WATCHMEN TV Series in the works at HBO.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it to be very reminiscent of Walking Dead in presentation which really rubbed me the wrong way.

Over all.....one episode deep. I'm not optimistic but I'm doing my best to remain objective.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

While I like how its going so far I kept thinking this could be script remnants from that d&d civil war show they aren?t making. Although I?m not sure what evidence besides being an hbo project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes...

Not getting off to a good start would be putting it mildly.

I feel like I just watched some propaganda piece for "woke" culture.

I can see why it's getting good critic reviews though, this is the kinda **** they just eat up these days.

100% spot on. I pretty much discount "critic" reviews nowadays and read fan reviews, which are Far more accurate IMO.

And yes, the premier episode was trash. Doubt I will watch any more of the show :(

Well this is just about as expected. A mention of Dr. Manhattan here and there, a copy of Under the Hood, some Nite Owl tech scattered about, rorschach masked KKK (who idolize him and Nixon because reasons?) and throw it into a show that had nothing to do with the original before all these references.

A cool scene with Tim Blake Nelson's character and Jeremy Irons playing an excellent Ozymandias (presumably), but outside of that, not much to see here. I'll probably let it waste my time with a couple more episodes before dumping it.

Well this is just about as expected. A mention of Dr. Manhattan here and there, a copy of Under the Hood, some Nite Owl tech scattered about, rorschach masked KKK (who idolize him and Nixon because reasons?) and throw it into a show that had nothing to do with the original before all these references.

A cool scene with Tim Blake Nelson's character and Jeremy Irons playing an excellent Ozymandias (presumably), but outside of that, not much to see here. I'll probably let it waste my time with a couple more episodes before dumping it.
This.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Was reading an interview with Tim Blake Nelson that said episode 5 will be all about his character Looking Glass. I'll hang in for that because he's the most interesting character outside of Ozymandias at the moment. If they can't stick that landing though I'm definitely out.

Agree that the Looking Glass character is the only novel part of this show, and even he's derivative of Rorschach/The Question.

So most of seem to agree that this show is a giant turd. I downloaded both episodes and skimmed through the boring parts, which was most of the running time.

So who out there LIKES it....and if so, why?

I've never read Watchmen, and I wasn't overly impressed with the movie. It's not bad, it just didn't really grab me.
So, without much background into the "phenomenon" of Watchmen, I'm enjoying the show.
The story and characters so far are interesting, the production values are great... and I even learned a bit of American history to boot.
As for the racial themes, if I'm not mistaken, the original comic did comment on what was happening at the time in society and politics at large, so I don't see why this series shouldn't do so as well.
One thing I'm not too keen on is the music. I find it slightly irritating.

I think it?s an extremely fitting extrapolation on the comic universe. So much so that I find complaints about the sullying of Rorschach?s ?good name? or ?it?s got nothing to do with Watchmen? baffling. It?s smartly written, funny and has some great performances. But there?s really no point in engaging in discussion when a portion of the fan community gets it?s hackles up. :dunno

I'm in the same boat as Abake -- I know very little about the Watchmen and their history -- but the ads for this grabbed me. Unfortunately, the first two episodes have not. I'll give it one or two more before I bail like with American Gods.

I think it?s an extremely fitting extrapolation on the comic universe. So much so that I find complaints about the sullying of Rorschach?s ?good name? or ?it?s got nothing to do with Watchmen? baffling. It?s smartly written, funny and has some great performances. But there?s really no point in engaging in discussion when a portion of the fan community gets it?s hackles up. :dunno

I'd like to hear what is translating well for you. I want to like the show, I do. There are certainly some things I like about it, but it's going to need more than some watchmen Easter eggs to connect it to watchmen. I know that sounds a little counter intuitive, but so far the original story had a lot more nuance that hasn't been captured here imo.

Between the two stories its seems like theres a lot missing to get us from A to B. Yeah, Rorschach is far from current day PC, but jumping him straight to KKK idol seems a bit far fetched. If anything he hated everyone. His view was that we as whole make the world as bad as it is.

Its only been two episodes so far I guess so maybe it's a bit much to expect them to have unpacked that much yet, but these next few episodes better build us a bridge imo.

