why Hot Toys doesn't get TV licenses and do TV series characters (TVMS)?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are Tonto, Maleficient, Ichabod Crane, Kerberos Panzer, Sucker Punch, etc random licenses? :dunno

Reread my post. Keywords being 'make much past'. Sucker punch was years ago and at the end of them taking chances. The others you mentioned are within the last year or two thats not really helping your argument either when you tally up those 4 against the slew that fall into licenses I named.

:lol Cookie Lyon in 1:6th form.

I think a lot of good point are made here, one being the popularity factor and costume changes but I think also lead time. It takes a while to get a figure out and with some of these shows people love the character one minute and then hate them the next. Who knows though, with Threezero doing GOT figures maybe HT will dip into this pool. I'd love a Harrison Wells Reverse Flash on my shelves

:rotfl

Cookie with smack talking action! Do it Hot Toys do it!

The Wells reverse flash would be EPIC!

Give me Deathstroke from Arrow too...

I think the reason behind many of the license choices with Hot Toys is very simple - what does Howard like. He doesn't seem to be a very big TV guy, and I think many of the odd choices they seem to make - Ichabod Crane anyone? - are in no small part to Howard's feeling toward the character and license. He's not a fool, and won't continue down a road that's not profitable, but most of his risks are based on his personal preferences, which isn't a bad idea. He's not a big TV guy, hence not a lot of TV licenses.

I think this is also why you don't see them do anything 'new'. If it's not a tried and true nerd property, they don't do it, and I don't think it's about risk - I think it's simply because it's not something Howard has had time to grow to love.

I thought they did with Batman and Prison Break...
Anyway, they are 80's fans so I wonder why they haven't latched on to Ghostbusters yet.
Technically the Batman figures were from the theatrical film associated with the TV show, but they were mostly known for the show obviously. And the Prison Break figures also happened, but HT just dabbled there, as they have with other things like musicians, anime characters, art figures (the Stan Winston stuff for example), Cosbabies, etc. I would be less surprised to see a "special" release of a major TV show character like a Tony Soprano, Walter White, or Homer Simpson than to see a dedicated approach with multiple releases.

Tv shows are too vast for HT to make. Even if they picked up the license for something like GoT or TWD, we'd be lucky to get 3 characters made.

It has to be something that the Asian market will buy because the TV industry is not as big as the film industry. We know even Star Wars is not very popular in Asia, but Howard Chan is a fan of the series. Without his interest, HT may never have picked up that license.

I think we're lucky that ThreeZero picked up GoT, TWD and Breaking Bad.

HT is not the only game in town. There are plenty of companies popping up that could take on TV licenses. The question is whether or not there's money in it. You've got ThreeZero taking on GoT and TWD, and another company doing Breaking Bad. Those are popular current shows with huge fan bases. But conversely you don't see licensed figures for Mad Men (something I would get), Hannibal, Boardwalk Empire, or Dexter which have been pretty popular customs. Some of that has to do with demographics of viewers as well as global appeal. I know Dr. Who figs have been trickling out, although not something I'm personally interested in. I'm not sure how well the '66 Batman and Robin sold for HT which could be the reason why we're not seeing other pieces for that line. And probably the hottest TV license around, Star Trek, has never been able to get much traction. But the good news is that the bigger the 1:6 market gets the more chances there will be for high end TV figures. I do think there's a market there but its risky for these companies just like anything else.

I am not sure which license costs more? Movie or TV? Or that doesn't even matter for HT. Anyway it looks like HT willing to pay a lump sum of license fee and only make just 1 or 2 characters out of it. The Expendables, for example.

Reread my post. Keywords being 'make much past'. Sucker punch was years ago and at the end of them taking chances. The others you mentioned are within the last year or two thats not really helping your argument either when you tally up those 4 against the slew that fall into licenses I named.

Reread my post. I didn't make an argument, I asked a question. Relax yo self. No reason to tally up anything, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that HT is going to keep cranking out Iron men since they sell like hot cakes.

Pretty much. The time of HT taking chances on random licenses are long over. They won't make much past Superheroes, Star Wars, Terminator and Alien/Predators.

errrrr...

Robocop
The Crow
Mime Joker
Ichabod Crane
Maleficent
John Matrix
Marty McFly
Captain Harlock
Barney Ross
Joe Colton
Storm Shadow
Tonto

:dunno

That's a pretty good list. :lol

Not sure they sold as well as HT might have liked.. but that's another story. :lol

Problem is (as I think has been mentioned in other threads) a license being popular, does not automatically guarantee it's fanbase are the type who will buy action figures, in large quantities.

I'm sure to get razed about this but Star Trek seems to be a no brainer to me. It may not be current tv but it has a large fan base much like Star Wars. They'd likely be cheaper figures to make, sans likenesses. Original and Next Gen uniform patterns would be consistent throughout each series and so would weaponry.

I'm sure to get razed about this but Star Trek seems to be a no brainer to me. It may not be current tv but it has a large fan base much like Star Wars. They'd likely be cheaper figures to make, sans likenesses. Original and Next Gen uniform patterns would be consistent throughout each series and so would weaponry.

I'd certainly buy a good Borg figure.. not so sure about the rest.. then again, I'm very picky.

Back