using Sideshow $77 rewards... do I pick The Mandolorian or Captain America IW?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alatar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Evidently I won't be getting Asmus Crown Series Gandalf the Gray until some time in Q1 of next year. I'm mainly a Snyderverse and Asmus LotR collector and except for Gandalf there's nothing I feel a need to buy atm for either of those collections.

But problem is, I can't not open a 1/6 figure for Christmas! And as the title says I had $77 in rewards with Sideshow burning a hole in my pocket.

I was drawn to either Captain America Movie Promo Edition or The Mandolorian. And I'm not a big a Star Wars fan but the week between Christmas and New Years I do intend to binge watch The Mandolorian to see what the fuss is about. It definitely looks like a fun series. I like the character concept I see from the figure's description of a sci-fi gunslinger type set in the SW mythos. I'm pretty confident that I will love the show. And the figure does look really great.

Display makes a difference, so here's some more variables:

If I were to get The Mandolorian he would have to replace my cherished BvS Batman (in custom drape cape) on the wall in my office/mancave. Back into the box BvS Bats would go. But I also have JL Tac suit Batman with a custom wired cape and equipped with parademon blaster and atop the parademon stand in my Snyderverse JL trinity display. So Batfleck is still represented. And I think the Mandolorian would fit in nicely on my wall with Snyderverse JL figures and Asmus LotR figures.

If I were to get Captain America Movie Promo Edition he would stand next to T'Challa in the living room, where Black Panther now stands alone (I can't believe my wife let me put him there but she loves the Black Panther movie, so...) Compared with DC characters, I'm not as much of a MCU fan--but I'm still a big fan. And Cap is hands down my favorite MCU character. And all things considered, I think I like his costuming and overall look best in Infinity War. (Or, okay, well, actually the WWII Cap suit from TFA is probably still my absolute favorite. But that ship has already sailed. Anyway...) And that scene in which Cap reappears in IW is one of the top MCU chills moment for me.

So this morning I went ahead and made my decision. I made it mostly on my wife's recommendation tbh. Because I was really torn.

Which one would you have gotten? (Please tell why if you care to elaborate.) And which one do you think I ordered?

Sounds like you bought IW Captain America.

Which has its drawbacks but I think you’ll enjoy it just fine.

As a diehard Star Wars fan that loves or tried to find good in all of Star Wars (except for IX), The Mandalorian has been amazing.

So even if you didn’t get that now, you may enjoy the show enough to get a Mandalorian figure anyway. Which is just as well since if you can only have one, the deluxe Beskar version is what you’d probably want and it’s not out through Sideshow yet.

Sounds like you bought IW Captain America.

Which has its drawbacks but I think you?ll enjoy it just fine.

As a diehard Star Wars fan that loves or tried to find good in all of Star Wars (except for IX), The Mandalorian has been amazing.

So even if you didn?t get that now, you may enjoy the show enough to get a Mandalorian figure anyway. Which is just as well since if you can only have one, the deluxe Beskar version is what you?d probably want and it?s not out through Sideshow yet.

Thanks for the feedback! Hmm, and just what are the drawbacks to Captain America Movie Promo (IW) of which you speak? Where is the Deluxe Beskar version of Mando available? The standard Mandolorian is available on SS whereas I'm seeing it sold out on BBTS.

As for the Mandolorian tv series I love the Western gunslinger archetype, and I love the idea of setting it in a sci-fi setting as rich as SW. So I have virtually no doubt that I'm gonna enjoy it. Probably love it.

I would go for Cap. He's done in the film's and while that doesn't mean there won't be more figures of him ever again there's going to be less. Mando is sticking around for quite awhile, so there should be a steady supply of figures for him to come.

How to decide? Which one gives you warmer feelings when you daydream about it?

Thanks for the feedback! Hmm, and just what are the drawbacks to Captain America Movie Promo (IW) of which you speak? Where is the Deluxe Beskar version of Mando available? The standard Mandolorian is available on SS whereas I'm seeing it sold out on BBTS.

As for the Mandolorian tv series I love the Western gunslinger archetype, and I love the idea of setting it in a sci-fi setting as rich as SW. So I have virtually no doubt that I'm gonna enjoy it. Probably love it.

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibl...and-the-child-deluxe-hot-toys-hot-toys-905873

I purchased the IW Captain America when it was first available. I liked it overall, but the fit and finish was a little subpar and I had to get a replacement over some QC issues. I did notice a pretty big difference in QC between an earlier IW Black Widow and a later Black Widow I received, so I feel the early releases of the IW figures may have been rushed out.

Some people have issues with the sculpt in terms of it being a bit soft, the likeness being a bit off, and the sculpted beard making the lips look odd. I thought it was alright in person.

Overall I think it'll be a good companion piece to your Black Panther figure. It would be cool to have them both posed like they're running together at the start of the Battle of Wakanda.

So which did I choose?

The answer is... (drum roll)...

IMG_0236.JPGIMG_0235.JPG

:lol

Wife said "Get Cap! you don't even know yet if you'll even like The Mandalorian." And in a sense she was right. But only one day after ordering Cap I found myself looking at the Mandaolorian and thinking that just looks so cool to me. Even at that point not having yet watched the show. And btw we did just watch the first two episodes last night--and oh yeah I'm totally in. Old West gunslinger bounty hunter in the Star Wars mythos is an instant automatic hit for my psyche.

Don't want to jinx myself but looking like both will probably arrive before Christmas as well. :pray: :santa

All of this is a great problem to have, very first world, etc. But also--how in the world am I going too avoid being spoiled about Mando if I don't entirely get off the grid until I finish binge watching seasons 1 and 2? Man, spoilers everywhere! Gotta hurry up the binge watch!

Re: the Cap head sculpt likeness, I noticed that a number of YT reviewers have it like around 8 - 9 of 10. That?s fine with me. It definitely looks like Evans in the videos I?ve seen. As a frame of reference I own two Batfleck head sculpts and they look quite a bit different from one another, yet placed on the figure both look great. 8/10 a is reasonable likeness. The only figure I have that lower verisimilitude than 80% bothers me slightly is JL Wonder Woman.

Attachments

• 9A543E5A-3390-4211-9363-1215B40CCE78.jpg
    9A543E5A-3390-4211-9363-1215B40CCE78.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 136
I guess there's no denying that I'll be getting the Beskar armor Mandalorian with the Child Deluxe version as well. Still happy with the first figure though, when he's more ragtag and just starting the adventure.

I preordered it. It is the way.

Attachments

• the-mandalorian-and-the-child-deluxe_star-wars_gallery_5e724fca1b17e.jpg
    the-mandalorian-and-the-child-deluxe_star-wars_gallery_5e724fca1b17e.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 80
Good choice! Thats what I would have gone with.

After the 2nd season of Mando I can see it becoming a classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really glad that I'm getting all three figures. But in particular to be getting both Mandalorian figures. I can swap out accessories and rotate out the display for the location on my wall for Mando. Or maybe if I can creatively make room for the display somehow to do something like this with both Mandalorian figures (video cued for the display I'm talking about but it looks like timestamp URL isn't working so folks can check it out at 28:46):

I've completed watching The Mandalorian up to season 1 episode 7. Should finish the binge watch over the next few days.

Cap arrived yesterday and Mando is arriving today. Although I won't be unboxing either until Christmas morning.

This is also adding to my hype for Mando. Just gorgeous:

Back