1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rounded some of the slight widow's peak off, pulled the dome forward a tad, and lowered it a bit so the brow is just over his "eyes." I think the stock just looked a bit too raised and had an overly surprised look. Tusks need some straightening out still, among some other minor tweaks i'd like to get to next time.

VaderRGTrooper.jpg

VaderFett.jpg

IMG_E9972.jpg

I repainted mine to bring out the details the best this mask could get . It looks great when help up against the light. I lowered the helmet as well IMG_0463.jpg

Rounded some of the slight widow's peak off, pulled the dome forward a tad, and lowered it a bit so the brow is just over his "eyes." I think the stock just looked a bit too raised and had an overly surprised look. Tusks need some straightening out still, among some other minor tweaks i'd like to get to next time.

View attachment 427689

View attachment 427690

View attachment 427691

Nice work! That does seem to improve the look. I'm really tempted to try modding the helmet on mine as well, but I'm still not 100% convinced I'll want to keep the figure by the time the 1/4 comes out, and it'll obviously be a lot easier to sell if it's kept intact...

Nice work! That does seem to improve the look. I'm really tempted to try modding the helmet on mine as well, but I'm still not 100% convinced I'll want to keep the figure by the time the 1/4 comes out, and it'll obviously be a lot easier to sell if it's kept intact...

Thanks! I can deal with the over sized mouth especially since that’d be some modding I’d rather not do right now or probably attempt hehe. Yeah I like my Vaders... not too impressed with the ANH V2 (still boxed up). I’ll be holding on to this guys for awhile and can’t wait for that QS Vader!

I repainted mine to bring out the details the best this mask could get . It looks great when help up against the light. I lowered the helmet as well View attachment 427697

Nice!

For the residue, alcohol on a q-tip should work in light applications. Then wipe off with water immediately to prevent any possible damage or paint wear.

Thanks d.r.37. For s**ts and giggles i put on the old ssc dx vader helmet on the this new vader i think it looks pretty good. It might be the helmet that makes the head look out of scale.

Where do I go to figure out how to put in the batteries on the belt boxes?

The instructions indicate the boxes just lift off, but that's not right.

Does the front belt buckle come undone?

Where do I go to figure out how to put in the batteries on the belt boxes?

The instructions indicate the boxes just lift off, but that's not right.

Does the front belt buckle come undone?

It is a "C" shaped clip that holds to the belt. Hold the belt steady and lift up or down. It will come off without too much effort.

It is a "C" shaped clip that holds to the belt. Hold the belt steady and lift up or down. It will come off without too much effort.

Ah thanks, gets a bit dicey when you have to 'yank' things off a $260 toy.

Got it sorted ... after struggling for 15 minutes to put the wrong size batteries in there. Oh vey, these things can be a pain to set up.

Those terrible gloves aside...I think the ANH v1 is the best vader on the market....

attachment.php

The overall framework is solid (and looks better at a 3/4 angle like your pic) but it has all kinds of problems to me. The "teeth" are too narrow, the mesh behind them is inaccurate (and painted a bit too brightly,) and that plug nose is like a sore thumb and needs modding.

The other more glaring issue to me is it just doesn't match the overall "look" of Vader in ANH - from the chest armor being way off paint-wise to the way they painted the helmet just looking off compared to how it looks in ANH (I can see what they were going for, but it's a really odd paint app.)

The HT ESB helmet has a whole new list of issues, but to me it captures ESB Vader better than HT's ANH Vader captures ANH Vader.

"vertical blinds" pleats aside (which can be futzed out) I also think the ESB inner robe is a big step up on the ANH inner robe, and a bit of step up on the RO version. The RO cape is still best overall, but the ESB one really needs the double layered silk inner to look right for ESB.

Those terrible gloves aside...I think the ANH v1 is the best vader on the market....

attachment.php
Absolutely. Other than the gloves; I think the RO/V2 belt, belt boxes & chest box are better. Combine that with a de-pleated Empire tunic and the boots..it's a magnificent sight! I was really wanting to get the ESB belt cause of the all silver buckle, but costs too much due to the included boxes. I'm just not a fan of this new Vader. To me it looks the least like Vader. For example, the eye lenses make it look very alien/insect-like. So yeah, looks like they'll just be re-using this for the Jedi one. If that ends up being the case, it'll save me a lot of money. But man, if they would just shrink down the 1/4 version; it'd be one glorious figure.

This pic by davejames though is one example of the figure looking really damn good. Perhaps overall, this version is just a bit less photogenic than the others.
View attachment 427022

I've been sitting with this Vader for a while now. Watched a few ESB scenes again.

IMO it's still a very strong figure.

I'd rank HT Rogue One Vader second after this one, with the ANH trailing at 3rd...but all bets are off for a heavily modded ANH.

They all have pros and cons, but even when I *try* to nitpick this one, I get it posed up and -- yup, that's Darth Vader.

ESB is my favourite costume and characterization, followed by ANH. I recently watched some ROTJ scenes and film-wise that remains my least favourite iteration both in terms of costuming/cinematography, and his characterization.

The whole ROTJ Vader (on film) seems just..soft.

ESB Vader defo looks better in hand then on photos.. cant for the life of me get a pic of his helmet without it distorting. Mask too, but not as much. Still my favorite 1:6 Vader of the lot, RO a good 2nd. Call me crazy but the ANH Vaders arent beat up enough for me to get that ep IV vibe nailed. He looked like he came straight out of a couple explosions in the movie, mean & gritty.

is that that display from 12 inch figures on ebay. did that stand come with it looks great

No I got HD pics of the background of the cloud city shaft and put them on fish tank background material and the stand Vader is on is the one he came with. And that is a fish tank they are inside. And I put the cloud city pics inside so you don’t get the glass glare. Still need to make them for the sides so the vane is behind luke and the bridge and the rest is behind Vader.

Starting to mock up my display for ESB Vader. These are custom snowies partly using HT recasts, I have another 2 regular HT snowies.

The cape has a bit of thickness on the shoulders due to the layers - I may try to get everything to bed down more to lower the shoulders just a touch, may be able to get him to look down a bit more too. Most 1/6 Vaders seem to want to look up a bit, though Vader does do a lot of that in ESB.

44161070824_f9b2952a60_o.png

This is the tweaked nose and retouched mouth.

44165109724_b81493c367_o.png

Is this a paint defect or is that little smudge at the bottom of the the helmet meant to be there? I hope it's the latter..

Back