My total custom built-in shelves for Hot Toys and Transformers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanbauer

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
EDIT Most recent photos can be found in this post.

This seems like the proper forum to share this project. I had the perfect spot in my home to house my collection of Masterpiece Transformers and Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece figures but I wanted to tear it down to the studs so that I could build something more cohesive that would better utilize the space and most importantly - be lit! This was probably a six-week project all told, including demo, framing, electrical, drywall, carpentry and finish. I built it with glass doors in mind for the future so at some point I will add those to keep both the dust and tiny hands off the merch, but otherwise this is entirely complete. Here are some pics of the process:

build01.jpgbuild02.jpgbuild03.jpg

And here are some photos with my collection in place. The intent was to have one side dedicated to Transformers and the other side for sixth-scale Hot Toys. Because they are so much smaller I added half-depth glass shelving on the Transformers side so I could double up on figures. I also made sure to account for Devastator or some future extra-large figure.

On the sixth scale side, it was critical to have a spot large enough to accommodate the Batmobile without it hanging over the edge. The shelving lights are hard-wired to the dimmer switch on the wall.

build04.jpgbuild05.jpg

Finally, I wanted easy access to swap-out accessories for the sixth scale figures so added a few drawers inside the cabinet below. I still need to add some kind of felt or fabric to keep these things from rolling around, but want to be sure I use something that won't stick to or otherwise damage the paint. Any recommendations? The remainder of the cabinet is box and Transformers accessory storage.

build06.jpgbuild07.jpg

Here's a few more of the current collection. I'll be sure to follow up with additional images below. Thanks for looking!

build08.jpgbuild09.jpgbuild10.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, fellas!

1 question; Can I hire you to make some custom shelves at my place? :lol

This is absolutely awesome, man! :rock :rock :rock

Lol, I’m far too slow to be made for-hire :rotfl

Fantastic. At first I thought the before pictures were the finished thing, and thought even that was great. But ... WOW!

Hah! Guess I should have lead with the “after” photo! The original space was like an old gun cabinet on the right that a previous homeowner had stuck a few chunky mismatched shelves into, and the left was a linen closet that a previous homeowner had pulled the door from to allow for the AC return vent in the back. I lived with it as-is for the first few years until I really got a handle on how how best to make the space work for what I was collecting.

Great work! And I love the organized drawers. Jealous.

That?s really cool! Nothing so satisfying as a well organized parts drawer.

Beautiful! As people already said, those drawers are next level.

Thanks, fellas!

You are very indecisive. Those figures moved around between shots more than a vibrator in a TSA line. :lol
Looks great though.

Lol! :rotfl Good eye. The honest answer is some of the photos were taken before today so a few figures have shuffled around and Gamora is a new arrival as of Sunday. But I do struggle with Batman and Joker and how to place them with the Batmobile but without one of them stuck behind the tailfins.

very awesome work and love seeing the MPM display :clap I just need Megatron to complete my 2007 movie bots. I collect the KOs though since they're usually painted better than the official Hasbro releases.

One of the best displays I've seen by anyone in this hobby. :clap

Wow, that's high praise!

Amazing set up and collection! I have to agree, the drawers are definitely next level!

Fantastic Job Spanbauer!!!

Really well done!!!

Amazing display. Nice and clean setup.

Awesome display Spanbauer! :)

Thanks, fellas!

very awesome work and love seeing the MPM display :clap I just need Megatron to complete my 2007 movie bots. I collect the KOs though since they're usually painted better than the official Hasbro releases.

Thank you! I know they're not for everybody so it's nice to see others who appreciate them. I admit I am envious of the repainted KOs, especially that new Starscream and Ratchet, but was never willing to hold out for a repainted KO that may or may not materialize in the same scale (not interested in the oversized versions).

Thank you! I know they're not for everybody so it's nice to see others who appreciate them. I admit I am envious of the repainted KOs, especially that new Starscream and Ratchet, but was never willing to hold out for a repainted KO that may or may not materialize in the same scale (not interested in the oversized versions).

Yea I think we only have 1 thread here on the board that's all encompassing for transformers, which is why I lurk on TFW :lol I've actually owned all the original Hasbro 2007 MPMs, but sold them loose when a repainted KO came out. This way I have the official boxes and instructions. My OCD won't let me have some weird packaging and bad instructions lol I definitely wish Ironhide would've gotten a regular sized repainted KO like most of the others, he's the only one I have that's full on original. The oversized one is nice with great improvements on the joints, it's just too much out of scale.

This Transformers talk is funny. I didn't want to mention it yesterday because they're KO, but I have a few of the same ones! I have Sideswipe, Ratchet, Soundwave, Skywarp, and 4 four of the Z cars, Bluestreak, Silverstreak, Prowl, and Smokescreen. I used to have almost all the G1s as a kid and missed them. These new Masterpiece Series figures (OG or KO) are a little bigger and more complicated than I remember, but the detailing finished product is also better. I had just about ever figure upto the movie. Didn't get anything from the movie or later gens, but I had the originals. Stunticons, Aerialbots, Constructicons, even an original Jetfire with the Macross logo, I had them. But of course I entered my teens and had to TRY and be cool and gave up on all the fun stuff because of what my friends my think. It took me a good long while to get over that nonsense, so now I buy 1/6 figures, diecast cars, Transformers, lightsabers, etc. Who cares what others think. "We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." Words to live, and collect, by.

Back