Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you love Attakus and sware by them but I know for a fact you would not have paid retail for them so price is a factor too...If by some miracle this goes down 50% I bet you jump on it

i paid well above retail for some attakus pieces like the vader 1 and stormtrooper, and well below retail for the other pieces like the clonetroopers. If BD price has a 50% haircut, i might consider it.

As stated before, i go by my own price to value ratio. I will pay $1000+ for statues deemed worth the price like optimus prime/sano alien, but wont pay even $100 for statues i feel do not, like the new weta fellowship dios.

It's really not that difficult to understand. And you are obviously free to make your own decisions.

Last edited:
Valuation is tough. I am on my way to knocking out the expensive pieces that I covet the most - bronzes. People would think I am nuts for buying bronzes. I think I am nuts. But there is just something about them that I can't explain. Are they worth 4k+? Who knows. But when a bronze gandalf sells for 18k with the only one on the market being asked at 40k, well, this puts BD in perspective a bit. Still not saying its worth 700 though. Oddly I have considered selling the new SS maquettes and using points to complete my Fellowship with the Weta dios instead. Something about the multiple scenes used bothers me about the maquettes (which I agree are overpriced by a lot).

Last edited:
All collecting is about personal choice and how much you are willing to pay for something. The price is out there and for those who want it, they will pay it. It in no way reflects badly on Weta as a company as from what has happened so far has been a positive response from them to make a large, detailed piece in a limited edition size that from initial reports from those who have actually seen it, is in line cost wise for such pieces.

All collecting is about personal choice and how much you are willing to pay for something. The price is out there and for those who want it, they will pay it. It in no way reflects badly on Weta as a company as from what has happened so far has been a positive response from them to make a large, detailed piece in a limited edition size that from initial reports from those who have actually seen it, is in line cost wise for such pieces.

Ah but one could argue that those who have already seen it are diehards manic collectors brave enough to face the crowds and quick enough to score SDCC tickets ;)

And I am registered with them now and plan to make my way back to comic-con this year.

Ah but one could argue that those who have already seen it are diehards manic collectors brave enough to face the crowds and quick enough to score SDCC tickets ;)

And I am registered with them now and plan to make my way back to comic-con this year.

I look forward to your conversion to 'cstjano the Just and Bedazzled' :lol

I would love to go there myself sometime so I hope you take lots of pics and lots of notes (it's a requirement :lecture )

:wink1:

I like this top of Baradur Tower that came with this watch...nice detailed piece it looks like

The DM version could be painted to look darker and better in order to save money...I remember seeing a few repainted pieces...just a suggestion

IMG_0846.jpg

My favorite depiction of Barad-Dur by Ted Nasmith...The eye is in a window facing West which is what I would have prefered in the film and is what I always imagined it would be from reading the books...Although I still like the Jackson version

Last edited:
Cool picture, Adolfo. Looks pretty menacing. Really like how Jackson did it, too, but this is a solid interpretation. I really would like a good representation of 'the Eye' and am now thinking it would be neat if they eventually make a Palantir with Sauron's eye in full blaze. If they did it right, it could be pretty cool though I'm guessing it's unlikely.

3 different Eyes of Sauron on Ebay...1st one is a 1 inch button, 2nd are 1 inch earrings and 3rd are 24mm taxidermy eyes...not bad and not badly priced too I think

Last edited:
Funny, was googling and it took me here. My god what an epic model seeing the photos in post #201. It makes me all giddy. Wish I had the space for it. :(

Barad Dur and Dark rider or mordor are coming up almost at the same time next year. They are both around 700-800$ and its a lot of money for my wallet :slap

I think im going to choose one and pick the other one later in 2013. Which one guys would you choose getting first?

Back