1/6 Hot Toys- MMS- Lone Ranger

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure where you are getting your Numbers from?
If you go to BoxOfficeMojo.Com which breaks down all the costs of movies, you can compare the two movies.
Sleepy Hollow cost 100 Million Dollars to make and Worldwide it grossed a little over 206 Million Dollars.
Lone Ranger cost 215 Million Dollars to make and Worldwide it grossed a little over 260 Million Dollars.
Sleepy Hollow also came out in 1999. If you adjust for inflation. It's not even close.
Lone Ranger is a huge flop. For a movie to make any profit, it has to double the cost of the production budget.
Lone Ranger didn't even come close. You can look at any sites that crunches box office numbers and they pretty much all have the Lone Ranger in the top five Biggest Flops of All time already.

15 years ago it was cheaper to go to the cinema than it is now. Lone Ranger only grossed more overall because tickets are more expensive.

Yeah, probably. Still, they're in the same ballpark.

Can't help getting my hopes up for another surprise release, though the Ranger was closer to completion than Ichabod and we never saw him - plus he doesn't have the Depp factor.

They only got this licenses because of Depp. Lone Ranger is just a $200 accessory for Tonto. And since Tonto wasn't a huge seller (and only half the people who bought Tonto would buy Ranger) theres less motivation for them to invest in another shelf warmer. And they only Got Sleepy Hollow because they know people want to add to their Depp collection. Which is unfortunate cause its unlikely they will bother to make Headless Horseman either.

Yes, the studio lost money on LR but it still grossed more than SH, which is the ultimate indicator of audience appeal.

Yes, Lone Ranger grossed 50 Million more than Sleepy Hollow but Lone Ranger ALSO cost 115 Million More to Make than Sleepy Hollow.
In the end Sleepy Hollow was a Hit for the Studio and Lone Ranger was not.

My point is that the addressable market for LR licensors is better than (or at least similar to) that of SH. Whether the studio overspent and made a loss shouldn't really factor in; licensors should focus on the sheer audience numbers.

I didn't factor in the current Sleepy Hollow TV series. That might be why Hot Toys thinks it's more of a sell now. Or maybe it's just coincidence and it's taken this long to get it to market with all the Marvel, DC and Star Wars distractions.

They only got this licenses because of Depp. Lone Ranger is just a $200 accessory for Tonto. And since Tonto wasn't a huge seller (and only half the people who bought Tonto would buy Ranger) theres less motivation for them to invest in another shelf warmer. And they only Got Sleepy Hollow because they know people want to add to their Depp collection. Which is unfortunate cause its unlikely they will bother to make Headless Horseman either.

That would be me :yess:

I have 12 Depp figures as of right now with 3 customs in the making to make that 15

Bit the bullet and started my own Ranger...
98a1a41f8965735d6e9d240c03cb3c3a.jpg
c282eec113f52d4216557c3fa81a1fa7.jpg
e24a32b5a01fbce26b60ffc2c53555c2.jpg
fb6241ad8f42412b9eed903decfde21f.jpg
8794b6ecd6035eec32d9f35c0f6e3ad3.jpg

Which head did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

It's the knock off Superman head in these pics, but then I switched to this, the ttm19 head. Still not sure which I prefer.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415543540750.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415543540750.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 449
So, before quitting the hobby, I decided my last two figures would be The Lone Ranger and Tonto; frustrated enough after realizing The Lone Ranger was not going to be after all produce, I cancelled Tonto and RIP my collection.

To my surprise this Christmas, I will get Tonto as a present, so I decided one more time to give it a shot and kitbash The Lone Ranger.

Looking at my kitbash cabinets + some pieces I bought, I was able to get, what I believe will do a decent Hot Toys or close to Lone Ranger.

This is what I have:

+HT TTM-19 body and head + leg extenders to add a little hight
+HT Wolverine brown pants
+HT Wolverine long coat
+HT Alfred vest
+HT Alfred white shirt
+Disney exclusive hat, mask, badge, scarf and guns (all repainted or improved some how)
+Stevo Double Western CARTRIDGE BLET WITH TWIN HOLSTERS
Still working on the boots, any sugestions?

I will add some pics by the end of next week.

Sounds good! My suggestions would be Chris Redfield head, Banner pants (if the color is closer) and Battlegear Toys frock coat & waistcoat. Also Tonto's gun might be closer to what was planned, and you could get Alex Murphy's pistol-twirling hands when released.

I do have a Chris Redfield head but I like more the one that comes with the TTM-19, on the clothes I tried to stick to Hot Toys as much as possible to match the quality to Tonto standards, however I have never own battlegear toys products before and I can't tell if they will be a good fit for the body or if they have good quality.

The pistols must have silver finish and white hand grips, that is why Tonto's will not do.

I am hoping to work on my second Ranger kitbash soon.
Just ordered this Ranger head off Shapeways:
625x465_2812969_7508666_1416201338.jpg

Actually the one pictured is in full color Sandstone which I understand is coarse and doesn't hold up well.
The one I ordered will be white plastic so I will need to get it painted.

Clayton Moore will always be my favorite Lone Ranger.

I do have a Chris Redfield head but I like more the one that comes with the TTM-19, on the clothes I tried to stick to Hot Toys as much as possible to match the quality to Tonto standards, however I have never own battlegear toys products before and I can't tell if they will be a good fit for the body or if they have good quality.

The pistols must have silver finish and white hand grips, that is why Tonto's will not do.

Here are a few of my sideshow and Hot Toy figures dressed in Battlegear clothing, hopefully this will help you decide.

Great job on the Lone Ranger custom

Back