I'd like to hear what is translating well for you. I want to like the show, I do. There are certainly some things I like about it, but it's going to need more than some watchmen Easter eggs to connect it to watchmen. I know that sounds a little counter intuitive, but so far the original story had a lot more nuance that hasn't been captured here imo.

Between the two stories its seems like theres a lot missing to get us from A to B. Yeah, Rorschach is far from current day PC, but jumping him straight to KKK idol seems a bit far fetched. If anything he hated everyone. His view was that we as whole make the world as bad as it is.

Its only been two episodes so far I guess so maybe it's a bit much to expect them to have unpacked that much yet, but these next few episodes better build us a bridge imo.

making Rorschach a KKK icon is laughable. Let's stop tip toeing around this and call it out for what it is: The only reason they've made this stretch to insert the KKK into the show is to push the leftist agenda which is "white people bad".

I completely agree with you about Rorschach. I guess I’m okay with them having the 7th Cavalry co-opt his image in the context of the story, if at some point the writers will at least make the point that Rorschach for whatever his faults, was not a white supremist. If they will actually make the point that ideologically they’re not the same, and that a person (particularly a dead person) has no control over who might end up idolizing them, then I would be okay with it. I don’t know if they’re going to do that, but I sure hope they do. That’s definitely my biggest issue with the show, so far. There are some things about the she show so far, that I do like, although I’m still trying to figure out what the hell is going on, as far as the plot is concerned.

The only other thing I can think of as far as Rorschach goes is that it's possible the 7th Kavalry are a puppet group of Ozymandias '. I can imagine part of his plans being to associate Rorschach in death with this KKK group as a means to discredit his journal. Who knows though.

I completely agree with you about Rorschach. I guess I’m okay with them having the 7th Cavalry co-opt his image in the context of the story, if at some point the writers will at least make the point that Rorschach for whatever his faults, was not a white supremist. If they will actually make the point that ideologically they’re not the same, and that a person (particularly a dead person) has no control over who might end up idolizing them, then I would be okay with it. I don’t know if they’re going to do that, but I sure hope they do. That’s definitely my biggest issue with the show, so far. There are some things about the she show so far, that I do like, although I’m still trying to figure out what the hell is going on, as far as the plot is concerned.

The only other thing I can think of as far as Rorschach goes is that it's possible the 7th Kavalry are a puppet group of Ozymandias '. I can imagine part of his plans being to associate Rorschach in death with this KKK group as a means to discredit his journal. Who knows though.

Hope and rationalize all you want gentlemen, but the writers will not explain why they forced the KKK associate with Rorschach. This garbage is all about the leftist agenda today, it is simply "white men bad", get woke ;)

Hope and rationalize all you want gentlemen, but the writers will not explain why they forced the KKK associate with Rorschach. This garbage is all about the leftist agenda today, it is simply "white men bad", get woke ;)

Apparently like the new Terminator. Seen an article bash it while stating the Term's box office haul...or lack thereof.

Credit where credit is due.

All I've done since day one is talk **** about this show, but episode three was GOOD.

And the reasons are obvious: it was actually about a character FROM Watchmen making references to other characters from Watchmen.

This should have been the pilot. If you haven't watched any of the series yet, I recommend starting with this one. You're not missing a damn thing from the first two.

The NIN soundtrack is awesome too. I might have to acquire it at some point.

(I guess the fact that I enjoyed the episode about a white character and snoozed through the episodes about the black character makes me a horrible racist Nazi wrong side of history Drumf Orange Man Bad etc etc.......yawn.)

Oh, and on the subject of race, they show an Asian chick in the trailers for next week's episode. And as usual by current Hollywood standards, she's dumpy and looks like a guy. As a resident of a country with about 50 million Asian chicks that are absolute knock-outs, I can tell you that they're doing this on purpose. Why do you think the "hot" Tico sister got killed off in 30 seconds and we were left with Rose for the rest of the movie?

Anyway.....

Jeremy Irons' scenes were quite fun too. This show still has absolutely nothing to do with Alan Moore's work, and not a shred of its spirit, but I'll be fair and objective and admit that it didn't completely suck this week.

Back