1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3: MMS197D02 Mark XLII Diecast Series Official Spec/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree prices are high but comparing the Witch King figure to say a Iron Man is a bit of a stretch. Having a metal helmet isn't as costly as you think. And the tailoring on the black drapes is far from difficult. Also no actor likeness rights to be had. I think the Asmus figure is aces but has nothing in terms of difficulty to produce.

The Big Chief people were on the boards responding to people here complain about the high cost of their Dr Who figures, and they themselves did not know how to lower their costs. Their figures are around $250 for a fairly basic package, and their quality is debatably a hair below Sideshow's. They flat out said that they had no idea how Hot Toys managed to have such high quality figures at their cost. They touched on the misnomer that a larger manufacturing quantity would mean less cost per unit, saying that the cost savings would be extremely minimal since much (or most?) of the cost comes form assembling.

So it's interesting that this other company is able to produce a figure that looks pretty good for such a "reasonable" price.

I would kill to go on a design/production walk and talk with HT. From development through distribution to see how its all done.

Maybe it could be picked for How Its Made tv show.

I am not too familiar with Big Cheif's toyline, but just speaking pure economies of scale, HT is probably some multiplier of 5x-10x more in industrials spend (resin,paints) and I believe they own their manufacturing. When you start talking end to end margin with Self-Manufacturing capabilities, comparing margins with companies that 3P their goods (which Big Cheif is doing from my readings on the Doctor Who figure delays) can be difficult.

HT could be saving big points on margin also from variable costs of employees making their clothing and painting. Lord knows they are not paying alot.
Every company gets hit with price increases from sourcing and trans, but the rate these figures are going up HT is still pulling in some major bank.
I would LOVE to know their licensing costs. Thats the coca-cola secret right there.

I would kill to go on a design/production walk and talk with HT. From development through distribution to see how its all done.

Maybe it could be picked for How Its Made tv show.

Fun fact. How it's made is a canadian TV show, and all shows showcased are canadian companies.

back on topic.

With modern films, getting an actors liscense is not an issue, as 90% of the time, the actors likeness rights are tied into the film merchansdising rights. So that ceases to be an issue.

The ONLY person that Hot toys pays lisceing rights to for making Iron man figures is Marvel/disney.
RDJ MIGHT get to sign off on his approval of his face, but that's it.

Older films from approx 1989 or before, this is an issue. And from a few early 90's films. But after the merchandising GIANT that is Star wars, most companies making films require actors and actresses to sign over their likeness in the film so that products may look like them. THEY DO get residual royalties based on those sales, but it's an overall percentage of total gross.

As for hot toys secret in keeping their costs down, I'm 90% certian it's Volume. Their factory workers are not paid per head they paint, or shirt they put on, they're paid by the hour. and an additional 3-4 hours to put together an additional 7-10 THOUSAND figures dosn;t cost them THAT much.
In China, assembly line factory workers are paid around $100 a month, and much of this pay is deducted from the factory provided food and shared dormitories. They are often subject to work 16-hour days on fast moving assembly lines, much of the time paid less than minimum wage (which would be around $100 a month or 55 cents an hour). Granted, that information is Circa 2007-2008, but I doubt conditions have changed THAT much in the past 5 years.

it's worth noting that the Big chief studios Dr who only was 1000-2000 pieces depending on the Doctor, with only 250 pieces for the signature edition.

Last edited:
I'm sure Howard Chan is just chomping at the bit to give a television show a walkthrough tour of the manufacturing facility with it's toxic fumes, poor ventilation and young children and women putting in 16 hours 6 days a week for pennies per hour.

The other intresting angle for Licensing is exclusivity. Hot toys in negotiating could obviously pay more to lock up the rights on scale and franchise licenses as we have seen with the Batman license issues with Enterbay and 1/6 scale block on Play Imaginative iron man figures. They also spend money to hoard licenses (Green Lantern for example).

The money they pay for licensing I would bet dollars to doughnuts is their #1 or #2 product cost.

The other intresting angle for Licensing is exclusivity. Hot toys in negotiating could obviously pay more to lock up the rights on scale and franchise licenses as we have seen with the Batman license issues with Enterbay and 1/6 scale block on Play Imaginative iron man figures. They also spend money to hoard licenses (Green Lantern for example).

The money they pay for licensing I would bet dollars to doughnuts is their #1 or #2 product cost.

I agree, I bet it aint cheap.

Eh, GENERALY those liscensing costs come out to a percentage of the final sale.

YES, there is a liscensing fee that is paid when the liscense is FIRST accuired.

But generaly they just give the liscensor a percentage of the sale.

Last edited:
Eh, GENERALY those liscensing costs come out to a percentage of the final sale.

YES, there is a liscensing fee that is paid when the liscense is FIRST accuired.

But generaly they just give the liscensor a percentage of the sale.

However its done, you can bet its pretty costly. Anything you buy from Disney aint cheap.

I thought about something else...

Someone said the display piece in hong knog was floppy joint city.

That's kinda a thing with diecast joints. tehy slowly wear as you move them, and there really is not an effective way to prevent, nor fix this.

I thought about something else...

Someone said the display piece in hong knog was floppy joint city.

That's kinda a thing with diecast joints. tehy slowly wear as you move them, and there really is not an effective way to prevent, nor fix this.

It's not going to be 100% Diecast. There will be plastic or rubber joints for durability.
That floppy one was a display prototype.

joints will be plastic and ratchet type. it was said in a translated interview.

i would cite the posting but i don't remember when or where it was posted =[

Back