1/6 Hot Toy - MMS612 - Episode VI - ROTJ: Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the hinged visor made them too much human for Lucas? I mean, they are supposed to just be imperial cannon fodder. Seeing their face makes the crashing speeder bikes and smashed scouts more tragic…
Well he had no problem using DSTs and even Imperial officers on Endor as cannon fodder, with faces visible. :dunno :lol
Was their ever a deleted scene with the Rebel dude (nik?) with the helmet on but his face shown? I am probably just making this up in my head. I know in the final movie you can see someone putting it on, but can't really see anything.
There is a BTS image of Nik Sant about to put the helmet on (ie he's not wearing it) and yes the visor is open/up on the helmet that's in his hands, but onscreen you only ever see him in the black hood (helmet missing) after he's captured or him placing the helmet over his head seen from the back view when Han and the commandoes enter the bunker - Sant is briefly visible in the background. You can't tell if the visor is up but it doesn't appear to be.

M63CJ6L.png

I always thought it was funny that, given Nik Sant is even wearing the black bodysuit and not even just the armor, there's an Imperial guy in his undies tied up somewhere in the forest during the entire Endor forest battle.:horror:lol

And the main problem with flip-up visors is that it made snacking on the job much easier (causing armor not to fit and the man-diaper to fill faster,) so the Empire eventually did away with them...

GYC2gBH.png

Last edited:
It's not widely known, Melissa McCarthy's Biker Scout cameo is one of several SW background cameos.

yBDPPB7.png

Last edited:
One thing I've always liked about the scouts is that except for the blinders on the helmet, they seem to be wearing functional military kit you could move and fight in. The stormtroopers will always be iconic but even the modified Rogue One armour is quite a stretch for mobility and combat.

I think this is true ,ZE!

And you somehow reminded me of the old Star Wars role playing game and an expansion adventure... I remembered this variant of the Scout Trooper:

Battle_for_the_Golden_Sun.jpg

I sent a mail to Hot Toys regarding the inaccuracies with the large helmet gap. This was the answer I received:C52DC65E-3F83-4A79-B79E-91844A0DF9B9.jpeg
I guess it's a standard reply but I hope the design team take notice.

I sent a mail to Hot Toys regarding the inaccuracies with the large helmet gap. This was the answer I received:View attachment 536730
The helmet has a number of inaccuracies vs the costume helmet - that gap to me being the least of them (it kinda looks that way in the Wicket scene anyway, which was the costume version they based this scout on) but overall it looks very good. Way better than the Sideshow sculpt.

If you want to get super picky, there's all kinds of things to pick apart (visor isn't thick/solid like HT has it, its meant to be thin and concave/hollow)....

51417979509_4c70f21a3a_o.png

But... other than making the faceplate a tad too narrow either side of the goggles, it's really not that noticeable. :dunno

The helmet has a number of inaccuracies vs the costume helmet - that gap to me being the least of them (it kinda looks that way in the Wicket scene anyway, which was the costume version they based this scout on) but overall it looks very good. Way better than the Sideshow sculpt.

If you want to get super picky, there's all kinds of things to pick apart (visor isn't thick/solid like HT has it, its meant to be thin and concave/hollow)....

But... other than making the faceplate a tad too narrow either side of the goggles, it's really not that noticeable. :dunno

The thing that jumps out at me most is that the top corners of the black visor aren't rounded enough on the HT, too close to a sharp 90° angle.

I sent a mail to Hot Toys regarding the inaccuracies with the large helmet gap. This was the answer I received:View attachment 536730
Yes, that's standard. I've sent a few mails regarding Ahsoka and Bo and got the same response. Whether they care or not is uncertain at the moment.

That should go for Vader as well then, but making a Vader or Scout helmet with that reverse edge in 1/6 would be too fragile and not necessary at this small scale. Sideshow didn't even make it for their 1/1 Vader bust

Vader ANH 09.jpg

Vader ANH helmet 04.jpg

That should go for Vader as well then, but making a Vader or Scout helmet with that reverse edge in 1/6 would be too fragile and not necessary at this small scale. Sideshow didn't even make it for their 1/1 Vader bust

View attachment 536743

View attachment 536744
Oh, I totally agree, though I would say that the difference is that the sides of the Biker Scout faceplate visibly interact with that "outer shell" part of the helmet (dome in case of Vader, visor on Biker) more than they do on the Vader helmet's facemask. So it impacts the sculpt of the facemask on the Biker (ie narrowing the distance from outer edge of goggles to where it touches the visor) but nowhere near as much, if at all, on the Vader.

I'd also argue that on the Biker it's both more visible (protruding well beyond the faceplate, and is flat vs Vader's slightly curving inward) and also more a conscious part of the actual design than on Vader, or indeed on the other OT ABS vacuform helmets where effort was made to hide it. With Vader, it's significant that when they did the Dagobah Luke face (both - the Hamill cast version and the one that's in the movie) Vader helmet, where you actually see more into it with some curve removed, they removed that dome flange.

And from a 1/6 practicality point of view, creating that edge is not all that different to what HT did with the edge of their Snowtrooper helmet (yes, though the Snowie costume helmet has a tiny flange up to the goggles,) or what Sideshow did on their Luke X-Wing mohawk's leading edge and the edges of the Lando Skiff helmet. Those thicknesses are a bit more than the ABS sheet thickness, but they still read as a very thin edge, so proves HT could have done the hollow/flange on the scout, even if a little thicker than ABS sheet thickness in true 1/6 scale.

Last edited:
Got free shipping and about $20 off with my code for the single Scout and the Scout and Speederbike from my distributor. Not a bad deal considering al the taxes the EU customers are paying for everything bought outside EU.

Can't find the old Sideshow 1:6 Scout Trooper thread, but wanted to share a find on the differences between V1 and V2 release of the figure:
1631121404383.png

As seen, the latter has a much whiter hue than the older figure. Boots on V2 are not as dirty and green as V1. If any of you are interested in picking up the SS release, be aware of these differences. IMO V2 looks much better, the color difference between the "diaper" and chest armor on V2 is more subtle than the V1. EOM.

Can't find the old Sideshow 1:6 Scout Trooper thread, but wanted to share a find on the differences between V1 and V2 release of the figure:
View attachment 537667
As seen, the latter has a much whiter hue than the older figure. Boots on V2 are not as dirty and green as V1. If any of you are interested in picking up the SS release, be aware of these differences. IMO V2 looks much better, the color difference between the "diaper" and chest armor on V2 is more subtle than the V1. EOM.
Thanks for the heads-up, Chainedstream. :rock

I wasn't aware of those changes.

Back