Time Travel question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solidus, in the future, has Hot Toys made the Anakin figure yet?

Please tell me we have more than one opportunity to ask 'future' boardies about so far unmade Hot Toys figures. If someone blew the only chance on feckin' Haydakin Skywalker I'd be very upset. :pray:

The downside to Professor Mallet's is that using this meathod you really couldn't send a person back in time. It would be almost impossible to build one large enough to accommodate that much matter. However you could send particles of energy back. So a "phone to the past" isn't out of the question.

Solidus, in the future, has Hot Toys made the Anakin figure yet?

Hot Toys went out-of-business a few years ago from the global stock market crash. The last I heard, they were still delaying all of their lines for Iron Man.

Well maybe you should become informed before you insult a well respected physics professor and his life's work.

I don't have to know anything about him to know he's an idiot if he's trying to build a time machine based on a theory that's unproven. If he's spent his life working on that then he's a bigger idiot than I previously thought. :wave

I don't have to know anything about him to know he's an idiot if he's trying to build a time machine based on a theory that's unproven. If he's spent his life working on that then he's a bigger idiot than I previously thought. :wave
So are the people that built the large halderon collider also idiots? Or the rest of CERN for that matter? Seems to me that those people spend all their time performing massively expensive experiments to test yet unproven theories.

In fact, that's pretty much what science is.

Dude.. he's trying to build a ****ing TIME MACHINE. I'm not talking about science, I'm talking about *** clowns who dedicate massive amounts of time+money on trying to duplicate outlandish, sci-fi fantasies that will never happen. Those people are idiots. Period.

Dude.. he's trying to build a ****ing TIME MACHINE. I'm not talking about science, I'm talking about *** clowns who dedicate massive amounts of time+money on trying to duplicate outlandish, sci-fi fantasies that will never happen. Those people are idiots. Period.
Like those rocket scientists, too. Those people that thought that humans could go into outer space or to the Moon.

time-travel.jpg
:yess:

Like those rocket scientists, too. Those people that thought that humans could go into outer space or to the Moon.

Anddddddd... none of that has to do with the ability to time travel. Which is impossible and a sci-fi nerd fantasy. But hey, if rich nerds wanna waste their money and their time (sure they have plenty of it) then by all means. It's not like they're busy getting laid or anything.

No, Devil. Driving a car is the same thing as reordering the entire interconnected universe back to a point where it has already been and starting it over again. They're both 'possible'.

Possible means could. It does not mean is. For example, it would be possible for me to get in my car and go someplace right now, but the fact that I don't means that me getting in my car right now and driving is not real.
A lot of things are possible without actually being real.

You need to prove something for it to be accepted as real, however you don't always have to prove something for it to be a possibility.
The four minute mile was always possible, but everyone thought it was impossible. Then Roger Bannister did it, and then it was real. That proved that all that time before he did it, it was possible as well.
However, if you can prove something to be impossible, then it is an impossibility.

Oh, so since there are 'things that are possible' I can make up any harebrained idea I like and call it possible, dispense with evidence for my claim, and then have it accepted as potentially true. Thanks for clearing that up. I never understood what the word 'possible' meant before you posted that. Imagine how enlightened I feel right now...

Anddddddd... none of that has to do with the ability to time travel. Which is impossible and a sci-fi nerd fantasy. But hey, if rich nerds wanna waste their money and their time (sure they have plenty of it) then by all means. It's not like they're busy getting laid or anything.

This isn't a "rich nerd" wasting his money. This is a well respected professor (who inarguably knows signifigantly more about science than either of us) receiving state university funding for his research.

If you were a physicist who had legitimate scientific criticisms of his research than you might have a point, but as of now you are pretty much talking out of your ***.

You can't even explain why you think what he is doing is impossible.

Yes, it is. Really, why is the idea so crazy?

No one here can even explain why the idea is impossible, let alone why this specific project wont work.

Honestly, I don't know if it will work or not. I admittedly don't have the knowledge to really critique the science behind this project. But at the same time, no one else here does either. So dismissing the idea as insane; and being extremely insulting to the legitimate geniuses behind this project without knowing a single thing about it does make you sound just as thick headed and stubborn as the people who said that we would never go to the moon.

Why is the idea of time travel insane? Or why is the idea of taxing people to study it insane?

1) Time travel is insane because the material that composed the past is the material which composes the present. To go back in time, you would have to rearrange the present in the form of the past. To go forward in time, you would have to accelerate the present to create a future which has yet to be arranged. Being that all things are causally interconnected on the quantum level, either proposition would require the reordering of the entire universe.

2) How many of the people who had that money stolen from their paychecks would voluntarily pay to finance research into an utterly useless, fantastical, and potentially disastrous wild goose chase? To think there are enough of them to actually pay for the work, you'd have to be crazy.

1.) Except the idea that time is an unchanging and isolated constant is wildly outdated.
Time travel to the future already is possible and actually not that difficult. Hell, the Apollo astronauts can technically be considered time travelers, as they are known to have experienced this effect when the clocks in their spacecraft were a second off from where they should have been.
Time travel to the past is admittedly harder, but given Einstien's theories should be theoretically possible. Dr. Mallet's work could lead to being able to send particles of energy back in time within the decade. Potentially a "phone to the past" within our lifetime.

2.) You could say that about any theoretical research which has not been successful. State funded universities pay for thousands of experiments, many of which do not bear fruit.

The whole point is that you cannot take this one concept and label it as "fantastical" or "useless" when there are thousands if not millions of scientists out there testing ideas which will amount to nothing. Especially when you don't even have the knowledge to critique it.

It's fantastical, and it's useless, and the financing of it is immoral (as is the financing of anything that requires the involuntary expropriation of people's hard-earned dollars). You don't get a pass on that one, just because a thousand wastrels have come before you.

And good for the asshats with their revolutionary ideas of the past not being an absolute. I'll take outdated ideas over retarded ones any day of the week. They can feel free to call their horse**** knowledge if they like. They are the ones with the taxes (er, guns) to back their claim of authority.

Who am I to judge...

Back