WGP's Classic Star Trek: Sex-You-up Kirk pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WGP's Classic Star Trek (being cast now)

That would be a huge overhaul plus it would take a 25" square diorama the price of each piece would be up their most of which would need to be like it really was a paste job with cardboard and plastic dials lol.

plastic chairs and parts of bridege,carpet etc if wgp did this it would be highly limited edition of less than 15 since we need 16 votes to even think about and very few voted for kirks chair

What could work is to make it like a puzzle piece you would put together.
like uhura's area,kirks chair and floor below it etc.

Can I just say, that's how I always believed a bridge diorama should be offered - modular. It would be "more affordable" for collectors, since they could add one a piece at a time. The natural jumping off point would be Kirk's command chair. Then after everyone got one of those who wanted one, a raised dais (as a separate piece) and the helm console with chairs. If, for whatever reason, someone wanted just the helm, they could opt for that or those with the command chair could add on and have the center of the bridge. My dream would also include bridge stations specific to each character: Spock's science station with chair, Uhura's communications station with chair, Turbolift door's for Rand maybe (she doesn't really have anything else to do with her), Scotty's engineering station with chair. Design them so they actually connect to each other so that the person who gets them all could actually build the back wall of the bridge. Then release a sturdy section of the bridge deck that allows for the bridge stations and turbolift doors to "plug into", that is elevated with steps leading down toward the center where Kirk's chair and the helm are, and you basically have the back half of the bridge as a display!

It's no so far-fetched as it might sound. Art Asylum started to do this very concept with their "Enterprise" line of 6" figures. The idea was to release highly detailed bridge modules with sound (I would have preferred lights, but you take what you get) that could be connected into a bridge diorama. They released Archer's command chair and Reed's weapon's station as wave one. Unfortunately, the show was tanking and the whole line was scrapped before they got too far along. T'Pol's science station was released in very small numbers and is now a sought-after collectible that fetches a pretty decent price, and Mayweather's helm never saw the light of day. They released subsequent captains like Kirk, Pike, and Picard with command chairs (they even went back and redid Kirk's chair with sound for a "Tribbles release). As they moved into DS9, they were going to do Sisko with Defiant command chair, but they ditched the chair and released him as a stand-alone figure.

I think there is a market for this, you just have to be clever in approach and design.

I too believe this could work it just might have to wait until after the heads and costumes are made. the sketch done on grid paper then section off pieces. made from styrafoam, foamcore board and plastic parts. fiber optics for lights might be tricky.

Im booked so I cant do it. plus i can't make the chairs that migh have to be seans job. but i could lay down a concrete type stuff to make the bases solid and cover floor with felt/flannel in color of floor. chairs would need a screw in them to allow swivel action. i have done dio's a long time ago and its a pain.

am i right that spocks station right next to uhura's? if so Id consider that one piece. sulu and checkof's station would be two pieces chairs and comand center with base. kirk 's station same thing base one piece and chair another.
sliding door would need to be cylindrical in construction and whoever has the spot behind uhura would be a larger piece to hide the cylinder shaped door, and the other side.

So off hand base would be divided into 6-8 pieces to be baught seperatly with chairs and comand center the molded pieces as well as panels that sit on cardboard/foamcore pieces.

Makes perfect sense to me that this would wait until after heads and costumes are complete. Honestly, why would you need this until after you have a complete bridge crew to man it? Even the folks who are going a different route than WGP for the characters don't have a complete set of the core characters yet (unless you count the Playmates offerings, in which case you're still shy Chapel). The reason I throw this out there now is to get the wheels turning for later. It's an ambitious project, it'll take some planning and allocation of time, resources, and talent.

The good news is, those bridge stations are pretty much cookie-cutter copies of each other! You could very much take an assembly-line approach to them in order to increase efficiency. Once patterns were made, they could be reused over and over. Spock's science station is the most specialized, he has a "hooded" viewer, a mini-viewscreen, and a psychedelic, round black and white swirly "monitor" incorporated into his station (hard to describe). Uhura's station, to the right of Spock's, is a little specialized maybe? Perhaps a few extra twiddly bits and a place for data 'tapes' to be inserted? The rest, I think, are pretty generic, it's mainly the graphics on the panels and screens that differentiate them.

As for the turbolift, you raise a point I hadn't thought of before: do we need a turbo lift itself, or would the doors suffice? I had in my mind they they would simply be doors, a solid, non-operational unit. For all the extra hassle, time, and expense, I can't imagine that I'd need to display anyone going on or coming off from the turbo lift (hell a separate turbo lift would make a better display option than one that was actually integrated). Anyone feel another way about that?

