1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS470 - Black Panther - New Black Panther Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was buying BP 2.0 solely for the stellar headsculpt based on the prototype cause I think the CW suit and mask both look better...but now that the final product is a major step down in likeness I may have to take a pass on this one now...

But once again, I need to see YouTube reviews before making the final decision.

Tough call. I actually prefer this suit, but the portrait was the selling point for me because it popped against the suit. Either I wait for YouTube or bite the bullet and view it in-hand before deciding.

I hope this pic from jc hongs page is allowed. Not sure
Looks a bit better here though no?
2fe2f8402c9e4b0c46cb9921302e58dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still not seeing much of Chadwick Boseman in that sculpt...and the hair quite frankly, looks rubbish.

I'll wait for a few more pics but I'm almost certainly pulling this.

Okay...so did a quick comparison shot with the prototype and final product.

I still dunno what's quite off, but something was lost between the prototype and the final product. I still feel like the prototype is superior. The hair for sure lost detail/texture in the final product. I'm not sure if it's the lighting but there's something up with his eyes...not sure if they're spaced too close or not far enough, but something is off.

Anyways, I know the angles aren't exactly the same, but they're close enough. Take a look, form your opinion, and discuss!

test.jpg
test2.jpg

The production sculpt appears to be softer and less detailed (more so than usual), with some widening and distortion to boot. But given the wild variability possible with lighting and lenses, we won't know what it actually looks like from blogger pics alone.

Tough call. I actually prefer this suit, but the portrait was the selling point for me because it popped against the suit. Either I wait for YouTube or bite the bullet and view it in-hand before deciding.

What does bite the bullet and view it in hand before deciding means? Does that mean you will "buy" the figure then decide if you like it then if you don't you will return it and demand your money back?

What does bite the bullet and view it in hand before deciding means? Does that mean you will "buy" the figure then decide if you like it then if you don't you will return it and demand your money back?

You can do that. Sideshows return policy says you can return it for any reason. You usually have to pay a restocking fee and you lose your NDR but if you don’t like it you can return it.

I still dunno what's quite off, but something was lost between the prototype and the final product. I still feel like the prototype is superior. The hair for sure lost detail/texture in the final product. I'm not sure if it's the lighting but there's something up with his eyes...not sure if they're spaced too close or not far enough, but something is off.

Anyways, I know the angles aren't exactly the same, but they're close enough. Take a look, form your opinion, and discuss!

View attachment 441435
View attachment 441436

Very obvious its the forehead up, the prodution his forehead is smaller.....

The production looks like it got shrunk .

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

View attachment 441435
View attachment 441436

Based on these images, the prototype head looks a little longer, the forehead is a bit smoother, and the nose is a little thinner at the top. Also it looks like there is less definition in the suit, but again, it could just be the lighting.

The eyes on the final are shaped differently than the proto. But the actual figure portion appears to be much better than the proto.

I'm actually not big on returns -- although if something were *significantly* different from the proto I suppose that's grounds for return. What I mean is I could hold on to my pre-order, and if I don't like it just sell it on. Probably at least lose money on shipping but whatever.

You can do that. Sideshows return policy says you can return it for any reason. You usually have to pay a restocking fee and you lose your NDR but if you don’t like it you can return it.

Which is fair, but if you take your chances re-selling a new release, you'll probably lose less.

I prefer to display my figures with their headsculpts but yeah it's too big a difference for me on that sculpt to get it. Now I'm wondering if the Killmonger sculpt will be downgraded too :(

I prefer to display my figures with their headsculpts but yeah it's too big a difference for me on that sculpt to get it. Now I'm wondering if the Killmonger sculpt will be downgraded too :(

Well the killmonger sculpt is already ass on the prototype so.....

Regardless of what lighting is used it is quite clear the hair took the biggest hit and lost a lot of detail. Someone described it as bubble wrap hair on facebook and that seems appropriate. What's worse is they then used glossy paint instead of a flat paint on the hair, further amplifying the mistake.

Which is fair, but if you take your chances re-selling a new release, you'll probably lose less.

I would definitely recommend that over a return. I was just pointing out the option.

Likeness is good enough but the paint app in the area where the hair starts, both top and bottom, is by far the most disappointing for me.

The production sculpt appears to be softer and less detailed (more so than usual), with some widening and distortion to boot. But given the wild variability possible with lighting and lenses, we won't know what it actually looks like from blogger pics alone.

Agree. On the other hand IMO think the production suit looks better, as the proto body/suit has such sharply cut pecs/angles it looks like he's wearing a plate under the suit. So IMO smoothing that out a bit is a plus e.g. more natural looking which thought was the point with this character and this suit.

Back