【Avengers: Infinity War -1/6th scale Doctor Strange Collectible Figure】

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 【Avengers: Infinity War -1/6th scale Doctor Strange Collectible Figure】

Call it what you want, but selling an item for more than it was sold initially, is taking advantage of the buyer, even if that buyer is okay with it.

Based on this reasoning, does that mean if you receive a figure from a friend as a gift so you get it for FREE, then you can ONLY give this figure away for free to someone too since you paid nothing for it, you cannot take advantage of another person by selling it for any monetary profit? It's a flawed logic.

And if you really felt bad for selling something for a high price you could always take that extra money a donate it to your favorite cause. Someone who can afford it buys what they want at market value and you get to help with what you care about. There are a lot of people who have done that. The Pope just auctioned off a lamborghini that cost him nothing and gave the money to charity.

Call it what you want, but selling an item for more than it was sold initially, is taking advantage of the buyer, even if that buyer is okay with it. The reason why people cannot fathom selling a classic baseball card for 12 cents today is because people cannot fathom passing up the opportunity to indulge profitable self-interest. Even if a buyer is willing to spend 10 times as much for something as it was originally sold for, that buyer is still engaging in a transaction that is to their detriment; their materialism/desire simply compartmentalizes everything. If you're going to use economics as your bastion, then you'll always find a way out of accountability and a way to feel justified. But as collectors, I don't know how you could do that to others in our community. Sometimes the seller needs to tell the buyer that the item is not worth what she/he is willing to pay for it. But something tells me that that scenario, too, is difficult to fathom, which is too bad.

So you really don’t ever buy anything more then what it was built for? Come on man. Do you own a home? Those go up in value. I mean imagine if everything stayed at the retail price. And this goes for things that are cheaper..because it’s the same principle, right? A buyer would then be taking advantage of a seller. That makes zero sense, either way. Should someone that bought an original 1969 Shelby mustang for 8k be expected to sell it at the msrp? Should someone who built a house in 1960 be expected to sell it for what they paid then. If an auction for a hot toys figure goes above retail should the seller give the money back? If you bought a stock for Apple 30 years ago should you then sell it for the same price today?

If there’s no profit ever on anything then the current world economy collapse. Every store that doesn’t sell brand new goes away. Why bother when all you can do is sell it at retail forever.

That’s just a silly argument man.

If you shame people into selling collectibles only at the original retail prices instead of what the current market values are, won’t you encourage actual “scalpers” into buying all those up to resell at higher prices?

I could be mistaken, but the term being searched for I believe is called “price inflation”

Every premium member on this board selling things are considered scalpers then to those complaining about “price gouging” cause I don’t see anything going for retail or below, except for the new Disney Star Wars figures cause the new Star Wars are warming the retail shelves.

I bought the HT Electro from ASM2 direct from Sideshow and paid about $240. I couldn’t even get $99.00 for it with free shipping after relisting it 3 times. The market set the price for it. Should I be mad at Sideshow for overcharging me for something that wasn’t worth retail? Should I blame Hot Toys for making a Figure from a franchise that flopped?

OK guys enough with this crap. Talk about something else. I can see a mod coming in here soon.

If items no longer gain value or are limited in release, say goodbye to collectibles in general.

Why ought we collect things for their limited nature? And I'd like to think that you value your collection for the slices of imagination it represents rather than for the price it might accrue.

Would you sell a classic baseball card for 12 cents if you knew it was worth 1 million dollars? Honestly.

Honestly, I would submit to the temptation, Sub. But I would also honestly hate doing so. My better nature would tell me to put it all toward others, but my selfishness would intervene in some manner, which would deepen the self-hate. Either way, it's definitely an unhealthy scenario.

Based on this reasoning, does that mean if you receive a figure from a friend as a gift so you get it for FREE, then you can ONLY give this figure away for free to someone too since you paid nothing for it, you cannot take advantage of another person by selling it for any monetary profit?

Correct. I would personally not want to turn profit on a figure that someone generously gifted me. To do so would, to me, feel like dishonesty toward that person's kind gesture.

So you really don’t ever buy anything more then what it was built for? Come on man. Do you own a home? Those go up in value. I mean imagine if everything stayed at the retail price. And this goes for things that are cheaper..because it’s the same principle, right?

The principle was never intended for application to all purchasable things, which I think is fair, as this was a discussion about profiting from collectible figures. Home ownership is not a hobby, and this is why I speak of our collecting community; the size of the consumer base matters, seeing as the intimacy affects the degree to which we can conduct ourselves.

Other Freaks on here are right; if a seller doesn't ask for profit, yet receives it regardless due to the market, then so be it I guess. But to proactively profit off these toys is to receive more for nothing, and for the other person to lose more for less. That doesn't quite sit right with me, and I'd like to think that I'm not the only one who grapples with the issue, and to whom the prospect of extra money is not so blindingly enticing that it limits one's vision of what a decision might mean for the people vying to be on the other side of the transaction.

Soooo, great figure by HT right? :).

I do like how they changed the way the cape drapes, mainly over 1 shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does bbts have an alert system at all if a figure gets back in stock for preorder, similar to a wait list? I know they tend to get a little more stock in after their initial POs sell out.

Not that I'm aware of. Just have to keep an eye on the site and refresh the page throughout the day to see if it pops back into stock.

Thought you guys might like to see some shots from Secret Base today

41329763645_c841754643_o_d.jpg

41509001024_b90697f319_b_d.jpg

41329764835_7e8623dbce_b_d.jpg

41329766065_7b23efaf65_b_d.jpg

41509001164_44a4884aa2_b_d.jpg

I like how he comes with all those magic effects, really cool looking.

Thought you guys might like to see some shots from Secret Base today

41329763645_c841754643_o_d.jpg

41509001024_b90697f319_b_d.jpg

Yep, so glad I pre-ordered this guy ! He's now officially in my "core" Avengers team.

I have my DS displayed in my mystic/supernatural line up along with my Blade and Ghost Rider. But I may have to move DS to the Avengers line up soon.

Back