What do the people you date think about your collection?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwitchStance

Super Freak
Reaction score
So a bit of background, my previous relationship lasted 4 years, however I had to end things. Now I'm back in the dating scene.

Since then I have had girls over at my place, and they have seen my Hot Toys collection, surprisingly they all didn't think negatively about the hobby. They always ask about them and I always refer to them as collectibles, not toys.

Anyways, I just wanted to see what reactions you have received regarding your collection, as society has labelled action figures and statues as childish and immature.

I strictly collect statues and only had a few while I was dating. Most of my collection was built after I got married so while I was dating I never had a ton of pieces around my crib. Most of the ladies didn't mention anything either way because of that. Also, if any women dated me long enough, my love of comics and pop culture became easy to see. I'm pretty lucky because my wife doesn't really have an issue with my collection. She doesn't share my excitement but doesn't give me a hard time either. It helps that I have 2 boys (4 & 6) that love comics too. My wife always smiles whenever I open a new statue in front of them. The boys are just as excited as I am when a new piece comes in. Her only real complaint is how much I'm on the forum. :lol

I always had the mind set that a woman I was dating had to be able to fit into my life. If a woman can't respect you for who you are or what you like...she isn't worth keeping around. We all have hobbies and interests. The person you are dating shouldn't be giving you a hard time about it. If she does, kick her to the curb. The edition size on women is HUGE! :lol

Most handle it well. Only one didn't handle it the way one should, which was ironic, because she too had her own personal collection... and it was, get ready for it, Nascar paraphernalia. I hit it off with this one girl for a while who was in love with my stuff. She said it was the coolest room she had ever walked into. I try and keep my collection to one room, but now that's even proving difficult. I need to sell some stuff.

Anyway, like Flosi had said, it shouldn't matter what others think. If a girl likes you, she can separate you from your collection. If someone can't see past that, it's a red enough flag to stay clear of that individual. In which case, they are doing you a tremendous favour. It's trivial crap in the end. Women have theirs. It's a sad day when someone has to decide your worth based on your collection.

I was called a nerd for my collection AND my periodic table of the elements framed poster in my living room (I'm a Chemistry major) so needless to say I broke it off with her. She didn't only say it once but numerous times and was degrading about it.

Oh well, my items are worth more to me anyway. Lol.

And also, Eli hit the nail on the head.

Most handle it well. Only one didn't handle it the way one should, which was ironic, because she too had her own personal collection... and it was, get ready for it, Nascar paraphernalia. I hit it off with this one girl for a while who was in love with my stuff. She said it was the coolest room she had ever walked into. I try and keep my collection to one room, but now that's even proving difficult. I need to sell some stuff.

Anyway, like Flosi had said, it shouldn't matter what others think. If a girl likes you, she can separate you from your collection. If someone can't see past that, it's a red enough flag to stay clear of that individual. In which case, they are doing you a tremendous favour. It's trivial crap in the end. Women have theirs. It's a sad day when someone has to decide your worth based on your collection.

STFU, E... wait, that was actually pretty good! :goodpost: :clap

My late brother and his kids thought it was cool, but other than that, everyone thinks it's stupid and a waste of money. I could give a **** though.

I'm sure most think it is incredibly dorky and weird for an adult. But they don't tell me that, so I maintain the illusion that it isn't pretty well.

I get told it's a waste of money. What people don't understand is that it's a harmless hobby. Most people my age (I've met) spend their money on alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, etc. Just because I don't follow the crowd and choose to spend my money on figures I'm a 'nerd'. Ah well I don't care, I enjoy my hobby and that's all that matters.

I don't care what people think and my hobbies are what make me happy. However I like having women in my life.
All of my collectibles are in one room, I don't want it to take over my place .. Moderation I guess, and having other hobbies to offset the "geekiness".

I remember a tv show that had the infamous Sean Long on it. It was about obsessions .. To each to their own, but he had quite a collection.

go for the geeky girls. go for the nerdy girls and you wont ever have a problem.

why bother with some girl you met at a bar or a club or something, best place to talk to girls are conventions or comic stores or game places etc.
(Or go for the alternative/goth chicks)

problem solved.

well obviously they don't want the other callgirls to laugh behind their backs :lol:lol

I can tell what kind of a girl she is by the way she thinks and reacts to my collection. This one girl never said anything about it, probably trying not to upset me despite clearly being objected to the notion of a grown man buying toys for himself. There was this one nasty witch I used to date in college who was talking behind my back that I collect toys, painting me as an immature idiot who makes gunfire sounds with my military dolls, it went so bad that it cost me some academic opportunities. Not that she's wrong about that immature idiot part, but I DON'T play with my toys, okay? Good God, I'm glad that's behind me.

Strangely, I never had any problems with people I date with. The one I'm currently in a relationship with is actually happy to see me buying something for myself no matter what it is.

Ps. I'm not a cheap bastard :lol, I just don't buy stuff

Back