1/6 Hot Toys - MMS299 - Avengers: AoU - Iron Legion Drone Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided it was time to build my Iron Legion Work Shop, which will be part of the wine cellar level and go in the place that the Mandarin Dio currently resides.

The premise is that after Ultron, Tony moves the Avengers repair shop to his new Stark Mansion and the drones arew retired, but not destroyed in case he needed them again.

So far I have 4 drones and I'm aggressively looking for and Ultron Mark I

I want to renumber them and it doesn't look too difficult but I was wondering if anyone could answer these questions

Does anyone know what number drone became Ultron Mark 1?

Does anyone know what font that was used for the numbering?

The re-numbering process will not be to hard but it will be time consuming.

I used a worn out 220 grit foam sanding pad and basically removed all of the numbers with a light sanding process. I used tape in some situations such as when I removed the chest plate number. Once all of the numbers were removed I used the sanding pad to take the shine off the entire figure, except for the head.

I have a guy that can make custom adhesive paint stencils so all I will have to do is create the stencil sheet and use them to re-paint the numbers. The back hip number and the left shoulder number will be a little more work because the red will have to be repainted first.

Once it's all done I will apply some washes and additional damage to make them look as if they went into storage after the battle.

I already have some concept art for the work shop

This should be fun

I want to renumber them and it doesn't look too difficult but I was wondering if anyone could answer these questions

Does anyone know what number drone became Ultron Mark 1?

Does anyone know what font that was used for the numbering?

The re-numbering process will not be to hard but it will be time consuming.

I used a worn out 220 grit foam sanding pad and basically removed all of the numbers with a light sanding process. I used tape in some situations such as when I removed the chest plate number. Once all of the numbers were removed I used the sanding pad to take the shine off the entire figure, except for the head.

Also, just an FYI that they each had a unique color scheme.

01 = Silver/Grey
02 = Blue
03 = Red (becomes Ultron MK1)
04 = Black
05 = Gold

Diamond Select made 4 of the 5 in Minimates:
Iron Legion 01
fig2289flg.jpg

Iron Legion 02
fig2223flg.jpg

Iron Legion 03 (Ultron MK1)
fig2220flg.jpg

Iron Legion 04
fig2224flg.jpg

Cool idea.... drone #3 became Ultron Mark I

Thanks, and youbastards info confirms this.

How ironic that the one that became Ultron Mark I is the only one I don't have to re-number.

Also, just an FYI that they each had a unique color scheme.

01 = Silver/Grey
02 = Blue
03 = Red (becomes Ultron MK1)
04 = Black
05 = Gold

Thanks for the info. This will bit a bit of a problem but nothing that can't be worked out over time.

I was relieved the see that the Avengers Logos are still red because painting them would be a lot of work. I will probably start with making the chest plate, left shoulder number and the left but strip the correct colors and work on the rest over time.

You get a decent front and back of the other 4 legionnaires during the after party fight if you go frame by frame as well

You get a decent front and back of the other 4 legionnaires during the after party fight if you go frame by frame as well

I don't have that capability, can you get me some shots so I can verify the different color shades?

For instance, that blue looks very light in the above pic of the toy and I would like to confirm that before I spend hours repainting a figure.

Here's and album of all the caps that were somewhat clear (like 90 of them)-
https://imgur.com/a/sUZwu

Here's a summary:

Legionnaire 01 Sliver (Mjolnired in half)
(and don't forget the proto that was painted in 01's colors for reference)
rJzWSbA.png

h3XspqH.png

Legionnaire 02 Blue (fondue forked to death)
s4qmWDS.png

rafTYd2.png

UDJxzOn.png

Legionnaire 03 Red (became Ultron)
qTKk9e5.png

Legionnaire 04 Burgundy (honestly doesn't look black to me w/ indoor light) (got shielded in half)
xbJYoeI.png

b7E8LBZ.png

h1Atf9x.png

terkD43.png

See the dark red on the lower leg (far left)?
Sn245lG.png

Legionnaire 05 Gold (stole the scepter and left)
zGHMWei.png

0E1saMd.png

F4TgM2u.png

And the coloring on 01 and 05 are very similar depending on the lighting

Front to back- 03, 01, 02, 05 (04 off screen)
PZUGhcW.png

Last edited:
I have been working on the number stencils and have determined that most of the 19 different number positions vary in size, so far, none have been the same size so this is a bit more time consuming then I expected.

I should have a sample sheet in a couple days and I will work on re-numbering the chest plates to figure out the correct colors and if it will work.

I also have to do a lot of work to make the font I found look more like the font that was used.

I also think I'm going to go with 5 re-built or remanufactured drones instead of including a Ultron Mark I drone.

After all, our Stark Mansion dio is supposed to be years after the war, Tony has become sentimental and rebuilt his original house and remanufactured all of his old suits and just likes to tinker and reminisce with friends

I have removed the numbers from 3 of the drones and I took the shine off of the #3 drone.

I might start looking for a 5th drone so if anyone wants to get rid of one PM me.

I painted the 02 Blue drone this week. It took most of the week because I only worked on it for a couple minutes per day. I would mask off some areas on each part and then paint them and pull the tape off when I got home from work.

I’m still waiting on the number stencils so I hope they work out

The masking tape method works ok but I’ll give all of the figures some chip detail and a multiple washes to make them look old and beat up to help blend that in once they are all done.

Man you are sure dedicated to the cause... :duff

It's not just a collection to me, it's a hobby

Looks great so far!
So great man!! Your dio set up is still one of my favorites of all time. :hi5:

Thanks

I hit a major obstacle today. I received the test stencils and none of them are useable. These are cut with a bald and apparently they are too small to be cut correctly.

I either have a find a place that cut the material with a laser or go with customs water transfer decals.

Back