Watchmen movie appeal?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love or hate the movie, i have to say that i personally liked it, it has had one effect on a lot of my friends who saw it....they all went out and brought the graphic novel, so if all the film achieves is that a whole load more people read the graphic novel then thats not a bad thing in my eyes. and as for reasons i liked the movie, well for a start i personally thought that it was a good translation of book to a different media, remaining faithful enough while changing just enough as to not be ridiculous....(squid monster i'm looking at you) and for those out there who thought it was too far removed from the novel....did nolans batman film stick close to the batman comics in anyway? not really, he said himself he wanted to ground that character in the real world, but i digress, is watchmen a masterpiece of cinema....no, is it highly entertaining, yeah i'd say so. and if you don't like it then it's simple, the superior graphic novel is there

Ok I can buy that, a representation of America. But not "American". I just figured since dude wasn't even living on Earth at that point (right!?) that no one could possibly label him human let alone American.

And that's also the idea Moore ripped off from "The Architects of Fear". An Outer Limits episode.

i'm aware of that. doesnt diminish the idea moore put forth in his book any less though. as for the doc, he was made in america and he was used by america, so when the big bang happened at the end, he would be seen as an american weapon gone awry. why would the russians believe anything the americans tell them after that? the blame would sorely be placed on america and further suspicion would ensue. for all they know the doc leaving earth was just another american ploy. and who's to say when the doc finally comes back to earth he wont be on america's side again?

the cool thing about the squid is it's so out of left field, so unimaginably insane that when that dude finally pulled it off, and when it really happened, it's just shocking. blaming the doc and using the generic explosions as the device just dont have the same impact. it neutered the idea and robbed us of a genuinely sick lovecraftian visual.

The comics revolutionized the art of comics books, the movie was just a nice albeit watered down visual of the comics...ya need to read the comics (a few times) to realize how deep and jarring this 'work of art' was (for its time for sure)...people have written books analyzing the comic...(that said, i thought the squid was dumb)

You know, people can complain about the film, but at least Zach Snyder gave it a great try. I LOVED THIS MOVIE because I took it for what it was, A MOVIE. I am amazed at just how much he followed the graphic novel, even down to the smallest set pieces. I also feel that the movie is "Watchmen Lite." I wished it could have been two movies, that would have given Snyder more room to flesh everything out and he could have kept the original ending. But still, The art direction, the feel of the film, everything rocked in my opinion. Probably my favorite film of the year. Jeffery Dean Morgan owned the Comedian.

Back