1/4 Hot Toys - QS005 - Avengers: AoU - Iron Man Mark 43 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reached out to Soap Studios on Facebook. Hopefully this helps everyone out....I knew the $388 price had to be a mistake

View attachment 270246

Thanks. I emailed them to see how to order along with the extra cables. Have no idea how I am going to hide the cables as there is a mirror behing the MK43. Maybe wrapping the wires together with red electrical tape would mask it.

Center piece for my desk
13443151_10154300135964612_7474557006699867392_o.jpg

I plan on displaying mine in the open as well, so that's handy to know. Most of my collection is in the open and I get so lazy with dusting.

Sun and dust.. don't we hate it. Mine is all open, but it is in my 'office' spare bedroom which is a far less dusty room than the open plan living/dining/lounge area. My mrs won't go for leaving the room in total darkness during the day, but I do have a sunblind which filters the sun. The worst sun at the moment (it's winter here) is the low sun coming in about mid morning.

Sun fading sucks. My blu-rays and games cases are all showing uv fade and they don't even sit on a wall that is high sun exposure... But I do want to be one of these people who enjoys their hobby. In the absence of an underground basement (not a big thing in NZ), I'm not going to grow old with my display hobbies in boxes in storage..

I do worry about the sun. You think UV will ruin something like the Mk43?

Honestly if my plastic collection starts degrading noticeably, I'll just start collecting giant die-cast things like the Ultimetal Transformers series. Quarter scale has already convinced me that one $500 figure beats two or three regular HTs, so the jump from there to ~1k per figure isn't that huge :wink1:

Got the soap reactor today. About 1 week from order to receipt in Houston. Works perfectly. Have only installed helmet so far. Will do rest later this weekend. I little red and black electrical tape will help route wires out of sight and out back corner of legend studio case. Looking forward to never having to play with those tiny switches again.

I do worry about the sun. You think UV will ruin something like the Mk43?

Honestly if my plastic collection starts degrading noticeably, I'll just start collecting giant die-cast things like the Ultimetal Transformers series. Quarter scale has already convinced me that one $500 figure beats two or three regular HTs, so the jump from there to ~1k per figure isn't that huge :wink1:

Hey, I work in museum exhibit design, so a huge part of my job is conservation. Sun will damage anything. Anything. Plastic, diecast, rock... even iron over time. And not just sunlight, any light. Even a low powered LED is doing incremental harm to your stuff. But sunlight is a big no-no if you plan on owning your figures for more than five years. Glass does quite a bit to protect objects, double glass is even better, but you will still see some discolouration over time. It's a good idea to move your collection around every couple of months at least if you think certain pieces are getting indirect sunlight, this will help to minimize visible fading.

Got the mark 43 from midtown comics today & I just found out defective lights on the left leg. As soon as I turn it on, it dims out & light goes out. Right leg lights stays on. Any of you guys dealt with midtown comics or other company outside SSC? You think they'll be able to replace the part?. I would hate to return this coz I got a good deal $488 shipped & it looks like it's sold out. It's already WL @ SSC. If it can't be replaced anyone knows how to fix this? :gah:

Hey, I work in museum exhibit design, so a huge part of my job is conservation. Sun will damage anything. Anything. Plastic, diecast, rock... even iron over time. And not just sunlight, any light. Even a low powered LED is doing incremental harm to your stuff. But sunlight is a big no-no if you plan on owning your figures for more than five years. Glass does quite a bit to protect objects, double glass is even better, but you will still see some discolouration over time. It's a good idea to move your collection around every couple of months at least if you think certain pieces are getting indirect sunlight, this will help to minimize visible fading.

So the only real solution is to display all my stuff in the dark?

So the only real solution is to display all my stuff in the dark?

I don't know how much protection cases can give, but really in an ideal world a windowless room with on/off lights when you want to look at something isn't as laughable as it possibly sounds.

Until such time as I move from my company house to my own house and can set up a dedicated display area exactly where I want I'm doing my best to compromise with my mrs and our limited space in a small company owned house. The office (3rd bedroom) I use does have a sunblind permanently down, but that blind does filter sunlight through all the same, and half of my sixth scales do get a small amount of winter sun for a short period of the morning at the moment. I'd quite happily pull the drapes in the room, but yeah she won't wear it.. We do our best to "compromise". I have given my quarter scale 43 some thought and moved some of my stuff in one corner of the room out so I can shift it there and hopefully get no sun at all.. I haven't yet noticed any issues with any of my clothed figures. I start to question the Iron Men sometimes, but I don't know whether it is the worn look of (two of) them, my imagination, the plastic variation, or a combination of all. My mrs says I'm imagining anything I might perceive to be wrong.. :lol

No guarantee there will be no fading over time even in a dark room though. Unboxed Iron Man figures have been known to get pink panties.. One advantage of the 'worn' look of both scales of the 43 is it may well help mask very minor deterioration over time.

Also, related--are we talking about direct sunlight, or any sun in the room? Obviously no sun at all would be better, but is how much worse is direct exposure? I've been wilfully ignoring this during my first year of collecting, since I will be living in single rooms for at least the next couple of years. Worried that the answer is just boxing everything I really care about.

So from a conservation standpoint "direct sunlight" would be sun rays directly facing your figure, this includes through a window. Just get your collection behind something, indirect sunlight is far less harmful.

Since this thread is on the topic of light damage, I had a question that maybe some of you who've been in this for a couple years can answer. I don't have a windowless room to display my figures. I can probably avoid direct sunlight for the lifetime of the figures, but at what point do you start to notice changes regardless? And I'm more talking about overall figure fading/damage, not isolated issues like "pink panties." Or do you even notice changes at all?

Back