X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27, 2016

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the deal with Oscar Isaac

He's not even that great of an actor..

Singer's already hinted at the space route being the natural next step. So The Shi'ar, The Phoenix, Starjammers and M'Kraan Crystal at some point in 2019.

As a fan it would be great to see that, but it would take a huge amount of universe building. Maybe as a two-parter, which I'd be all for. The hook could be
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Singer's already hinted at the space route being the natural next step. So The Shi'ar, The Phoenix, Starjammers and M'Kraan Crystal at some point in 2019.

Oh I know, I was just making a joke because after this movie Fox may want to erase it from continuity.

I honestly can't see Singer coming back though. Maybe he'll stay on as producer but I think Fox is going to make a lot of changes with the mediocre box office numbers and the mixed critical response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, 4 day will be mid 80 which is still 3-6 million below DOFP! :slap

Ouch.

Singer is a goner.

Pretty soon Ryan Reynolds will be directing the next X-Men movie. :lol

Singer ain't going anywhere and Apocalypse cost $70 million less than DOFP.

As a fan it would be great to see that, but it would take a huge amount of universe building. Maybe as a two-parter, which I'd be all for. The hook could be
Spoiler Spoiler:

This.

Literally open the film with The Shi'ar following the energy signature straight to Earth.

Talkin' about universe building and Shi'ar after one film bein' a reboot of a reboot and the next one cramin' together First Class, Weapon-X, Apocalypse and Phoenix stories... YOU ARE MAD, guys! Completely bonkers!!! :lol

Days of Future Past took in $110 million opening weekend

And Apocalypse cost more to make (it's the biggest XMEN movie)

But think about it if anyone on 'our side' had tried to humanise or see the 'good' in Bin Laden they would have been pummelled :lol That is how low Magneto should be regarded after this. And anyone who is friends with him, who supports him or facilitates him would be tarring themselves.
Well. . .the U.S. more or less did this with bin Laden when he was in the Mujahideen fighting the Soviets. So. . .

Coming back to DOFP, recall that just prior to the scene where Mags moves the stadium, Xavier has a chat with his future self, and knows that Magneto in the long run is a crucial ally in the mutants' fight for survival. So to pull a Khev Batman V Superman-type justification, I think it is perfectly internally consistent with the logic of the films. Mags has the potential to do bad, or good in the future. But from a self-preservation standpoint, given that unknown, it's better for the mutants by far to have him around than not to.

Not sure about where all the sky is falling fears about the ticket sales are coming from. Box Office Mojo says this meets studio expectations. 4 day weekend total should be in around $80 million. DOFP made more, but it had Wolverine as the primary character, so that's no shock. DOFP also cost a lot more. It has made almost $200 million internationally.

Get outta town.

Days of Future Past took in $110 million opening weekend

And Apocalypse cost more to make (it's the biggest XMEN movie)

Nope.

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE cost a little under $180 Million. DOFP cost $250 Million.

Good riddance

I hope that sends a clear message to the director and Simon Kinberg

... Y'all got lucky with Days of Future Past because u followed the COMIC BOOK

Their laisse faire attitude with this film should be ridiculed. I hope FOX loses rights to XMEN even though I loved Storm Cyclops Jean Professor and Quicksilver

Following the comics has nothing to do with how good a movie is. Did you also hate X1, X2, and First Class? They all deviated from the source material just as much as Apocalypse. Hell, Civil War is almost nothing like the comic and many believe it's actually much better because of that.

Luck had nothing to do with how good DOFP turned out :lol

I'm totally down for an animated theatrical XMEN movie, kinda like SONYs Animated Miles Morales Spider-Man film coming to theatres.

I never want to see another XMEN live action film made by the creators of Apocalypse

Following the comics has nothing to do with how good a movie is. Did you also hate X1, X2, and First Class? They all deviated from the source material just as much as Apocalypse. Hell, Civil War is almost nothing like the comic and many believe it's actually much better because of that.

Luck had nothing to do with how good DOFP turned out :lol

X2 followed weapon X arc to a tee

The first XMEN movie was horrible aside from the opening scene which is inspired by the comic.

Everything great from the XMEN universe in the live action films was inspired by the comics or cartoons.

Days of Future past resetting timeline came from cartoon episode "one mans worth"

If u don't think so you are deluded.

Oh I know, I was just making a joke because after this movie Fox may want to erase it from continuity.

I honestly can't see Singer coming back though. Maybe he'll stay on as producer but I think Fox is going to make a lot of changes with the mediocre box office numbers and the mixed critical response.

They won't care about the critical response as long as money is made and because this film cost less they'll break even much faster.

Also, Singer isn't working with them again until 2018 so the filmmakers that are doing X films in the next two years (Mangold, Liman, Boone, Miller, Hawley) can help mold what kind of film Singer will make when he returns. Apocalypse was undercooked. They won't boot Singer over that but they'll def think twice about letting another X-Men film get released that way.

Well. . .the U.S. more or less did this with bin Laden when he was in the Mujahideen fighting the Soviets. So. . .

