What's your current "collecting state of mind"?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently focusing on Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men. I don't have a lot of money, so I can't really invest in anything more than that at the moment.

I'm very specific in the higher end market, although as much as most remain boxed up, I seem to have been a sucker in the past for buying Collector Editions of games with cheap figures or statues in them.

Both Sideshow Nathan Drake items were my first "more expensive items"... I paid a small fortune to pre-order the PFF from one of my national online stores, and did so over a year before actually getting it. (Even once USA started selling it, it was weeks before we got our stock).. But, I would have had to pay import taxes if I had bought it overseas, and it is easier dealing with the local guys if there was a problem (They still have 1 in stock I think, even now)... The downside of that was I missed the EX.. The 1:6 being cheaper and smaller to freight I bought the EX of from Sideshow.

I have now ordered John Matrix (Arnie) and have just had shipped Terminator - damaged vers at 1:6. How many more I will ever buy I don't know? I don't have a lot of room at home as I live in a company house, so I just don't have display room for a dozen PFFs.. even 1:6s would be a challenge.. I'd love to have gotten into OT Star Wars, but once you stop, when do you finish?.. (I've come so close to buying a Darth Vader many times)

The compulsiveness if you were an Iron Man collector... just how many of those suits have there been?... But even the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy or the Avengers. I think I'd just have to pick my favourite just to have the one.

For me, currently looking at collecting the Guardians of the Galaxy and HT Star Wars (the onslaught of releases is not going to be cheap :lol )

Cool topic.

I go back-n-forth on 1:6 scale figure genres. I was on a GI Joe, ninja, video game and superhero kick for a long time. Mostly Hot Toys and SSC. Then I was really into modern military figures from Dam and Soldier Story. 3 months ago I was fortunate to start working with Disney. So being the loyal employee that I am (hehe), my focus has been on Marvel and Star Wars. At least that's how I justify it with the wife.

"Honey, see our home and everything we own? We owe it to the entertainment industry. These figures in my collection and on display shows our gratitude..." LOL

I went a little nuts spending the past few months. Bought more 1/6 figures than I have in a long time. I'd usually get maybe 8-10 a year. In the past 3 months I've got 8 plus 2 more on preorder shipping in the next month or so. I'll cool down for now while we recover from my new purchases and Xmas. Hopefully recover in time to get the Han Solo/Chewie box set! Woowhoo!

Right now I'm sticking to 1/6 Marvel, primarily Avengers and GoTG for the moment, but I also dabble in some Star Wars and the occasional Sci Fi like Predators.

It just amazes me how a new product is shown and everybody is all "I'm buying it,", even though prices have more than doubled. Look at sideshows new Indy. $200+?? Wasn't the first one like $100? Granted people will say "it's not as nice", but believe me, if the first one was that nice back then, the price would still be $100. The economy is bad and of course only the rich can thrive, so another hobby crushed for me because it's all based on greed of these companies that make a huge profit margin already.

To be fair, I already got bored with the hobby - and I just barely started this year. I was waiting long to enter - and I did so with my very first figure, Caltek MOH Preacher (out of game love). Apart from the difficulty in building it, it was awesome, also bought him a 1/6 Asia Scale Store Diorama - and it's now permanently sitting on my desk.
Then I fell in love with a couple of images on BBCIN, so I bought the Dam Limited 75 Ranger - with Inflames Helgast in the same shipping, 'cause both from China and the price of gettin' both two was cheap, less than one HT release including shipping (and I loved the Killzone game!)

Then I started to figure out what I wanted from my collection, a general theme - Antiheroes and Villains that fascinated me - here come the last MIB Brother Production Collateral - blown away by the clothes and sculpt. (Not interested in statues, I need to pose my figures - and I like the different materials in 1/6 scale)

But still, I got bored - long story short, Dam Ranger and Inflames Helgast are still sitting MIB in their shipping box (I only opened them to check, everythin there) - not even opened them on Christmas Holiday. Collateral Vincent is still in his display case, I was enthusiast and got him a watch and a custom holster for the movie look - well, they're sitting on top of the clear box, did not take the time to put them on - what will change?

