When was the SS/Weta LOTR Line Released???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember looking at the medallions thinking "Who wants those"???

I kinda still feel that way, Especially since it wasn't poplular enough to continue through ROTK. BUT I had made a serious error in overlooking one vital piece of information:

Free WitchKing Crown.
:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I remember looking at the medallions thinking "Who wants those"???

I kinda still feel that way, Especially since it wasn't poplular enough to continue through ROTK. BUT I had made a serious error in overlooking one vital piece of information:

Free WitchKing Crown.
:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I did not know you could receive a free witch king crown for being part of the Medallion programme :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 I assume you had too purchase all the medallions released too actually get the crown?

Yep, if you were registered on the medallion programme you recieved a free helm with every 4 medallions and as you say at the end of the progamme, a free Witchking Crown.

My predictions for the Hobbit line is that Smaug will be the Grail of the line???
Though maybe for The Hobbit 'unnamed sequel' film there will be a new Sauron the Necromancer sculpt??? who knows

Sauron still didn't have a physical form during his time as the Necromancer; he would still have been an evil spirit akin to his state during The Lord of the Rings, which, in the Jackson interpretation, would be the Great Eye. But they very well might change that during The Hobbit, though I really hope they don't give him any kind of physical form, as that would be TOTALLY off--the whole point is that he couldn't take on a physical form again until he got back the ring. Not only that, but he was considerably weaker at the time of The Hobbit. His strength hadn't grown to its height yet.

I'm thinking they could use the "Annatar" footage unused from ROTK, perhaps he tries to hide his identity and as he is defeated perhaps that dissolves into a "ghost" version of his Second Age Armoured figue, only to finally become the flaming eye as he flees the coucil and heads back towards Mordor.

At least, thats one way they could do it.

But I imagine one of the reasons the Annatar footage was dropped would be because it's inaccurate. He simply could not assume any kind of physical form without the ring; he was merely a spirit of malice, however powerful that spirit may have been. The eye would be as much visible entity as he could get.

I'm forever grateful they got rid of that scene with Sauron fighting Aragorn; yeah the concept is exciting, but it's so utterly beyond the books and canon that such a thing would have been the worst, most inconsistent change they could possibly have made, far worse that Arwen at Helm's Deep would have been.

... and ALMOST as bad as the Second To Last Alliance and Sam leaving/being sent away by Frodo.

:sick

True that. Sam's issues I didn't have as much problem with, but the Elves at Helm's Deep is just wrong in so many ways. It defeats the whole point of the Elves LEAVING Middle Earth--not coming back for a last hoorah and then all getting killed. If that many Elves had really been at Helm's Deep, the situation would not have been half as perilous, as they would have made a much greater stand than the movies depict. Instead they all get killed off just to prove how strong the Uruk-hai are. They should have been much stronger, as skilled at least as Legolas himself--some of them may even have been Noldor, which would have made them incredibly gifted warriors. But they all got cleaned up at the walls. Which is too bad, because that armor is some of the most glorious in the world, and Haldir is magnificent there. But they could have saved that armor and used it for the Wood Elves during the Battle of the Five armies. I can't wait to see what they use for that battle though.

Oh yeah, I would have left the theater in tears if Aragorn had fought Sauron.

"And it all started off so well.... !!!!!"

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

they could have saved that armor and used it for the Wood Elves during the Battle of the Five armies. I can't wait to see what they use for that battle though.

Not only that but if they really wanted to show some elves in battle, remember that after Sauron was destroyed an army from Lothlorien went to clear out Dol Goldur of orcs just to be sure. How they could have fit that in, who knows, but it could have been shown.

Also, where Helm's Deep is concerned, they nearly abandoned the Caves for the elves screen time. I really miss some of those scenes.

How are people who have a lot of the classic SSW statues feeling about the SSC PFs these days - keep the SSW *and* collect the PFs?
or sell the old SSW and go with only the PFs and hope this line takes off with e.g. a Witch King sometime soon?

How are people who have a lot of the classic SSW statues feeling about the SSC PFs these days - keep the SSW *and* collect the PFs?
or sell the old SSW and go with only the PFs and hope this line takes off with e.g. a Witch King sometime soon?

I'll keep both...I've been collecting the older weta line for awhile now and have most of the pieces. The Weta statues are excellent, for example the orc swordsman statue. This is an amazing statue and will stay in my collection even with the moria orc pf coming out...

I have most of the SS/WETA statues and all of the busts. I do not collectm the PF's. I do collect the dio's though. It is pretty much polystone only for me. I'm looking forward to see what The Hobbit brings.

I have plenty of SSW statues, busts, medallions,plaques and helms etc. and I'm not into collecting the PF:s.

First of all i'm not really into the mixed media idea, but I do like the Dios! they are awesome, the ones I have so far really is awesome!

But the core of my collection will allways be the SSW LOTR line! It got so much love in them, You can really feel the care and devotion that the people at WETA had when makin these!!

I keep the old, and buy the PF's too. Space is my major problem, so I'll have to find a solution for that.

I still fill the gaps in the SSW stuff, and I'm trying to get ALL of the new SS LOTR. I've missed the first few LSBs (Sauron and Morgul Lord now being the new "grails" or chase pieces).

It isn't easy to do this and I can't display them the way I would like to. And I also need a storage shed for the boxes.

I think the current lines are nicely different from the original SSW line. Its interesting that the Weta artists that worked on the movie themselves sculpted the SSW pieces. Having Sideshow's own artists dig into LOTR with their new lines (edit: no pun intended) is equally great. Its an interesting trade off, sometimes the new stuff has better likeness, while the originals sometimes have a different feel to them, that they were definately made while the films were "in progress" if that makes any sense.

Eventually I would like to display them mixed together in a chronological telling of the story. I'm not sure I will blend the PFs into this - they are more like Icons than the other pieces; each one a stand alone piece. I'm sure this may change, with some future pieces being able to "face off" with others but we'll see.

I have most of the SSW pieces and I've been getting the SS pieces as well. I got the SSW because they were designed by the Weta artists as the movies were being made and my passion for LOTR made me nearly blind to the costs. But I also have SS pieces -- a bit pickier in what I get because of space issues but I get what appeals to me. A few misses surely (the SSW line also has those), but their overall quality cannot be denied. And I also don't quite get the "SSW vs. SS is better - and vice versa" stand that some are taking. Apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned. Each line/company has their goods and bads. Would like to see the PF line become a bit more active, but I also understand the R&D that that must go into each intricate piece (full polystone statues are much easier to put together than mixed-media) so I can be patient. And my wallet is happy with it as well.

I have most of the SSW pieces and I've been getting the SS pieces as well. I got the SSW because they were designed by the Weta artists as the movies were being made and my passion for LOTR made me nearly blind to the costs. But I also have SS pieces -- a bit pickier in what I get because of space issues but I get what appeals to me. A few misses surely (the SSW line also has those), but their overall quality cannot be denied. And I also don't quite get the "SSW vs. SS is better - and vice versa" stand that some are taking. Apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned. Each line/company has their goods and bads. Would like to see the PF line become a bit more active, but I also understand the R&D that that must go into each intricate piece (full polystone statues are much easier to put together than mixed-media) so I can be patient. And my wallet is happy with it as well.

Totally agree with ya Rumi. I don't get whole deabate as each line has some real winners and some ones that you could say are real losers.

Back