Why bother buying figures now if a newer, improved version may be offered later?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthAlias

Super Freak
Reaction score
With the release of newly painted and somewhat improved Jabba from SS, when do you stop buying now if years down the road there will be a better version? I'm sure in years to come, HT will improve all the major releases we've seen/have acquired. When is it enough to just stop buying now or do you keep upgrading? Unfortunately i'm a sucker for upgrades and will pick and choose, but should i stop now and wait for the eventual v2,3,4,etc?

With the release of newly painted and somewhat improved Jabba from SS, when do you stop buying now if years down the road there will be a better version? I'm sure in years to come, HT will improve all the major releases we've seen/have acquired. When is it enough to just stop buying now or do you keep upgrading? Unfortunately i'm a sucker for upgrades and will pick and choose, but should i stop now and wait for the eventual v2,3,4,etc?

I guess it depends on how much you care. I didn't upgrade my Maul when they re-released, despite all the hype. When HT made new figures of the core OT group, they were so blatantly better I felt it was definitely time for an upgrade, doesn't mean I'll swallow the hook on every single re-release.

Welcome to the 1/6th Figure collecting world.

That's just the way it's always been. Enjoy what you got, while you got it. The only option is to sell it all off and find another hobby.

I will say that sometimes it's difficult to replace a tried and true figure for a new release. Even though the newer one is all around a better rendition of the character, there may just be something special with the older one. Sentimental reasons, a custom build, been in the collection for many years, etc...

z9c83.jpg

Why buy anything then? New cars, iPhones, iPads, TVs, vhs/dvd/Blu-ray/4K Blu-ray, etc. things are going to constantly improve.

i'm all for upgrades, and you can bet i will be every version of Maul released from HT and SS. But why buy now when you know a better version will be coming out later. I guess it's different for everyone, do i buy HT ROTJ Luke if HT makes a DX version maybe down the road? It's crazy as i guess SS will redo items HT may not put out. Aliens and environments I assume.

When it comes to 1:6 I will ONLY buy HotToys. Time and time again Sideshow has shown that they produce a 1:6 product that is subpar to HotToys and they’re QC has proven countless times to be a fail regardless of what they produce. While I think it’s an interesting endeavor of Sideshow to be producing 1:6 pieces alongside HotToys, I think it’s ultimately foolish of them and they should put the effort elsewhere.

JMO

So yeah, I’m waiting for HT to make Jabba. 😁

I guess it depends on how important the character is to you -- although at these prices, one assumes all of them are important enough to drop the discretionary income on.

But beyond that it depends on *how much* of an improvement it is. There seems to have been a big jump in paint apps and maybe sculpts as well recently, although the latter is uneven.

How much better can they really get at this scale?

Recently they improved proportions and articulation on Iron Man, and the R1 stormtroopers -- though technically a "new" character rendition, are the closest sculpt I've seen to what we get onscreen. Those are easy upgrades for me. You look at Tarkin and there's not much you could do. Batman Returns? Something to solve the lack of articulation (not that it will ever happen, just an example) would cause me to bite.

As for new versions of characters e.g. Infinity War...it's cool that other people are into them, but outside of *maybe* Black Widow I don't see myself biting on any of the new designs, they don't do it for me because they're not "classic" enough for me.

A true icon for me is Bruce Lee - although it's debatable, I feel like I have the best contemporary release in the EB 75th version, but if someone knocks a new likeness out of the park of course I'll upgrade, it's one of my favourites.

So the answer is -- it depends, but we're in a moment where standards are already very high. It's not like upgrading from old Medicom, SSC or even older HT...the new stuff is so very much on point that I suspect the need to upgrade for quality issues is less, and it's more about a collector's idiosyncratic preferences and renditions of a given character/costume.

Back when there were rumours of an MCU Spidey, I held on to my ASM2 for a while, because I wanted to enjoy a Spidey figure in the moment instead of waiting on some future version, so there is that too.

Because i want to enjoy the toy rather sooner than later. You can always sell it and buy a new one if that's your desire. It's like anything else, anything. Every now and then something newer and better than what you already have come up.