In addition to Spock and Uhura's station and the turbolift doors, I think Scotty's engineering console would be in order. It's where Mr. Scott always parked his caboose when he was on the bridge and when he wasn't "minding the store" for Kirk in the Command chair. If you were standing on the bridge facing the turbolift, Scotty's station would be to the immediate right of the doors. There's also a generic station on the opposite side of the bridge that didn't belong to anyone in particular; it's to the immediate left of Spock's science station. It doesn't have any nostalgic resonance, but for the sake of symmetry, I think it should be done, because, along with the other pieces mentioned, it would make the back half of the bridge complete and, along with the deck flooring, Kirk's chair, and the helm/navigation console, it would make a killer display!

While the environments would be cool WGP should have someone else work on them so that Sean and Groovy can focus on head sculpts and uniform for the other series as well as alien species. I've noticed several folks on the board who do highly detailed custom environments. I'm sure someone could be found who would be able to do short runs. I like the idea of having each of them wired and maybe having a plug-in usb port for a jump drive that could store animations and sound effects.

Definantly if rick thinks its within are capability i'll ask right now we are swamped. Im waiting for fabric right now and i set chapel aside until a head can be made all i need to do is replace collar.

sean is super buisy with sculpts and poor rick is trying to keep everyone focused. Im in college so it's like doing a fulltime job and this. So just bear with us and if it's something rick wants to do it might be fun having seperat pieces that can cometoghther to make one set.

As far as turbo lift i was thinking a sheet of tin that could turnabove by hand to show open and shut a big pvc pipe could act as the turbolift and cut out the part to make the door and use tin/sheet metal to spin somehow to make it to appear as a real live lift.

Last edited:

I definitely believe Sean and Groovy should stay on task with their respective projects. This is a separate undertaking that could be folded in under the WGP Trek umbrella, but undertaken by different folks, which is why I mentioned bringing in new talent. I confess to being old-fashioned and not knowing much about 3-D modeling with programs like zbrush? It seems to me that you could approach this like creating a custom model kit: create the pieces, assemble, wire it up, paint it and viola! I don't have the time to do all that, so having it offered as a finished piece would be desirable. Like I said, the bridge consoles are almost identical, they are very modular by nature. I like the jump drive idea for animations and sound, that would add a dynamic level that has never been seen in this scale for Trek.

The turbolift: I could honestly go either way on that. Having opening doors with a turbolift car "reveal" would be awesome, but static doors would probably work just as well for me. It comes down to the majority consensus and if there's someone (or several people) willing to take on this project. :dunno

I too am glad that you are looking to compliment nanjin's trek set, although I think you'll be hard pressed to beat its accuracy. I know the lengthes he went to ensure it to be as affordable and accurate as possible. Then again, you can't really compete in uniform prices because he didn't sell just uniforms [wish he did]

I do find myself wondering why the males are waiting on their uniforms with Kirk, Sulu and Scotty ready for action and only, sometimes seen, Rand manning the female status?

I look forward to seeing what price you guys finally decide on though the "glitter" pants does disturb me a bit.

I think I asked earlier about this but don't recall getting an actual answer. Will there be any uniforms with TOS emblems from other ships?
tos-emblems.jpg

Hey Ironman - digging your new pic - a cyborg ape?

Thanks Sean.
I figured if Judgement Day came and apes rose to power, there might be a random terminator looking to "blend" in.

ha ha! here's hoping :)

Then again, maybe he's the captain of the USS Simian and thats what he looks like after the battle with another starship.

I do find myself wondering why the males are waiting on their uniforms with Kirk, Sulu and Scotty ready for action and only, sometimes seen, Rand manning the female status?

I'm not sure I entirely understand this question. I thought groovy said that after materials are received, these uniforms would be constructed. That will take some time. I think once prototypes are complete, we will see pictures then and pricing can be determined. Am I missing something?

I look forward to seeing what price you guys finally decide on though the "glitter" pants does disturb me a bit.

