Watchmen movie appeal?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fubeca

Cage Fighter
Reaction score
Ok so I watched Watchmen again for the second time and...I don't get it, what is there to link. Not complaining about it or criticizing those who do like it I really want to know what is it about Watchmen you guys liked...

the politics? the story? the characters? the wiener :naughty? the art? the concept? WHAT???

:lol

Ohhh man, you have no idea the ^^^^ storm you surely just unleashed from fanboys who'll be angry you made a new thread for this.

I had no knowlege of the comic and still don't, I'm 23, I enjoyed the movie for its overall cinematography, storytelling, characters, and the way they showed what may actually happen politicly and realisticly with superheroes introduced to society. Not everyones out at the Spiderman Parade and just over the moon for these guys. It was gritty and felt realistic because they weren't afraid to pull punches just because we were use to the lighter side of these stories. I'd say 8.5/10 for me.

Yeah I don't care I'll cry for 7 seconds and then get over anyone who gets mad at me...

I just wanted to know cuz I liked other Graphic Novels made into movies...just didn't catch this one

I originally felt that I loved the original comic for the story, but though all the major plot points are covered in the film, I feel that it felt flat and shallow somehow. So, I think the comic has something else to it that makes it great. Maybe more nuance, a richer mood, better characterization, etc.

I loved the story and characters in the movie. The visuals were awesome too. I liked the movie alot

only thing i didn't like was the framing of dr manhattan for the destruction of major cities. the whole plot of uniting humanty by using an outside force (giant alien vag monster) to end ww3 was one of the points of the original story. my bug is that doc manhattan was american and to frame him as the enemy of humanity doesn't present the level playingfield /clean slate that ozy was presenting the world. being that doc manhattan was american would only serve to unite the rest of the world against the US and blame them for the destruction. ozy was literally trying to change the human dynamic, but the movie ending would only serve to perpetuate the status quo in favor of one side over the other. i hope this makes sense, it's harder to type it out than think it.

aside from that, the rest of the movie cinematically, musically, theatrically was F'n beautiful.

only thing i didn't like was the framing of dr manhattan for the destruction of major cities. the whole plot of uniting humanty by using an outside force (giant alien vag monster) to end ww3 was one of the points of the original story. my bug is that doc manhattan was american and to frame him as the enemy of humanity doesn't present the level playingfield /clean slate that ozy was presenting the world. being that doc manhattan was american would only serve to unite the rest of the world against the US and blame them for the destruction. ozy was literally trying to change the human dynamic, but the movie ending would only serve to perpetuate the status quo in favor of one side over the other. i hope this makes sense, it's harder to type it out than think it.

aside from that, the rest of the movie cinematically, musically, theatrically was F'n beautiful.

I haven't seen the movie yet and I've never read any of the comics but I'm somewhat familiar with the details. I don't see how you could label Dr. Manhattan as Human, let alone American. :confused:

read the book, then hypnotize yourself to erase the memory of ever seeing the movie. one is a work of a genius, the other is a piece of crap.

it took the visual cues from the book, but missed the essence completely. fans are calling it botchmen. my sentiment exactly.

I haven't seen the movie yet and I've never read any of the comics but I'm somewhat familiar with the details. I don't see how you could label Dr. Manhattan as Human, let alone American. :confused:

he was an american human. then as doc manhattan he was turned into america's first line of defense. for the whole world to unite the threat has to come from beyond. former president reagan even said so at one point during the cold war. and that's the idea moore presented in the book. and that's always been the one major beef fans have with this movie.

out with the squid and what it represents, and in with generic explosions. what is it with hollywood movies and explosions?

I had no knowlege of the comic and still don't, I'm 23, I enjoyed the movie for its overall cinematography, storytelling, characters, and the way they showed what may actually happen politicly and realisticly with superheroes introduced to society. Not everyones out at the Spiderman Parade and just over the moon for these guys. It was gritty and felt realistic because they weren't afraid to pull punches just because we were use to the lighter side of these stories. I'd say 8.5/10 for me.

the book tries to be realistic. the film. does. not. even. bother.

ozy did superhuman jumps. heads break concrete walls and still the characters get up. and what's with the huge cartoonish nogging on nixon?

the movie tries to be 'cool', which is not at all the point of the book. there's no need for kung-fu battle at the finale. there's no need for slo-mo shampoo commercial during the fire rescue. and i hate every changes they made to rorschach.

Yeah I don't care I'll cry for 7 seconds and then get over anyone who gets mad at me...

I just wanted to know cuz I liked other Graphic Novels made into movies...just didn't catch this one

Agreed. I don't know why fanboys like the movie so much. To be honest, it's not a great movie at all (I am only talking about it as a movie, not the watchmen story itself).

The watchmen graphic novel is awesome, great art, great atmosphere, great story.

To translate all these characters' stories into a movie is just not plausible... I know they tried.. but the end product is that there is nearly no climax.. just pieces which are munched up together without much creativity behind all this.

he was an american human. then as doc manhattan he was turned into america's first line of defense. for the whole world to unite the threat has to come from beyond. former president reagan even said so at one point during the cold war. and that's the idea moore presented in the book. and that's always been the one major beef fans have with this movie.

out with the squid and what it represents, and in with generic explosions. what is it with hollywood movies and explosions?

what he said.

Remember that if you choose to post in this thread that others may have different opinions than yours. If we must have yet another thread about the merits of The Watchmen, please keep it civil.

Last edited:
The new face of Watchmen...for Dave

peanuts_watchmen.jpg

Appeal of the movie...seeing the book on screen.

Appeal of the book....the deep characters, and interweaving plots. Its just a great book to read. Yes, I find it "fun".

I saw the movie without any Watchmen knowledge. I loved it, it was amazing. The "superheroes" weren't all boyscouts, they all had their personal problems and deep personalities and the story was very good too. I liked the idea of a more investigation character type movie, then the usual let's blow things up and everything will be allright type of deal. (Not that there's anything wrong with that :D)

I read the GN a week or so later, and I loved it as much as the movie. Sure the ending in the GN was perhaps better and made more sense, but the movie was just seeing the GN come to life on the big screen and there's nothing wrong with that :)

cr` said:
he was an american human. then as doc manhattan he was turned into america's first line of defense.

Ok I can buy that, a representation of America. But not "American". I just figured since dude wasn't even living on Earth at that point (right!?) that no one could possibly label him human let alone American.

for the whole world to unite the threat has to come from beyond. former president reagan even said so at one point during the cold war. and that's the idea moore presented in the book.

And that's also the idea Moore ripped off from "The Architects of Fear". An Outer Limits episode.

What is the purpose of this thread? I think explaining quantum physics to a 4 year old would be easier than answering this question for some of you.

Back