Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunny -yes, you can be a fan of both. I don't get picking a side but folks have their reasons. Like I said I think it's silly but to each his/her own.

Boromir - Don't take that for the # sold. They don't start at 1 and go from there.

I think it will take looooooooong time to sell-out.
My Rivendell shipping box is numbered 475/600 so after all the time since it has been released maybe around 500 or less were sold.

Is Grond the next environment Weta is working on or just guessing?

It's a running request that has been more than hinted at from Dave Tremont. The 'enviro' tag is one I added a long time ago given the size of this actual weapon as I felt it fitted in with this line better. :wink1:

Please let it be Minas Tireth.

I Just ordered this. Didn't get the newsletter though I subscribed to it.

Glad it hasn't sold out or I would have missed this :)

I want Minas Torith next. That was what I was pushing for to Weta at SDCC. :)

Funnily, I also expressed some thoughts about the enviro line future. I (and a few others with me) conceded that BD was exceptional (as well as Isengard/Orthanc), but that we would really prefer to see something that hasn't been done before.

Although BD, Orthanc, Minas Tirith, etc. have been getting the most votes in the S&F poll, many (most?) of those voting for them are newer collectors who did not have the first iteration and wanted a second chance to get them in their collections without having to pay inflated e-bay prices. And some pieces have gotten high votes because they were made but unreleased and some folks just can't seem to let go of "what might have been".

It's time to move on. Let's start looking toward the The Hobbit and focus on enviros that not only were in LOTR but also evokes the locations of the new trilogy?

I want to see things that haven't been done before at all, but I desire more to get a Minas Tirith/Minas Morgul in a larger size made by Weta. I'd vote if I could on BD because it hadn't been done by Weta. As nice as the DM one is we saw why we want Weta on the case, and the same I think would be said for Minas Tirith.

So I disagree about moving on. People that have say the DM version (I do) of Minas Tirith can skip a Weta version of that size. That allows fans that don't want that version to skip it and folks who want that version to get it. I have no doubts we will see enviros that are more attached to the hobbit.

Bring on The Hobbit enviros...I like the sound of that.

Honestly I used to see a lot more SS vs Weta arguing but I don't get that sense anymore. I think some love both companies and some hate both companies (or criticize them in a blanket fashion) and most just sort of exist and comment + or - as the individual case entails. When I really got into this I know I felt better about buying Weta products because it felt a bit more honest and pure to me, like SS was really the big commercial enterprise and Weta the small upstart. I think that line has blurred a bit more of late.

I think the green dragon, as conceptualized by someone on the flame forum would be a logical next piece...tie in both lotr and the hobbit. Would be cheaper than mt by far.

I think the green dragon, as conceptualized by someone on the flame forum would be a logical next piece...tie in both lotr and the hobbit. Would be cheaper than mt by far.

Green Dragon if done like Prancing Pony L/E 500 for 199 would be totally acceptable...

Personally I'm hoping for Minas Tirith next, but there are still quite a few other options. A good sized Minas Morgul?, Cihrith Ungol, The Black Gates, Osgiliath or the Grey Havens (not sure how they would pull these off) Mt Doom or at least the Crack of Doom envio

no i am not a fan of weta.

:slap

I don't get this 'i'm not a fan of company x' crap.

I'm a fan of LOTR, The Hobbit, and all things Middle-Earth. If someone makes a collectible that i like, i will buy it if i can.

People like you think too deeply about collecting.... it's fun, a hobby. No need to over-think it.

Oh dear, if you're not a fan of Weta, then you're going to hate The Hobbit. Weta's influence is all over it! And LOTR for that matter. Oh dear!

.......do you like Star Wars? :lol

I'm hoping for a small environment next, give us some breathing space.
I think the Green Dragon with the mill and bridge would be perfect, it has ties to both LOTR and Hobbit and could even be the first official 'Hobbit' environment. I think this has a good chance of being done soon judging from various comments on the Weta-loving forum.

After that? I'm happy with my Minas Tirith from DM but if Weta do one in a similar size, even though it would cost more than the DM one did, i'd probably replace it with the Weta version just so i have all-Weta environments. And i know the quality would be good.

BUT i really want a bigger Minas Morgul - not massive and expensive.... the same size as any Weta Minas Tirith would be.

After that, Black Gates....

I dont' get the sense from that mock up that a GD + Mill would fall into the category of small and cheap to give a breather. As I recall that fan made mock up that looks like a 300 dollar environment.

I dont' get the sense from that mock up that a GD + Mill would fall into the category of small and cheap to give a breather. As I recall that fan made mock up that looks like a 300 dollar environment.

The buildings don't have to be large - Bucklebury Ferry and the Parancing Pony, even Bag End really, were small, scaled down environments. I can see this being the same base size as, say, the new Orthanc. Or the Argonath..... or Bag End?

I'm a fan of LOTR, The Hobbit, and all things Middle-Earth. If someone makes a collectible that i like, i will buy it if i can.

People like you think too deeply about collecting.... it's fun, a hobby. No need to over-think it.

Oh dear, if you're not a fan of Weta, then you're going to hate The Hobbit. Weta's influence is all over it! And LOTR for that matter. Oh dear!

geez is this really necessary, i was just answering the question you asked... :cuckoo:

yes i like starwars.

One thing I dont get is the change in strategy from that used on Orthanc and Rivendell - a limited numbered series and then an open edition thereafter.

My personal belief to why they made Open Editions of Bag End, Rivendell and Orthanc is that those places are going to be seen in the Hobbit movies and should/have to be available to buy for new fans once the movies hit theaters. Barad-dûr, like The Argonath and Prancing Pony were made as limited editions since the are only present in the LOTR movies and I strongly believe that if/once we see Zirak-zigil, the Moria Cemetary and perhaps even the Hobbiton Factory released, along with any other new future LOTR-only environments like Minas Tirith (unless they managed to put it somewhere in the Hobbit movies as well) and Minas Morgul, those will also be limited editions. Perhaps it's a licensing thing?

People like you think too deeply about collecting.... it's fun, a hobby. No need to over-think it

NO! It's a disease. It affects us ALL :thud: It causes irrational thinking and false justifications of cost / quality / worth / etc that makes you want to defend/ attack/ love / hate for no reason. It slowly takes over and before you know it you begin to fade and become a Wraith. Just an entity typing weird stuff on strange Forums haunted by fellow victims! :lecture

:lol

Last edited:
Back