1/6 custom Guyver II "Dark Hero"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zedex9r

Super Freak
Reaction score
G'day all

I have finally managed to get the one figure that I never thought would be possible. This is the movie version Guyver from the 1994 movie - Guyver 2: Dark Hero.

I remember when this movie was released on VHS (that's those cassette tape things for you young ones). I used to rent it at least once a week, and each time have to pay a late fee. Finally the nice lady who ran the video store gave me her own personal preview copy. You have to remember that back then you couldn't buy many movies in the shops like you can now.

This video got played so many times, I am surprised that the tape never broke due to all the rewinding. Fast forward a few years and I managed to get this movie on DVD, and still watch it constantly. I was always impressed with the young actor in the lead roll and thought that he would go far. While he hasn't gone on to be a famous Hollywood movie star, he did go on to make his name known as an excellant screen writer, and the famous voice of Solid Snake from Playstation's Metal Gear Solid series. That's right, it was David Hayter! I knew he would go far.

It is a great movie. I know that it is based on an anime, but I prefered the live action version of Guyver over the anime version. To me the character looked more realistic and also looked damn cool!

So when an opportunity came around to pick up a 1/6 scale version of the actual movie figure, I jumped for joy. This figure upon arrival was unbelievable and captures the Guyver perfectly. The only minor dissapointement was that the artist painted the undersuit and muscles a wrong shade, he went for a light brown instead of black. So after some fine work painting, I corrected this.

I could go on forever, but instead I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Enjoy.

Movie promo shot:
guyverhayter2.jpg

1/6 Figure:
guyver3.jpg

guyver14.jpg

guyver12.jpg

guyver6.jpg

guyver25.jpg

guyver27.jpg

guyver32.jpg

guyver29.jpg

Cheers

"There something inside of me. GUYVER!!!! "

Love it, i been trying to get a 1/6 model kit and have a go at my own guyver.
Never seen the movies but im a big fan of the original anime. Was the first anime i saw before akira and at the age of 11 id never seen blood.

This is a dream figure for me which i never really thought this possible due toall the armor.

not only who made it, But HOW?
A friend of mine has been after me to make him a GUYVER 3Figure for a while, ( I think it's Guyver 3, whichever one is the Broken Guyver) And I'm stumped, can't find the parts i need to do it. It LOOKS like this is made from the 1/6 Vinyl kitsI see on the bay from time to time, is that accurate?

That figure kicks all the ass!

guyver14.jpg

I always loved that cheezy movie, and after having met Steve Wang, AND touched that very helmet in person at Bob Burn's house (I've got a shot of it somewhere around here...), I am so stoked to see this as a posable figure! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!

Great job. Color me REAL jealous!!!

Thanks everyone for the great comments.

I wish I could take full credit for making this figure, but I can't. While I did repaint key parts of him, and relocate the arm blades to the proper location the main work was done another artist. I purchased this figure from a great eBay seller who I have purchased from before with no issues.

lerath666: He was indeed created by using the 1/6 Movie Guyver Vinyl kit. I did have the idea of doing it myself, but when I saw that it had already been done using a Hot Toys true type body, I jumped at the opportunity. I feel that I could have done a good job at attempting the same project, but not to same level as this. The paint job on the main armour is stunning. The fine detail work and paint application is beautiful to behold. Photos do not do this guy justice.

Les: Thanks. One of my favourite movies, sometimes the cheesy ones are the best. This is my stress relief movie. It's an easy storyline, has great action and fight scenes and features one of the best damn looking Hero around. I am in awe of the fact that you have met Steve Wang and Bob Burns and seen the Guyver Movie head in person. I would love to see that photo :D

Again, thanks for the kind comments. This figure was one I never thought I would ever see, let alone own. He is defiently the pride of my collection.

And because I can't help myself :lol
guyver23.jpg

Cheers

waitaminite. that's a truetype under there!? that kit is huge!!!

While it is a True Type body used, I wouldn't say that the kit is huge.
He is defiently on the slightly larger side, but it fits the character well.

I have taken some shots of the Guyver next to a naked True Type, as well as some shots of Guyver with his other Sci-Fi friends for comparison:

size7.jpg

size10.jpg

size6.jpg

size4.jpg

size3.jpg

size1.jpg

size11.jpg

I hope this helps.
Cheers

Let me explane, by huge, here is what I meant. generaly speaking the vinyl kits are not true 1/6 scale. a little smaller, like medi-scale. a treu type is a bit bigger than a kai. this pleases me :) how is the head attached to the body, and what is the undersuit?

Let me explane, by huge, here is what I meant. generaly speaking the vinyl kits are not true 1/6 scale. a little smaller, like medi-scale. a treu type is a bit bigger than a kai. this pleases me :) how is the head attached to the body, and what is the undersuit?

Ahh, thats what you meant by huge... anyway it gave me an excuse to put more pics up :lol

Yeah this particular vinyl kit seems to be very close to true 1/6 scale. The Head is the correct scale and the hands and feet seem to be proportional. Even the suit fits very well.

It appears as if the head has been filled and is using the ball type adapter that comes with the true type body as it has all the movement, up down and swivel.

As for the undersuit I am not sure. It seems to be one piece even including the feet and goes way up the neck. It appears to be a lycra/cloth.

Hope this helps :)

size11.jpg

Now THERE's a cool movie we'll never see! :monkey2

Here are my two shots for you, first is me meeting Steve Wang in 1995.

MenSteve1.jpg

And here is the shelf at Bob's with the Guyver helmet. I thought I got a shot more directly looking at it, so I will keep looking, but it was an amazing work to behold in person, let me tell ya!

Guyver1.jpg

I love that this figure is a True type! Wicked! I will have to try and make one myself one day. But this one is totally cool! :rock

Wow!

Thanks for sharing these photos Les.

It must have been great to meet Wang and Burns and see the characters come to life.

That Guyver mask looks awesome and I see a couple of Zoanoids there too :rock2

If you have any other shots I would love to see them. Seeing these pics makes me appreciate the level of detail in the figure even more. This has by far become my favourite 1/6 figure.

Cheers

That's an amazing figure & this thread is a fine example of what the hobby is really all about & that is: finding that one figure that reminds you of when you you were young. It's not about collecting every single figure in a series or keeping everything minty fresh, it's about having something that is nostalgic & rewarding.

so, bravo.

Nice fig; Will be looking at model kits for some custom work. Never crossed my mind that they would work.

Really like the use of blue on the armor. Not overly shiny, and the subtle details in the paint work is great.

Well done.

I have a vhs copy of the Japanese laser disc (remember those) with cast and crew interviews. Steve Wang interview is really interesting. It has since been burned to DVDR.

One of the coolest things I've ever seen. I love the Guyver anime (remake and original) and the cheesy movies. I wish the manga would be translated so I can continue the story!

Back