1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS470 - Black Panther - New Black Panther Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really speaks to Marvel's integrity if they knew about his condition and still chose to hire him to carry such an important franchise for them.

I?m sure that?s something they may already be discussing soon. They could probably prepare something like that almost immediately.

The problem is the response they would get if they did it too quickly after today?s announcement.
Not right away, but it’s no different than them doing multiple Princess Leia figures after Carrie Fisher passed or multiple Stan Lee figures once he passed. I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see a new Black Panther figure.

It really speaks to Marvel's integrity if they knew about his condition and still chose to hire him to carry such an important franchise for them.

CA: Civil War ended filming in August 2015. From what I've read he wasnt diagnosed until 2016. But they definitely must've known when BP was being made and they loved him so much that they didnt replace him so that still speaks volumes.

Such terrible news, when I saw it on a news notification when I woke up this morning just couldn't believe it...I'm still in disbelief. RIP Chadwick Boseman - you were fantastic as the Black Panther. :(

I wish HT would make BP from EG or something like that as "*** you" gesture to all those scalpers.

Exactly this!!! I hate scalpers so much. Would love it if HT made that robed version they showed at one of the conventions (when they previewed the throne) a few years ago as some sort of tribute. I would love to have that figure in my collection.

I?m indifferent to scalpers ? sure they?re annoying but that?s supply and demand.

However, capitalizing on death is just low. Gotta draw the line there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a tragedy. Far too young. Those photos of him looking frail some time ago now make sense. Such a talented actor and wonderful person. May he rest in peace and my condolences to his family.

I dont normally get depressed over celebrity deaths, but Boseman is different.

2020 has been a pretty awful year.

Word. This one hit different. Even more heartbreaking to think he gave such performance whilst battling that *****. A real warrior 'till the end. My deepest respects and condolences.

I've been keeping my solo movie BP sealed in my closet because I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it or not but eventually I decided that I would sell it and risk waiting for a (hopefully) better figure from BP 2. Now I'm even more torn. I'm all about dignity and doing the right thing so do you guys think it would be okay to sell it for what it was going right before this madness or for the price I paid for it?

I admire my 9 year old?s words today:

?I am very sad about him being gone. But he won?t be forgotten because he lives in our hearts.?

a15660d344c598a7471de3f084cb5378.jpg

May he rest in peace.

As for the figure, I feel it's just a momentary spike in demand because of the current circumstance. BP 2 is a long way off definitely but I think once that comes out and the movie and costume design are better, this figure (not Boseman) will be long forgotten. I want a BP for my Endgame line up but this figure and headsculpt has a lot left to be desired. I prefer the CW version and think the TChaka version is the best looking one as a toy.

Anyone paying $600+ on eBay for this figure right now is a complete sucker. I know its morbid to discuss, but if anything right now is the time to try and sell your BP figure, even just throwing it up as an auction and letting the buyers decide the price. They have released the same two Spider-Man costumes twice now for Far From Home, and practically the same Star-Lord for Infinity War. All based on demand for those characters that would be easy to produce again, and heck they even made some small improvements for each. A repackage or straight up rerelease of this is inevitable, it is a smart business decision by Hot Toys and it will please a lot of collectors, so a total win-win. I personally was waiting for the next iteration since I never did love the head sculpt or the bunching in the waist area on this one. But if this is the only version of BP that will have a Boseman sculpt now, I would like to have it as a figure regardless.

People didnt suddenly become interested in this figure because he passed, its because now everyone thinks there will be no newer figures for this version of the character. Look at how many Caps, Black Widows, Buckys, Rockets, etc. they have produced. How could you blame someone for waiting for the next version if they werent thrilled with this one?

Last edited:
So whos gonna replace him for BP2?

Hard for me to believe that he didn't have discussions with Feige over this. I personally don't think they should recast T'Challa. Not just a one and done like Norton, but he has been in 4 Marvel movies.

But they could go with a new Black Panther mantle character, like Shuri. If they do, just look to Tenet. If Christopher Nolan thinks David Washington is a leading man, then he can be a leading man for anyone.

Many of us were waiting for the inevitable BP2 version because we didnt like their first attempt at his head sculpt.

Yeah, I passed on the BP version hoping for an improved movie suit and better sculpt down the line to go with my T'Chaka and Shuri. Not going to hunt this version down any more than I would have yesterday, though. Maybe they'll finally finish the casual robes T'Challa they never put up for PO, idk

Movie wise I figured Shuri would take over the Panther title years down the road, my guess would be them accelerating that. Hope they don't do the recast route, don't think that they would though.

I was thinking about this last night. I know "everyone" wants Shuri to be BP...but it might be more interesting to not just hand it to her right off the bat. I'd actually like to see them respect Chadwick's passing in the film. Maybe there's a state funeral and a new leader takes over. Maybe M'Baku steps up....it wasn't his time before, maybe it is now. Winston Duke could carry that. And maybe Shuri still becomes the BP.

Yeah I dont think that they will recast, maybe if he quit or was fired but since he died it would seem a bit disrespectful. They may be able to do some trickery like they did with Leia in The Rise of Skywalker (even though it was weird and you could tell it was off) and give him an actual in universe sendoff near the start of the next film and then have someone else take up the mantle.

Hope they could somehow bring back killmonger. Really love MBJ’s acting.

Hows the suit on killmonger and BP btw? Is it similar quality like selina kyle figure from TDKR that will flake in a few years time?

Man, I really don't understand how you can think that Chadwick Boseman (an excellent actor and as tragic as his death was) is bigger than the Black Panther, he will always be dear and remembered as the first Black Panther, but Marvel has to recast the character because T'challa has to be the face of the Avengers now in a world of Black Life Matters.

Hope they could somehow bring back killmonger. Really love MBJ?s acting.

Hows the suit on killmonger and BP btw? Is it similar quality like selina kyle figure from TDKR that will flake in a few years time?

The suit is similar to the BVS Batman than the Selina TDKR

Man, I really don't understand how you can think that Chadwick Boseman (an excellent actor and as tragic as his death was) is bigger than the Black Panther, he will always be dear and remembered as the first Black Panther, but Marvel has to recast the character because T'challa has to be the face of the Avengers now in a world of Black Life Matters.

The suit is similar to the BVS Batman than the Selina TDKR

Has there been any reports of flakings etc so far for BVS Batman suit?

Back