Groovy stated that pants will be done in basic black and "glitter" for those looking for outfits made of material as close to original source material as possible. You can choose which type you want to order. No need to feel disturbed! :clap

I think I asked earlier about this but don't recall getting an actual answer. Will there be any uniforms with TOS emblems from other ships?
tos-emblems.jpg

I don't remember you asking about this (?), but that would certainly be cool, and I'd be in for this as well if we also, say, got a Matt Decker head at some point! :yess: For now, I think these folks are mainly focusing on getting to the basic, core crew, and rightly so! Imma flip my lid when we see Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Chapel, Chekov!!! :monkey1

I too am glad that you are looking to compliment nanjin's trek set, although I think you'll be hard pressed to beat its accuracy. I know the lengthes he went to ensure it to be as affordable and accurate as possible. Then again, you can't really compete in uniform prices because he didn't sell just uniforms [wish he did]

Actually, Nanjin did sell sets. I didn't really care much for the DML bodies he was offering or the head sculpts, to be honest, so I got the uniform sets, originally to go with SF Metropolis (I think) sculpts, but since Kirk never materialized, I went with Spenser's sculpts.

1- I'm not sure I entirely understand this question. I thought groovy said that after materials are received, these uniforms would be constructed. That will take some time. I think once prototypes are complete, we will see pictures then and pricing can be determined. Am I missing something?

2- Groovy stated that pants will be done in basic black and "glitter" for those looking for outfits made of material as close to original source material as possible. You can choose which type you want to order. No need to feel disturbed! :clap

3-I don't remember you asking about this (?), but that would certainly be cool, and I'd be in for this as well if we also, say, got a Matt Decker head at some point! :yess: For now, I think these folks are mainly focusing on getting to the basic, core crew, and rightly so! Imma flip my lid when we see Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Chapel, Chekov!!! :monkey1

1- To quote groovy: "Right now we are testing fabrics for female figure Yeoman Rand before We do male figures."

2- She also said she be making about 20 out of the black lurex and the rest sounded likely they'd be glittery.

3- Decker was exactly who I thought of first.

Actually, Nanjin did sell sets. I didn't really care much for the DML bodies he was offering or the head sculpts, to be honest, so I got the uniform sets, originally to go with SF Metropolis (I think) sculpts, but since Kirk never materialized, I went with Spenser's sculpts.

I didn't recall him selling loose uniforms. Can't imagine I wouldn't have bought some.
Don't know what happened with SFM selling their Trek sculpts. I'll have to get ahold of them again and ask.

1- To quote groovy: "Right now we are testing fabrics for female figure Yeoman Rand before We do male figures."

2- She also said she be making about 20 out of the black lurex and the rest sounded likely they'd be glittery.

3- Decker was exactly who I thought of first.

I didn't recall him selling loose uniforms. Can't imagine I wouldn't have bought some.
Don't know what happened with SFM selling their Trek sculpts. I'll have to get ahold of them again and ask.

1. Oh, interesting point! Maybe groovy is seeing which material is best suited for Rand to see which would also work best for the tunics? Rand's is the more complicated uniform, so it makes sense to find one that will work for her, then go with the same material for the gents. After all, the point of uniforms is that they are uniform! :wink1:

2. Nooo, black Lurex and basic black. The glittery was an option if someone wanted the lurex look, but there was no more lurex material. At this point, I have this fascination with seeing how the lurex pans out...

3. Decker, yes! You and me both, my friend!

tos-emblems.jpg

The reason the males on hold is a test of skill, Since im new they want to see if i can harness the dificulty of rand before the males, The males are super easy and can be done realativly fast. I desided to keep the inset under the arms of the males. Another reason im not doing the males right now is fabric choices are still up for debate.

As for the lurex pants this will be by demand only since i dont have much of it so the pants will be done with fabric I suggested. all of this stuff needs final approval before i recieve it. the limited quality was the 20 count because thats the limit the fabric will allow.

so please be patient if we dont get the color right we will never here the end of it.

as for the males verses females Rand, Uhura and Chapel will be made from one fabric type for body hugging quality. the males will have a more apperance quality to their tunics. the pants and I quote will be made in limited quality in lurex and more produced in flat black pant weight for 1/6th scale. finding a happy ballance between shirt and pant is important to me for you the customer.

Last edited:

Allow me to provide a bit of trivia on the uniform shirts.The original shirts were made of velour(see"The Making of Star Trek", by Steven Whitfield and Roddenberry), because"it looked good on camera".Unfortunately, it also shrank every time it was washed, meaning that new shirts were required roughly every 2 weeks. I believe the fabric was replaced for the 3rd season, but I couldn't tell you with what...
Spenser's wrap tunic is very definitely green(a bright olive).The blue is a very good match for the original shirts I've seen(Trek Exhibit, Air&Space Museum, 1993)....
Sometimes you just gotta let the gloat out...PS

I got some info on this recently, but this is not the appropriate place to post it. When I get some time I'll pull up the old SFM thread and post it there. Anxious to see how these uniforms turn out.

Back