Xbox One System Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Xbox 720 (Next gen Microsoft system) Discussion

I'm a bit confused by the mandatory install strategy, so it means you install the entire game, and don't have to use the disc anymore to play? Wouldn't this use a gigantic amount of memory on the hard drive? I know it's because they want to make people pay fees when they're playing a used game, but I don't see how memory won't be a huge issue.

And has PS4 said anything about mandatory installation? I can't find any news about it.

edit: yeah Kabukiman's article is the one I just read, sounds like a terrible idea to me.

does it mean that its better than PS4?

me as well i dont care about the entertainment stuff..

From what I understand the specs are very similar to the PS4, maybe a little bit less but not in any way that you'll notice a difference.

I think Xbox One beats PS4 in terms of console features, so it's really going to come down to the games. I think overall both consoles are going to be great releases, it will probably be very much like the Xbox 360 and PS3 are now--basically the same with differences in exclusives.

I'm a bit confused by the mandatory install thing, so it means you install the entire game, and don't have to use the disc anymore to play? Wouldn't this use a gigantic amount of memory on the hard drive? I know it's because they want to make people pay fees when they're playing a used game, but I don't see how memory won't be a huge issue.

And has PS4 said anything about mandatory installation? I can't find any news about it.

edit: yeah Kabukiman's article is the one I just read, sounds like a terrible idea to me.
It seems kind of odd, if they want to force it to install I think I would be better to just require the disc to be in the drive, at least when the game first starts. Otherwise it seems like they're killing the used game market but doing even worse by taking the money from developers

So if a bunch of people use one console, like a family, it looks like each extra person will have to pay money to play the same game. That's possibly the dumbest move from MS to date. But it's amazing what people will tolerate and defend for "console loyalty".

It seems kind of odd, if they want to force it to install I think I would be better to just require the disc to be in the drive, at least when the game first starts. Otherwise it seems like they're killing the used game market but doing even worse by taking the money from developers
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by it. I didn't have anything against buying MS systems (I did own a 360), I just get concerned with stuff like this that seems to change the way we've always played games, and makes it more complex and possibly unfair to some people.

Last edited:

From what I understand, it's confirmed the technology is there in the PS4, but Sony hasn't confirmed whether they're going to require it or not. I think the last I heard was that they would leave it up to the developer.

From what I understand the specs are very similar to the PS4, maybe a little bit less but not in any way that you'll notice a difference.

I think Xbox One beats PS4 in terms of console features, so it's really going to come down to the games. I think overall both consoles are going to be great releases, it will probably be very much like the Xbox 360 and PS3 are now--basically the same with differences in exclusives.

It seemed to me Microsoft focused on the One has a home entertainment system, while Sony focused on the PS4 as a gaming console. When I was watching the reveal I was surprised at how little we saw of actual games. Whether that makes the One better or worse than the PS4 remains to be seen, but Xbox needs to make sure they focus on the games, and not everything else, which was what the reveal felt like to me.

Plus, if the PS4 does not have those checks on games like the link above shows the Xbox having, that's a big plus for PS over Xbox.

So if a bunch of people use one console, like a family, it looks like each extra person will have to pay money to play the same game. That's possibly the dumbest move from MS to date. But it's amazing what people will tolerate and defend for "console loyalty".

Yup, since every installation is tied up to an account.... pshhhh that's boolsheet, I think it's even worse than the "always online" thingy.

From what I understand, it's confirmed the technology is there in the PS4, but Sony hasn't confirmed whether they're going to require it or not. I think the last I heard was that they would leave it up to the developer.
Thank you, so I guess it exists because developers are pushing for the option. I hope they don't all use it, but I'm worried about companies like Capcom lol.

Yup, since every installation is tied up to an account.... pshhhh that's boolsheet, I think it's even worse than the "always online" thingy.
Thanks for the info. Wow, that is really bad, having a family in the same house paying extra to play the game, when they might not even be able to afford it, is just mind-boggling. Even if the fee is small, this is just all kinds of wrong.

Oh no just seen the reveal its a fecking set top box more than that its a fecking pay for view set top box Oh dear

Thanks for the info. Wow, that is really bad, having a family in the same house paying extra to play the game, when they might not even be able to afford it, is just mind-boggling. Even if the fee is small, this is just all kinds of wrong.

Yes, if they are going to do that, why on earth wouldn't they tie up the installation to the WHOLE console? not just one account. I share consoles with my brother,and we both have our personal accounts, so it's at least 2 accounts, it's retarded that one of us would have to pay extra to play the same game on the same console.

It's just dumb and a kick in the nuts for the users.

I'll wait till E3 to make up my mind but so far the PS4 is my top choice. SONY has the best exclusives, free online gaming (and that's a big plus in my book) and from what i saw slightly better graphics. Add to that the vita cross-buy and cross-play thingy and you've got a winner.

XB1 won't work without Kinect installed.
The camera will always be on watching you.

Back