There's the rub. I'm constantly fighting this battle, and whether to commit to buy now, or wait to see what comes along. Sometimes I feel like
I've made smart choices and bought an earlier but better version of a character, and sometimes I feel the opposite...I snooze and lose.

I look at my original DX Jack Sparrow and it's one of the finest likenesses and figures to date and I'm thrilled to own it.
I'm sorely tempted by the Dead Men version that just came out, but really, is it better ENOUGH to justify a second Jack in my collection?
And so I sit.

I've been buying Star Wars Hot Toys left and right and it's funny, but one of the most pivotal characters of the entire thing, Vader, still
remains absent. I just haven't been able to buy any of the versions. I'm BEYOND close to hitting the button finally on the ESB one, but
then I sit here and think 'What if they do the inevitable ROTJ one with a reveal head?'. You can drive yourself absolutely bonkers with this stuff.

Hunting, anticipating, buying, selling and trading are a huge part of this hobby for me, as well as editing and curating the collection.

The collection is never done. Some things will come and go, either due to improvements or losing interest in a given item. Because the whole thing is a never ending process — at times active, others much less so — I just relax and enjoy it.

Bought a thing? Great. Found a better version of a thing? Also great.

I’ve made money, lost money — I figure you pay to play and enjoy the ride. This is also cheaper than a lot of other things I enjoy, like travel and involvement in amateur sports.

Once I realized it’s never “done” I chilled out a bit. Like most of us I still obsess over details but in a fun way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great points here. Although one thing i will stop collecting is newly iron man marks. I am slowly replacing my marks 1-7 with their die cast versions but will stop at that. the new MK 48 being $400+ is crazy pricey and i'm priced out at that for IM.

When it comes to 1:6 I will ONLY buy HotToys.[...]

That's pretty much where I landed. Enterbay does a fine job and I sometimes forget Bruce Lee 75th isn't in fact HT, but SSC hasn't quite got to HT's level yet, IMO -- some great releases notwithstanding. Some custom stuff I've seen and owned comes damn close as well, but HT production is generally a tough act to follow.

I've recently signed up to have myself cryogenically frozen.

I plan to be revived in 75 years and the first thing I will do is go on holoVR-eBay and buy all the best versions of all the figures, and the best part is, all of you poor suckers will be dead!!!

Because we may be dead by the time the upgrade comes out. Buy what you like, enjoy it, sell it if something better comes out. It’s what I do.

When it comes to 1:6 I will ONLY buy HotToys. Time and time again Sideshow has shown that they produce a 1:6 product that is subpar to HotToys and they’re QC has proven countless times to be a fail regardless of what they produce. While I think it’s an interesting endeavor of Sideshow to be producing 1:6 pieces alongside HotToys, I think it’s ultimately foolish of them and they should put the effort elsewhere.

JMO

So yeah, I’m waiting for HT to make Jabba. 😁

People seem happy with SS Dengar, 4LOM, Zuckuss and Bossk....

People seem happy with SS Dengar, 4LOM, Zuckuss and Bossk....

I think it's because HT will probably never do them at all or at least in years to come. They know the quality is great until HT releases them they'll be selling them. Again, it's a mind set of do i buy now and take the chance of it never being done? Or do i buy now to satisfy my collecting needs and upgrade later? Being a collector in this industry sucks. Why can't be it like coins where's it's a one and done piece? Same concept with props, eFX wants to eventually release all the sabers again that MR did.

It's $800 for the new one and throne, I paid for the original single Jabba:
TFAW.com said:
Your final in-stock purchases:
Quantity Item Available Price
Star Wars Scum and Villainy - Jabba the Hutt
$57.99
Subtotal: $57.99
Shipping: $13.47
Total: $71.46

And it's not a character I care THAT much about. The original looks great and does the job so I'm not going to bother with the new version.

Isn't this the same that could be said about phones.... or cars.... or girlfriends?

haha, yes but some people don't upgrade their phones, cars and girlfriends until they break/breakdown/find something broken. Are those the same people who will upgrade because it's a better offering? There's always 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it.'

Back