Coming back to DOFP, recall that just prior to the scene where Mags moves the stadium, Xavier has a chat with his future self, and knows that Magneto in the long run is a crucial ally in the mutants' fight for survival. So to pull a Khev Batman V Superman-type justification, I think it is perfectly internally consistent with the logic of the films. Mags has the potential to do bad, or good in the future. But from a self-preservation standpoint, given that unknown, it's better for the mutants by far to have him around than not to.

Not sure about where all the sky is falling fears about the ticket sales are coming from. Box Office Mojo says this meets studio expectations. 4 day weekend total should be in around $80 million. DOFP made more, but it had Wolverine as the primary character, so that's no shock. DOFP also cost a lot more. It has made almost $200 million internationally.

Get outta town.

The problem isn't how much it makes opening weekend though, look at BvS, it opened huge, but it had no legs. With the critical reception, word of mouth, and all the other big summer movies opening pretty much for the entire month of June, I doubt this will come close to meeting studio expectations.

While I'm not a huge fan of this movie (6.5-7/10), I absolutely don't want to see it fail. $80M opening is nothing to sneeze at. So hopefully it has some legs and word of mouth and the international market keeps things going. I do not get the whole DC vs. Marvel or X-Men vs. MCU and hoping to see these movies tank (other than Fan4stic I have to admit). Let different studios produce their movies and enjoy them for what they are. Who knows if Marvel would do a better job? I think it's possible, but I have no idea and their plate is already full as it is (but they could squeeze in FF). I quite like the new cast additions--Scott, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler and think these kids deserve a chance to make 2-3 more movies in the series. I'd like to see them reform Angel and Psylocke, add Colossus and Iceman and cast a new Wolverine since Jackman is stepping away, and it makes sense. The X-Men catalog is chock full of great characters--Havok (bring him back), Polaris, Rogue, Gambit (although hopefully not Tatum), etc. I also think Singer got many more things "right" this time out so as long as the series stays on this track I'm fine with him continuing to steer the ship if that's what it takes. Yes it comes down to money for the studios, so again who knows.

I'd have to disagree on that one.

Last edited:
Well it's complete speculation on our part, but Box Office Mojo's guys seem to know what's going on by and large. So, I would rely a bit on their interpretation of things.

The first XMEN movie was horrible aside from the opening scene which is inspired by the comic.

Everything great from the XMEN universe in the live action films was inspired by the comics or cartoons.

Days of Future past resetting timeline came from cartoon episode "one mans worth"

Well I must be deluded too, because I'm a big time old school X-Men comic fan, but feel the movies have always played hard and fast with the source material. Starting with Wolvie's size and random changes in ages and personalities (Rogue, initial Mystique and Sabretooth) of characters. When the films do stick to comic-related stories, it's only in very broad ways, taking elements here or there. The Weapon X storyline from Marvel Comics Presents didn't have anything about Xavier's Institute being attacked, Magneto's role, Nightcrawler being introduced, etc. etc. Stryker is a totally different character in the comic. In fact, anything that was relevant was just happening in the background/in flashbacks as context more or less. So clearly, the movie didn't succeed because it was faithful to that storyline.

I do not get the whole DC vs. Marvel or X-Men vs. MCU and hoping to see these movies tank (other than Fan4stic I have to admit). Let different studios produce their movies and enjoy them for what they are.

This x100.

With two different studios doing Marvel films we get SIX Marvel films per year. Sure, both studios are capable of hits and misses, but that's always the case with any genre.

If Disney owned everything, Deadpool wouldn't exist, the upcoming R-rated OLD MAN LOGAN film wouldn't be happening and we'd never see films like X-Force, New Mutants or Gambit in development, not to mention cerebral CBMs like FIRST CLASS & DOFP.

I root for all the studios to succeed. Betting on one horse is foolish specially when the MCU's tone is so light.

You picked some of the few things that were relatively accurate and using that to show that's why those movies turned out good even though they don't make up a fraction of what those movies were about is ridiculous :lol

X2 did not follow the Weapon X storyline to a tee, by the way do you know how many weapon X storylines there are in the comics? Plus, the whole weapon X part of the story wasn't that prominent at all.

Again, First Class is nothing like the First Class comics it was named after, they don't even have 90% of the same team, yet that movie turned out good.

They won't care about the critical response as long as money is made and because this film cost less they'll break even much faster.

Also, Singer isn't working with them again until 2018 so the filmmakers that are doing X films in the next two years (Mangold, Liman, Boone, Miller, Hawley) can help mold what kind of film Singer will make when he returns. Apocalypse was undercooked. They won't boot Singer over that but they'll def think twice about letting another X-Men film get released that way.

I don't know about that man, X3 made a lot of money and that seemed to put the series on halt because of how bad it was. Then they made a spinoff and that turned out so bad they planned on rebooting the entire thing until Singer came back on board and decided to turn the reboot into a prequel which is why First Class has so many plot holes within the continuity of the series.

Now I don't think this movie is bad enough that Fox is going to want to reboot everything but I will be pretty shocked if Singer directs the next X-Men film.

Back