1/6 Hot Toy - MMS612 - Episode VI - ROTJ: Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the comparison photos, it seems that the longer breastplate on the Mando version would confer more protection than the ROTJ's tiny bikini top. :LOL:

The ROTJ version does look sharper, though ...

One thing I've always liked about the scouts is that except for the blinders on the helmet, they seem to be wearing functional military kit you could move and fight in. The stormtroopers will always be iconic but even the modified Rogue One armour is quite a stretch for mobility and combat.

What happened to the Secret Base photos posted earlier? :unsure:

Just watched Justin's video. He mentions the helmet gap as being carried over from the Scout in The Mandalorian whose head was too big.

However, down in the comments section of the video there was a link to this one:

At 18 seconds you can clearly see the same gap:

View attachment 536248

While thats true, the movie depicts the helmet in various states including fully closed as intended.

MuAOj3N.jpg

dt1UAzD.png

QdZpOsQ.png

I feel HT is really skirting the line on screen accuracy here. Just for the sake of reusing the mold.

Compared to Mando Scout:

1keX2EV.png

And technically what HT did, is they sculpted the gap and then extended the inner lining of the helmet to close the gap. Which isn't accurate to Mando anyway

While thats true, the movie depicts the helmet in various states including fully closed as intended.

I feel HT is really skirting the line on screen accuracy here. Just for the sake of reusing the mold.

Re-using the main part of the helmet?

The front section is a new mould since the top of the visor is curved on their ROTJ, and straight on the Mando:

51286020845_38ed0e0405_o.jpg

Preordered the single trooper - at this point, I'm keeping mainly just classic armored characters. Do wish I had room for the bike, but just too big. And I wish the helmet was designed to look fully closed. Kinda annoying but not a deal breaker. Since HT knew they were gonna reuse the helmet for the ROTJ, it would have been nice had they done a less scene specific sculpt.

Hope they do the At-At Driver, Tie Pilot, Veers, etc.

I know some here say the Sideshow At-at Driver sculpt is off, but aside from the eyes being symmetrical on the 1:6, it looks pretty good to me. And they got the grey pretty close. He is grey not white.

Preordered the single trooper - at this point, I'm keeping mainly just classic armored characters. Do wish I had room for the bike, but just too big. And I wish the helmet was designed to look fully closed. Kinda annoying but not a deal breaker. Since HT knew they were gonna reuse the helmet for the ROTJ, it would have been nice had they done a less scene specific sculpt.

Hope they do the At-At Driver, Tie Pilot, Veers, etc.

I know some here say the Sideshow At-at Driver sculpt is off, but aside from the eyes being symmetrical on the 1:6, it looks pretty good to me. And they got the grey pretty close. He is grey not white.
If they show up in one of these D+ shows, they have a shot.

HT should make the helmet flip-able like the real thing. Then we can have both gap and no gap. Prefer that. Don’t need a head sculpt.

The Sideshow was hinged, and could be made to open:

Didn't know if anyone else has tried this so I thought I'd share the info. The Sideshow helmet is able to flip up just like the Tomy one. For mine all I did was apply pressure along the seams on either side until I heard two "pops" then the front visor could swing open. It is held in place with two little snaps down and the bottom of the helmet on either side and a little bit of glue. It's already hinged and ready to go. I'll be using this third scout that I got yesterday for my Nik Sant custom. Just have to dremmel out the head post and it'll be good to go. This way I won't have to mutilate the head sculpt as bad getting it to fit in the smaller Tomy helmet.

Hinged, yes - able to hinged open... not without a ****load of work. :lol

They glued that sucker closed tight (they clearly abandoned the feature,) though a few lucky people got a little less glue and were able to more easily crack it open.

I got mine open (very difficult to do cleanly) and got a bit more $$ for it when I later sold the figure.

It's a strange feature really... never seen functioning onscreen in ROTJ, though it is seen in a cool concept sketch. And kind of unique for an OT trooper, the only trooper that could have face exposed like a DST/ATST but also covered like a standard armored imperial.

I guess they just decided it was best to keep them faceless - I assume it would have been used in "downtime" moments where Han watches them cooking or whatever they're doing, and when they stand in a group chatting.

Maybe the hinged visor made them too much human for Lucas? I mean, they are supposed to just be imperial cannon fodder. Seeing their face makes the crashing speeder bikes and smashed scouts more tragic…

Maybe the hinged visor made them too much human for Lucas? I mean, they are supposed to just be imperial cannon fodder. Seeing their face makes the crashing speeder bikes and smashed scouts more tragic…
The one scout being hurled upside down and crunching into a tree trunk ... :LOL:

Was their ever a deleted scene with the Rebel dude (nik?) with the helmet on but his face shown? I am probably just making this up in my head. I know in the final movie you can see someone putting it on, but can't really see anything.

As for Nik / Rex, he might've been, then he wasn't...

In 2016, at a screening of the second season finale of Star Wars Rebels, executive producer Dave Filoni speculated that the "bearded old guy on Endor," Nik Sant, could be Rex, suggesting it did not make any sense for there to be an "old guy" on Endor unless it was someone like Rex.[7] The Rebels series finale, which aired on March 5, 2018, confirmed that Rex did fight at the Battle of Endor, but did not go so far as to confirm that Rex and Sant are the same character.[8] Six months after the episode's airing, Filoni revealed in an interview with IGN he ultimately chose to not canonize the theory because he felt that laying down an already established character prior to his coming to Star Wars wasn't correct, adding that Rex could have been present at Endor and not be Sant, even though some fans could choose to believe that Sant and Rex are the same individual while others choose to not do so.[9]

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nik_Sant

Back