Too much light coming through on my Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppk487

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should move my detolf cabinet or not. My house doesn't have a basement and every room has a window and most walls have baseboard heating so I want to keep it against molding. Right now it's in my small bedroom which I use as an office but its diagonal from a window that does take sunlight when the sun moves to the north side of my house. I do have white privacy blinds in but they don't keep too much light out. Today is a sunny day in NY so I figured I'd take pics at an angle from the left and right side of the case. Is this too much light coming through? Now the sun isn't directly shining though the window and the light reflects at an angle. Let me know, I don't want my figures to fade. Thanks all.

sun.jpg

sun 2.jpg

I should mention that the blinds are closed all the way in these pictures. This was when the sun was at its strongest at this side of the house.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 356
You should really try to position your detolfs vertically, from the floor up, instead of sticking them sideways to walls.

They WILL fade if exposed to sunlight. Obviously more if directly so. I had a case directly facing a window where the sun shined through. It faded fabric but did more damage to skin tone, particularly in older figure. My HT Apollo Creed is now greenish on the exposed skin, and brown on the unexposed parts. I can't take his jacket off any more. The sun will also wear out things like belts and straps, making them brittle.

They do sell UV blocking glass for that very reason, or I'd reposition the case so there is no light exposure. My .02.

I'm likely changing the blinds anyway as those are just your basic plastic white blinds. If not I'll have to try to move it upstairs to a different room. They've only been there for a month at this point.

My collection room is vampire worthy. I actually placed bookshelves over one of my west facing windows. When I spend time in there during the day (usually watching baseball or football on the weekends) I do miss some sunlight, but, it is a small sacrifice.

I tinted all my windows so no UV gets into my house.... They make clear tint so it doesn't even look like you have tint on the window...

Natural light is a killer imo. Try to move them into a room that has the curtains closed all the time, dust is also not great, so try and put them in a room that you only enter occasionally.

They do sell UV blocking glass for that very reason
i thought they do sell UV not-blocking glass for specific purposes, while every standart window glass blocks UV due to iron oxide in it....????

Natural light is a killer imo. Try to move them into a room that has the curtains closed all the time, dust is also not great, so try and put them in a room that you only enter occasionally.

If they are in a room that you only enter occasionally doesn't that defeat the purpose of having them? At £200+ a figure I like to see mine as much as possible.

Is it just sunlight that fades them or any natural light? Sun is rarely an issue in the north of England :lol My cabinet is facing a window about 10 feet away, not sure if they are at risk.

To be honest, the light you see reflecting in the picture is mainly just the glass reflecting the blinds of the window. When the sun is on that side of the house its aiming downward through the window. The sun never shines directly through that window onto the cabinet and that room is on the first floor of the house. If I were to take a picture with the glass door open there would be no light reflecting on the figures actually. I'm just wondering if the light reflecting on the glass (although indirectly) would fade the figures over time.

I wouldn't put anything in the path of direct sunlight, but worrying about a daylit room where the sun isn't shining on something directly is way too obsessive. At some point you have to draw a line and say OK I'm not going to go THAT far, for your own mental well-being.

To be honest, the light you see reflecting in the picture is mainly just the glass reflecting the blinds of the window. When the sun is on that side of the house its aiming downward through the window. The sun never shines directly through that window onto the cabinet and that room is on the first floor of the house. If I were to take a picture with the glass door open there would be no light reflecting on the figures actually. I'm just wondering if the light reflecting on the glass (although indirectly) would fade the figures over time.

Ppk, you'll be fine. The name of the game is DIRECT sunlight. There's so many barriers, obstacles in your case that you don't need to work. I would be more worried about degradation of materials than UV concerns.

I wouldn't put anything in the path of direct sunlight, but worrying about a daylit room where the sun isn't shining on something directly is way too obsessive. At some point you have to draw a line and say OK I'm not going to go THAT far, for your own mental well-being.

Agreed and agreed.

Presumably there is no danger of the LED strips fading the figures?

direct ultra violet light is the culprit when fading occurs. which is direct sunlight. your situation shown in your pictures is ambient lighting coming from outside sunlight hitting your blinds and creating diffused light inside... which isn't direct sunlight and shouldn't carry any damaging UV light. you should be fine with it where you have it with your blinds closed.

Well based on the photos, the amount of light currently on them looks fine to me. I would just be cognizant when you have those blinds open and how much light is getting on them.

For mine, none are ever in direct sunlight. For a couple of my display cabinets, there is sometimes a certain 15 minute window in the morning where sunlight hits a window facing one direction and then reflects through another window that directs it at two of my display cabinets. As mentioned, it happens during a 15 minute span in the morning as the sun moves and the reflected lights moves. During this, I simply cover my display cabinets with a blanket.

Even then, I don't think they would fade. I imagine they would have to be exposed to direct sunlight all day, everyday for an extended period of time.

Back