Why aren't 12" figures numbered???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanpedromanrique

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Usually Weta figures with editions up to 5,000 are numbered. So why 12" figures aren't???:confused: :confused: :confused: I would like them to be...

Have they officially stated that they won't be?
Cuz if they haven't, maybe there's still a chance.

*ss*

The reason 12" figures aren't numbered is simple.

IT'S STUPID!!

Who cares what number the figure, or for that matter, a statue has. A number is just a number. As long as you have 1 of the edition it doesn't matter.

Numbering is only useful for prop replicas and the like, where the quality is apt to go down as the mold is re-used. But the process for 12" figures is such that the first one looks much the same as the last. In most cases, improvements are sometimes made as flaws are discovered, so that the newer figures are sometimes better than the first.
I've never seen that numbering has ever benefited the collectibility of a 12" figure. All of the Hasbro G.I. Joes Masterpiece figures were numbered, and they're worthless today.
Numbering is a bunk-o way to give an item a percieved collectibility. Sideshow's 12" figures do ont require this farcicle stunt.
And I don't want to come on this board and read 1,001 threads about what number Kit Fisto everyone got. It's boring.

Bonehead15 said:
The reason 12" figures aren't numbered is simple.

IT'S STUPID!!

Who cares what number the figure, or for that matter, a statue has. A number is just a number. As long as you have 1 of the edition it doesn't matter.

You don't care, I don't care, some people do care. Like you said, it's just a number... So, if you don't care, why don't you let it pass you by?

Alice Adrenochrome said:
You don't care, I don't care, some people do care. Like you said, it's just a number... So, if you don't care, why don't you let it pass you by?

This is more fun!

I would also like it if they were numbered...

The fact that they are not won't stop me from buying and enjoying them but I would prefer it if they were. There is something about looking to see what number you scored and keeping a record of all the numbers you have.

I used to collect mostly cold cast porcelain statues and they were all numbered. I know some would say that those are not figures, they are statues... But take "DC Direct's" Superman 13" figure, it is numbered to 5000. Their upcoming Green Lantern, Lex Luthor, Two Face and Batman 13" will also all be numbered.

I think Playmate numbering their Star Trek figures ruined it for the rest of the industry.

I bought a package of several Star Wars Pez Dispensers. It had a nice label on it and was individually numbered. Totally unnecessary! I can understand numbering certain items to guarantee that only a certain amount were made, but some things just don't need them. I like the numbers on my statues, but don't feel the need for individually numbered action figures.

I agree that some "things" are not meant to be numbered, but who decides which "things" to be numbered? I have seen things smaller than PEZ despensers numbered. I collect the GG mini jedi swords and they are not numbered, which caused a stir at SDCC 05 because no one knew how many really there were and what were to do with the remaining swords. IMO 12" figures should be numbered. Otherwise, why make a limited run? It would be more significant to know that there is an ACTUAL amount of the figure.

Last edited:
student_toe5 said:
IMO 12" figures should be numbered. Otherwise, why make a limited run? It would be more significant to know that there is an ACTUAL amount of the figure.

Well, for the SW 12" I will just print out a copy of the figure page that says what the edition size was and there is my proof on how many were made.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Now that's an interesting opinion on the subject! Never saw it from that point of view.

Well, it's not always a secondary factor, but I think if Sideshow thought they could release these on a mss market scale and keep the quality up and the price point down, without losing focus on their other product, then they would. But the system just isn't shaped like that. Numbering collectibles is basically a marketing tool. It's done to add perceived collectibility, basically to influence the prospecting collector into thinking that the numbered item is going to have some sort of added value, which is silly. If there are 5,000 Anakins, then there are 5,000 Anakins. I don't need a bogus production number stamped to his foot to tell me that I bought a cool collectible.

i think someone has asked this before.

12" figures and polystone statues for example are different. the statues are placed with their bases that are numbered and they come together.

for 12" figures, where do you want to number it? on the box? on the stand? on the figure? it doesnt really make sense. i don't see a need to individually number the 12" figures. some may decide to open, some may not. some may display with the stand some may not?

actually i've no idea if the figures can stand by itself without the stands. :D

I don't care if they're numbered. Gentle Giant number their pieces, but I've never paid that much attention to which ones I have. I'm not all that crazy about knowing how many are made, either. It does makes some people think they have to get one because it has a low edition size.

I guess if numbers are important to you, you could write one on there with a Sharpie.

Customikey said:
Well, it's not always a secondary factor, but I think if Sideshow thought they could release these on a mss market scale and keep the quality up and the price point down, without losing focus on their other product, then they would. But the system just isn't shaped like that. Numbering collectibles is basically a marketing tool. It's done to add perceived collectibility, basically to influence the prospecting collector into thinking that the numbered item is going to have some sort of added value, which is silly. If there are 5,000 Anakins, then there are 5,000 Anakins. I don't need a bogus production number stamped to his foot to tell me that I bought a cool collectible.

Very well put.....when a novice collector sees a number on a collectible it will further influence the purchase.....rather than just seeing the collectible for what it is.Perceived collectibilty and genuine collectibility or often two totally different things...Often placing the numder of the ES or putting "limited edition" or "for a limited time only" will influence someone to buy simply thinking they have somthing special....Simply put it is often used as a marketing tool.

Back