Maybe I'll need to finish them and to put them each one in a display case? Don't really know, what can make me feel the love and passion again? (I'm not even one year old in this hobby...)

The price hike thing is a blessing in disguise you know. :lol

Folks that previously bought up a storm because they could, or felt they had to 'keep up' with certain lines, now realize that having a focus means everything.

I've passed on most 1/6 items to date, because I either don't want them, or they don't impress me enough to want them (if the character's on my list).

Sticking to a budget on top of that is a good idea too, a great idea in fact. This has been my way since day dot, & not only do I enjoy what I have NOW, but whatever I get going forward means so much more when it's something I'm truly looking forward to. :duff

The price hike thing is a blessing in disguise you know. :lol

Folks that previously bought up a storm because they could, or felt they had to 'keep up' with certain lines, now realize that having a focus means everything.

I've passed on most 1/6 items to date, because I either don't want them, or they don't impress me enough to want them (if the character's on my list).

Sticking to a budget on top of that is a good idea too, a great idea in fact. This has been my way since day dot, & not only do I enjoy what I have NOW, but whatever I get going forward means so much more when it's something I'm truly looking forward to. :duff

Same here, I passed on most of the figures they announced this year.

I will (try) to get every Age of Ultron figure. And that will be the first and (probably) the last time I'll get every single figure from a specific line

I've collected all my life and I think I will always be collecting something. I have a very good paying job but these prices are out of hand and that is really what is going to slow me down. I built a new house last year with a beautiful display room. I have room for say 8 to 10 more PF's and I'm out of display space. I will never own 4 to 5 hundred dollar statues to leave in the box. So as of next year, if there is something I really want, something has to go. I've already thought about this. The 1st 4 or 5 PF's to sell are really easy. After that it will be a decision. When I put this hobby into perspective I could be paying for monthly payments on a vette and that has to stop!

My current state of mind is boredom.......always shuffling my collection because I get bored. I am older (47) and I think my interest in collecting in general is fading. I still have the initial excitement for certain things but nothing seems to last. I was excited for HT SW but losing steam partially the realism of dealing with SW fans again.... :lol

My current state of mind is boredom.......always shuffling my collection because I get bored. I am older (47) and I think my interest in collecting in general is fading. I still have the initial excitement for certain things but nothing seems to last. I was excited for HT SW but losing steam partially the realism of dealing with SW fans again.... :lol

hope you get more spice in your life that can replace toy collecting. how bout track racing?

I'm currently focusing on Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men. I don't have a lot of money, so I can't really invest in anything more than that at the moment.

I take it back, I'm even poorer than I thought. :p

I had to drop the Guardians figures I had on order, so I'm just sticking with Iron Man and X-Men for now. I also have a few Star Wars statues, but I've been focusing solely on the Jedi and General Grievous.

State of mind, Hmm...I think mine's always the same.. Day dreaming about a bigger house.

Favorite characters only (no buying something for a "coolness" factor or to complete a team or line), one version per character. Making a priority list helps me, too. Ranking licenses/potential licenses and character interests.

I've been collecting for almost 10 years. I went through ML, DCUC,MOTUC,various Voltron items, TFs and comics. I caught the HT bug and sold my collection to fund 1/6 stuff. I've always been a superhero guy so the ubiquitous IM/Avengers/Batman stuff appeals to me the most. Space is also an issue for me so I may have to start rotating as I counted 34 HT in my collection as of this morning.

My purchasing tends to get out of control when I'm single. When I have a girlfriend, there are more important things in my life. When I'm alone, I think I can fill that void with plastic. It never really works.

I still LOVE the hobby though, but I've had a lot of discipline lately not only because of money and space, but I'm at an age where I look at stuff, no matter how cool, and think "Dude...I don't NEED that."

Completism is a sickness and it's something I'm really glad I got out of my system. God the money I wasted in the mid-late 90s and early 2000s...and I've eventually gotten rid of most of that stuff.

