While we're all waiting for Sideshow...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Tim from Weta:

Thanks Everyone

Sorry, if some of you were hoping for something else this week. We did say there would be at least 8 new LOTR products this week. And I did suggest they would be something unexpected.

These are our 8 LOTR products for this week. They are certainly not the only LOTR products coming this month or this year. Every flowing river starts with a trickling stream !

As you have seen over the last couple of years, we are launching a range of different types of products, for different groups of collectors, with different budgets. Magnets are the most requested type of product in the Weta Cave. So we are launching this range in response to customer demand. Going forward you can expect us to continue launch a range of different items.

Are there more of our traditional polystone products coming ? Yes, of course ! And we will announce the name of our next LOTR environment in our next Weta newsletter

How many LOTR products are we launching this year ? Honestly, we don't know. We are a creative company and we have new ideas every day. But there will be well over 20 new LOTR products in 2012

Will 2012 be our biggest year yet ? We think so, but we'll let you be the judge after Comic Con

Things are just starting to warm up ....

Kind regards

Tim

To dismiss either Sideshow or Weta is pure fanboyism at its best. Both companies have contributed and made damn good lotr items. I love having items from both in my collection.

To dismiss either Sideshow or Weta is pure fanboyism at its best. Both companies have contributed and made damn good lotr items. I love having items from both in my collection.

:exactly: both companies have their strengths. Don't think either one has a weakness, yes some rotten eggs but nothing serious. :peace

Right both are very strong but like anyone have had items that didn't come out perfect.

Sorry but I enjoy my weta items more than my sideshow items. The environment line is what got me started..and I'll take those environments and the helms over my 1/6 faramir and gandalf any day. Yes I love my SS premium formats but to dismiss weta as garbage, considering they are the effects company for the series is ludicrous.

Where in my post that you actually quoted did I dismiss Weta as garbage? Im not a Weta hater, I quite like the company's offerings but have felt let down a bit of late. My post was saying that one company is branching out beyond into all sorts of niche areas while the other is focusing on the core collectible product. Do you think the cave visitors who clamored for magnets are actually reading this site? That's trinket stuff, not collectible. With all the mystery around the various Hobbit licenses it seems pretty clear which way companies are finding their niche. There seems to be no way that all of a sudden Weta will start producing Hobbit 1/6 scale statues and premium format figures, unless 1/6 is different from maquettes which really I can't remember all the differences anymore.

I completely disagree, the demand for what Weta is doing is there for all to see.... everything sells out quickly. I just saw someone mention that even the magnets are quickly selling out. Even the mini characters, while open editions, are selling out in batches so people are having to place back-orders and wait for the next shipments.

And i think Weta have the best chance of getting the 1/6 statue license. They could even have done quite a few already while they worked on the film just like they did for LOTR. Everyone knows how well they did last time when they sculpted the SSW range and i'd say that would sway it for licencers and the studio. Let Sideshow do the PF's and hell, one day maybe even some maquettes or dioramas.

I think both companies are behind the demand curve for Tolkien products, hence the successful sales. Also the ESs are way down and likely they are producing things in limited batches to minimize inventory. If the magnets are selling out that would be a surprise. I think things really starting ramping up about 3 years ago when the John Howe line was announced and we began to see talk of new environments. At the time Weta came out with a range of high end products, that I think its fair to say failed miserably. I am talking about the 1200 dollar Gandalf cloak and the life size gollum bronze and faux bronze and to some extent the Howe line maybe was a slower seller. And if you think about it those are the kinds of products you would expect out of an effects company that actually does the films, more prop replicas and high end offerings. Clearly Weta has adjusted their approach.

EDIT: I do like that No Admittance magnet though, perfect for your office door.

Last edited:
I think one thing that's also been focused on too much with Weta is their recent LOTR range.... Weta have been doing statues and busts of many of their movies since LOTR.... Kong, Narnia, and now Tintin, so they DO still do the 1/6 scale stuff to answer your other point cstojano.

Yeah i'm hoping for Barad-Dur too.

They've also just said that maybe something 'unexpected' might be coming, which of course has got everyone jumping wildly to conclusions about The Hobbit!

Barad-Dur is the one I'm hoping for as well

I think one thing that's also been focused on too much with Weta is their recent LOTR range.... Weta have been doing statues and busts of many of their movies since LOTR.... Kong, Narnia, and now Tintin, so they DO still do the 1/6 scale stuff to answer your other point cstojano.

Yes a good point. And when you put it that way the absence of 1/6 really stands out now for Wets doesn't it? Does SS actually have a 1/6 license for LOTR. This is where I get all confused with the lawyer stuff. Dios and maquettes are somehow different technically than the old SSW statues??? And I assume there is a separate license for articulated and non-articulated?

I think 1/6 and maquettes are the same licence and Sideshow just uses a different name for them.

BTW: They are listed as polystone statues on their website, so not sure where the maquette name comes from.

'Maquette' is mis-leading. A maquette is something used in film-making to prepare the look of something - the 4 SSW troll busts that were released were maquettes, or 'design maquettes' because Weta worked off those to get ideas for the design of them for the film.

So yeah, i think they're just 1/6 scale statues (although they are bigger than the previous SSW statues) but under a different name.

Got my red book magnet and its pretty darn cool. This is one strong magnet that won't be falling off your fridge if you wanted it to do that. Mine will be with my collection and looks great with it I must say. The metal Weta used tok to the process quite well and really reminds me of polystone.

Here are my Weta magnets:

7296527664_e87bb90fa2_b.jpg

7296526308_94a064240f_b.jpg

7296522146_83f96a3bdc_b.jpg

7296524834_e7e9b7be74_b.jpg

7296523698_5a61b6488e_b.jpg

Once they're back in stock I'll grab the Pony and Dragon one. Quality looks really nice on them...they look hefty.

They're really nice va. Thanks for sharing rogar. I think I might try to pick up those three at comic-con.

That's my plan - they should have some at SDCC and then no shipping charge.

I had to buy one before going out there to see if I would want buy more once out there. They're worth it IMO. Yeah, no shipping but there will be tax I believe.

Back