lot of the excitement for me. Like others have said, if this was a scaled down version of their 1/4 ROTJ, it would make for a much more exciting reveal as the proportions there are so much better than the 1/6 ESB. It seems minor, but it really bugs me that the hook on the shoulder armor is attached to the cape chain instead, which sort of defeats its intended purpose of keeping the cape in place. I've got my fingers crossed that HT will eventually tweak the suit as whole.

Last edited:
Yup, I think you hit the nail on the head. Even ppl who said they didn't care for the show or Hayden, just love the way the Kenobi Vader looks. Much more imposing and menacing as the character of Vader rather than who is portraying him in the suit and what show/movie they come from. As well done as the Shaw sculpt is, I remember seeing the reveal as a kid for the first time (on VHS, not the big screen) and being a little underwhelmed with that being how he looked under the mask. I respect the source material, but Shaw was only there for slowly dying and gasping for breath. And while accurate, the HT sculpt just looks old, sad and tired.

All that said, the ROTJ suit, while only mildly different than ESB, has always been my favorite; so, the ESB reuse on this figure really killed a lot of the excitment for me. Like others have said, if this was as scaled down version of their 1/4 ROTJ, it would make for a much more exciting reveal as the proportions there are so much better than the 1/6 ESB. It seems minor, but it really bugs me that the hook on the shoulder armor is attached to the cape chain instead, which sort of defeats its intended purpose of keeping the cape in place. I've got my fingers crossed that HT will eventually tweak the suit as whole.

Exactly. The show was far from perfect but the OWK Vader figure itself is excellent, from a memorable duel, has an important PT connection, ties multiple eras together, and can pull double duty as a RO/Dark Times era Vader. Plus a lot of people already have money in it with active preorders.

Nothing but respect for the original ROTJ and Shaw and I fully understand why a lot of collectors have long wanted the sculpt. But I don't think I'd ever use it myself or the light up helmet. At which point this is mostly just a repackaged version of the ESB figure many of us already have with a different stand.

It's all those minor details you mentioned that are often the most important for diehard Star Wars fans. But the figure will sell to a broader audience without any of those changes so I think Hot Toys felt comfortable taking the easy way out.

I don't expect them to change much if anything so we can only hope the time and resources saved with this figure went towards whatever other figures are coming for ROTJ 40th.

Don’t make me whip out my…..

SS ROTJ Vader lol

NwlArpEmk-EA7WWK.jpg

While I don’t know all the differences between the Vaders like others here, I passed on the ESB one because I already had the ANH version which I have since sold. I’m pretty excited for this but again it’s because I don’t already own the ESB version. I also have the OWK Vader on PO because even though I didn’t care for the show I think the figure looks amazing.

I always loved Shaw’s reveal opening night it was gross yet sad.

I freaking hated the Ewoks taking out an entire legion of the Emperor’s best troops on opening night!

OWK Vader is bad ass nuff said.

Last edited:
Exactly. The show was far from perfect but the OWK Vader figure itself is excellent, from a memorable duel, has an important PT connection, ties multiple eras together, and can pull double duty as a RO/Dark Times era Vader. Plus a lot of people already have money in it with active preorders.

Nothing but respect for the original ROTJ and Shaw and I fully understand why a lot of collectors have long wanted the sculpt. But I don't think I'd ever use it myself or the light up helmet. At which point this is mostly just a repackaged version of the ESB figure many of us already have with a different stand.

It's all those minor details you mentioned that are often the most important for diehard Star Wars fans. But the figure will sell to a broader audience without any of those changes so I think Hot Toys felt comfortable taking the easy way out.

I don't expect them to change much if anything so we can only hope the time and resources saved with this figure went towards whatever other figures are coming for ROTJ 40th.
If they had just cut out leia altogether, it would have been better. I'm fine with vader going after kenobi as soon as he is able, not just giving up because the emporer tells him to. I didnt mind the 2nd sister story but i would have preferred that in a different show or its own show.

Back