Buy what you LOVE.

For me, it's properties that I loved as a kid. It's almost ALL nostaligia. The ability to buy updated amazing versions of the toys I WISHED we had as kids. I love G1 TFs...but they're bricks and even as a kid I knew that. MP Transformers are like a gift from the heavens to my 9 year old self.

I mostly collect MP Transformers, really good updated GI Joe figures (not the Sideshow stuff), selected Star Wars Black stuff, RoboCop/ED 209 and any amazing representations of MY Batman, like 1989 Keaton or Frank Miller DKR stuff. I loved the Nolan movies, but have zero nostaligic attachment to it, so I don't buy it. Also buy any and all AKIRA stuff cause that cartoon changed my life! The only toys I have o display that aren't directly related to my childhood is Cowboy Bebop cause it's just so freaking cool.

I also prefer 6-7 inch action figures. I just love the scale and love being able to mess around with them in my hands as opposed to the delicacy of the high end 1/6th stuff. The only Hot Toys I own are 89 Batman and the Batmobile. Battle Damaged RoboCop is realllllly testing my resolve though...it's a work of art. But I'd trulty prefer a NECA to go with my NECA ED-209. I really do think 1/12th is the perfect scale, but hey, just my opinion.

This crap is getting expensive man. I gotta put my foot down. I'd love to have a YF-19 from Macross Plus but the new one coming out is like $250 and again, it's just too BIG. If there was one half the size and half the price, I'd pre-order in a heartbeat.

I'm trying to show restraint. I also try to keep my display as "clean" as possible without a giant jumble of figures crammed onto shelves. Just looks messy and ridiculous and quite a turn-off if I'm lucky enough to get a girl back here and she sees this guy's room and I'm pushing 40 but it looks like a 10 year old lives here.

I try to remember my new motto..."BUY WHAT YOU LIKE." Freeing myself from buying things I was getting out of some weird sense of "obligation" or "completing a line" by buying toys I didn't even want has really changed my whole perspective.

Buy what you like.

I'm in a pretty big 1/6 mood right now myself. I've got various figures that I'm either in the process of modding or want to fix up in the future, I'm attempting my own custom figure from scratch, and trying to sculpt new heads for other figures as well.

As far as new figures though, I've only actually got one on order right now and that's the Capaldi Doctor. There are others I'm considering getting, like the Firefly Mal, Hoth Han, TOD Indy, or the new Mark III Iron Man, but nothing so far has really grabbed my attention lately as an absolute must-have.

I admit there are times when I stop and think "wow, this is really silly all the time and attention I'm spending on a bunch of 12 inch dolls", but then I snap out of it and remember how incredibly damn cool these things can look when they're just right. And then I also think of all the OTHER ridiculous hobbies out there that people indulge in (fishing, birdwatching, golfing, genealogy, candle making, RC plane flying... not to mention all the guys I know who just spend all their free time playing videogames...) and then I don't feel so bad. :D

All your examples of bad hobbies see pretty damn fun to me except the candle making. I'm afraid of burning the house down.
I'm in a pretty big 1/6 mood right now myself. I've got various figures that I'm either in the process of modding or want to fix up in the future, I'm attempting my own custom figure from scratch, and trying to sculpt new heads for other figures as well.

As far as new figures though, I've only actually got one on order right now and that's the Capaldi Doctor. There are others I'm considering getting, like the Firefly Mal, Hoth Han, TOD Indy, or the new Mark III Iron Man, but nothing so far has really grabbed my attention lately as an absolute must-have.

I admit there are times when I stop and think "wow, this is really silly all the time and attention I'm spending on a bunch of 12 inch dolls", but then I snap out of it and remember how incredibly damn cool these things can look when they're just right. And then I also think of all the OTHER ridiculous hobbies out there that people indulge in (fishing, birdwatching, golfing, genealogy, candle making, RC plane flying... not to mention all the guys I know who just spend all their free time playing videogames...) and then I don't feel so bad. :D

Back