Furiosa (May 24, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow I completely passed by the original films as a kid in 80s, I suppose because I was more into the scifi with aliens and spaceships than the post-apocalyptic stuff. I tried watching them later but could never get into it.

But Fury Road was just a whole different kind of experience. It was insane and thrilling and badass and everything I would have wanted a Mad Max movie to be like. I can understand why it may not work as well for the old school fans, but for me it works on every level and is easily in my Top 5 of the last 10 years.

For me, Road Warrior is still tops, but Fury Road is in 2nd place.

I'm really curious if Furiosa will take the bronze from Thunderdome.

Like Matrix Reloaded in its 2nd half, Thunderdome was half a good movie in its first half.

Thunderdome has . . . . . Ewoks. Basically. I still enjoy it. It really does reflect ROTJ with is humor and kids. Tina Turner is awesome in it and gave us a good theme song.

I saw The Road Warrior in late summer 1982 in the theaters. I was memorized with it. Didn't see Thunderdome when it came out as I didn't know it was a sequel. And I didn't know Mad Max was the one that started it all until catching it on cable in the mid 80's and seeing the pursuit special in it and putting the two together.

My tickets are reserved for Furiosa. Anya Taylor-Joy is hawt and Thor shines in these type roles.

Miller just said that Mel was never considered for a continuation of an older grizzled Logan style character in his 60’s because Miller is not interested at all in a 60 year old Mad Max.

I’m sorry but i’m very disappointed in Miller’s response it seems forced and fake especially since we all know Hollyweird railroaded Mel Gibson.

Miller is just providing the predictable safe woke answer.

Booo.

Fury Road would have had been so much more impactful if Gibson had returned. End of story.

As a side note, I still think some of the performances in that movie are horribly acted (including Charlize's "redemption" line. Just cringey).

This is where I’m not going to agree with Grumpy-Gar lol

Because if done right and yes it can be done right, if George Miller really wanted to do it correctly without Hollywood “messaging” we could’ve gotten an Old Man Logan style Mel Gibson Max in his beastly 60s NOT being humiliated every second by Furiosa Waller-Bridge.

The wasteland is a perfect setting for a beastly Mel Gibson Max just loosing control and cutting loose going from one suicide mission to another.

I think Mel returning would have made the movie much more about him and his story. Which is fine for the original fans. But for this story I think it worked much better having Max be more of a complete unknown to both Furiosa and the audience, who truly seems to be out only for himself but then decides to help her and the brides in the end.

Plus I wouldn't trade Hardy's grumbling, unhinged Max for anything. 😁

Not much of a Max fan but really enjoyed Fury Road. This movie looks like it’s shaping up to be a pretty fun ride.

I’ve never seen the originals so hopefully i’m not lost once i’m in the theater.

Word is
Spoiler Spoiler:

Also the movie might resemble Fury Road aesthetically but it is closer to Mad Max 1 and Road Warrior in spirit but not linear at all.

Also the most violent.

Last edited:
Fury Road would have had been so much more impactful if Gibson had returned. End of story.

As a side note, I still think some of the performances in that movie are horribly acted (including Charlize's "redemption" line. Just cringey).
To me Gibson wouldn't have fit in FR. I did really enjoy FR but it's really a whole other story universe to the Gibson MM films. FR almost feels like its set on another planet.

83849c1fb70795309571dc3b05b2fe97.jpg

To me Gibson wouldn't have fit in FR. I did really enjoy FR but it's really a whole other story universe to the Gibson MM films. FR almost feels like its set on another planet.
Agreed. It certainly did feel completely alien compared to the original trilogy, which I prefer. I think so much of that otherworldly look and feel came as a result of color timing and post production trickery.

Still, Gibson's weathered face would have been a sight to behold. He could have done it. That whole Tom Hardy's Max is actually the grown up Feral Kid idea is kind of more appealing too.

Last edited:
Word is
Spoiler Spoiler:

Also the movie might resemble Fury Road aesthetically but it is closer to Mad Max 1 and Road Warrior but not linear at all.

Also the most violent.
It's Hardy's long-time stuntman, Jacob Tomuri apparently.

Agreed. It certainly did feel completely alien compared to the original trilogy, which I prefer. I think so much of that otherworldly look and feel came as a result of color timing and post production trickery.

Still, Gibson's weathered face would have been a sight to behold. He could have done it. That whole Tom Hardy's Max is actually the grown up Feral Kid idea is kind of more appealing too.
In FR Max does grab a steel boomerang :yess:

Yeah, I know everyone says it’s not the Feral Kid because he calls himself Max at the end and the little ghost girl calls him Pa but if you just squint a tiny bit with the narrative the whole theory pans out I mean he even grunts alot lol.

For me it’s not Fury Road it’s Feral Road lol

“He lives now…..only in my memories.”

Last edited:
Back