You should be ashamed SS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am into their Marvel line up and that's going great so I am more than happy! Also, there are a couple Buffy PFs coming out, not to mention the 12" Giles figure, oh and Darkness and Ash. I can't complain! :D

SolidLiquidFox said:
I don't think people will collect this "line". They'll cherry pick a few releases here and there.
that's exactly what i plan to do since i couldn't bring myself to get the Frodo PF because of likeness, and w/o the ringbearer i'll cherry pick. i'm perfectly content w/ Lurtz for now, so they can take their time. i do hope they do a better job on Aragorn than CM did.

I'm sure the LOTR license had to be fairly expensive so you would think they would want to recoup that money and dish out more PF and 12" figs... guess not.

I got out of Marvel to focus on Star Wars and LOTR. Since I backed out of the LOTR 12" line, that basically means that right now I am collecting Star Wars stuff of all kinds, plus the LOTR busts from GG, I guess. I would certainly buy a PF but the long dry spell in the LOTR line is just mind blowing. I don't want 12" figures and I don't want little dioramas. I want 1/4 scale figures and even if they ran into production challenges you would think that after about six months, the next one in line would pass it up, and when that one got delayed as well, the third one in line would pass it up after another six months. The length of time we are looking at between announcements shows that this is obviously one of the most back-burner of all the lines that are not officially dead.

I think the bottom line is that with Frodo and Lurtz both still available as second chance items, there just aren't enough people buying into this line. Sideshow is going to put their efforts where the demand lies, and that is with Star Wars and Marvel. I never thought I would see the day when LOTR received less attention than something like the Buffy PF line, but the money just doesn't seem to be there with these things. Sideshow will not completely abandon the line, but it has certainly become a footnote that will only produce a token release every year and a half or so.

:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

We knew when they announced it that it would not move at the pace of the Star Wars PF line, and that we would probably only see one or two a year. But even at that rate, we should have seen twice as many announcements by now. Frodo and Lurtz are both great, but they don't really belong together. We need more pieces to make this start looking like an actual collection and not just the "odd couple" from Middle-Earth who never interacted or shared screen time. A Gandalf or Aragorn to go with Frodo and a Saruman or Boromir to go with Lurtz, and suddenly the releases start to hang together and the line starts to pick up steam.

I'm not collecting the LOTR PF line (all 2 of them!), but I really feel for those who are.

I could have sworn that during Spooktacular chat someone from SSC said that the line wasn't dead and that they where working on the next piece. That was 5 months ago. Anyone else remember this or do I have it wrong?

We have actually received hints that there are two pieces in production.

But that kind of makes it even more depressing, because you would think that at least one of the two would be ready to preorder by now. If there was just one and it was hitting production snags, that would be understandable. But knowing that there is another one in the works, you would think that it would pass the other one up and get previewed first. At this point, we will take anything.

gambit said:
I just remember of Snowbunny padme 12" that SS announced last year :D

Yes! But at least in her case, they gave us an official update and told us that they ran into a few snags and were going back to the drawing board. With the LOTR PFs, we have had no official news.

,...15 months is a looooooonnnnnnng time,...gosh,...imagine what the star wars geeks would do if faced with the same situation,..
,.....they would be camping at sideshow headquarters yelling and demanding matt falls head!,.. :lol

In their defence they do have a lot on their plates, but really they probally have noticed that the line hasn't preformed quite like they expected so they pulled back on the reigns a bit. LOTR isn't SW you know.

Last edited:
Its down right pathetic. No sugar coating, SS have just ****ed this line up BIG time(THUS FAR). There was SO much that couldve been done in that time.

I think the latest newsletter might point towards the problem. The edition sizes for the Sauron bust and diorama are low and they're sold out (with some really patronising drivel about "snooze and lose"...). In other words, they haven't sold very well (I seem to remember a similar thing happening with the Newborn Uruk a few years ago..). I personally feel that they've tried to diversify too much - with the 12" and PF, we don't need large busts and dioramas (IMHO). Two lines of LotR are sustainable, but four most definitely are not. I think they should have one "cheaper" line, such as the 12" or diorama, and one "expensive" line, ie the PFs or the Legendary busts. As I said, I would like the 12" and PFs to continue, I have no interest whatsoever in the busts and dioramas - the first are too big, and the latter too small. Seems to me like they've tried to over-exploit the line and its backfired on them, hence we're not seeing the effort put into the PFs (particularly) and the 12" (to a lesser extent). As has been said before, something official to let us collectors know where we stand would be helpful - I haven't even bothered displaying my Lurtz and Frodo as they look so out of place with the rest of my (SSW) collection - I had hoped by now to have at least 3 or 4 PFs that would've made for a better display - unfortunately (understatement of the year) that hasn't happened. So SS, what exactly is going on with the LotR PF line? Please...??

i do know that i've dropped out of LOTR items from sideshow. just because of this issue. i was gonna try to keep up with the 12" figures and pick the PF that i liked the most, but due to lack of releases i said forget it. this sucks because i really like the lurtz PF, but because of lack of LOTR companions for him i will probably sell him soon to get money for SW or marvel pieces.

LOTR DONT SELL AS MUCH AS MARVEL AND SW.THATS A FACT.YOU CANT BLAME SIDESHOW FOR MAKING STUFF THAT SELLS...A MARY JANE MAQUETTE SELLS MORE THAN A PIPPIN PF....SUX FOR THE LOTR FANS THOUGH....

Shai Hulud said:
LOTR DONT SELL AS MUCH AS MARVEL AND SW.THATS A FACT.YOU CANT BLAME SIDESHOW FOR MAKING STUFF THAT SELLS...A MARY JANE MAQUETTE SELLS MORE THAN A PIPPIN PF....SUX FOR THE LOTR FANS THOUGH....

I might agree with SW but not marvel

iron man was 500 ex and 750 regular and it was the best IM statue ever. It also took time for it to sold out.
Lurtz is 750 exc and 1250 regular
exc is sold out and regular is at least sold like 1000 I presume.

Magneto exc 500 and regular is still TBD
500 exc has recently sold out after months and regular is still avaliable

the reason for Frodo PF still avaliable is due to that bad face sculpt and high price imo.

I just think the average LOTR fan doesnt buy as much collectibles as the marvel fan who is generally more inclined to collect stuff,like comics, statues ect...Some LOTR fans dont even know those collectibles exist....comics fans go to a comic store and see statues and bust all over the place.

good point,
I agree that the majority of the comic readers are also buying statues busts,figures...etc.

I am relatively a new collector compared to most of the collectors on this board and I really wanted to have a great LOTR PF line but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case :monkey2

Maybe LOTR should consider killing off a major character and then pushing that story in all the major news outlets. That might get some interest back among the general public and then SS would have to make a PF of that character.

Until then...Make Mine Marvel!!!

Back