The Will Smith slaps Chris Rock thread - plus Sam Jackson gets his Oscar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
059B2582-F917-432E-93C0-40FD8146EA6E.jpeg

The Academies: "Deal. Pay this man in Peacemakers and CW Darth Mauls."
The Academy Awards: Mr. Snoopy, your first job is to take Mr. Smith fishing.

DS: Make sure the Hot Toys dollies are delivered to my house this afternoon.

The next morning:

Will Smith--->
MintyPitifulDeermouse-size_restricted.gif
<--Darth Snoopy

Howard Stern:

Howard Stern says Smith wouldn’t have slapped Jason Momoa or ‘The Rock’ Johnson “If Jason Momoa had made that joke, Will Smith, like a b--ch, would have said, ‘Thank you for acknowledging my wife, Mr. Momoa’” Stern says Smith should've been hauled off

Howard Stern:

Howard Stern says Smith wouldn’t have slapped Jason Momoa or ‘The Rock’ Johnson “If Jason Momoa had made that joke, Will Smith, like a b--ch, would have said, ‘Thank you for acknowledging my wife, Mr. Momoa’” Stern says Smith should've been hauled off
Smith disqualified himself from taking any issue with the joke right from the get go the moment he himself laughed at it. He was obviously in the doghouse but could have waited until his acceptance speech (since he was the frontrunner to win) to try and smooth things over with a public "GI Jane's got nothing on you baby" or "and I'd like to thank my wife who is more beautiful now than the day I first met her," or whatever he thought would do the trick.

Smith disqualified himself from taking any issue with the joke right from the get go the moment he himself laughed at it. He was obviously in the doghouse but could have waited until his acceptance speech (since he was the frontrunner to win) to try and smooth things over with a public "GI Jane's got nothing on you baby" or "and I'd like to thank my wife who is more beautiful now than the day I first met her," or whatever he thought would do the trick.
What a dumbass he is.

The guy clearly doesn’t understand the concept of escalation because once you publicly defend your wife against one person with violence against a nonviolent threat you’re going to have an army of stronger men attacking her now to see what you’re he’s going to do about it.

Last edited:
This. :lecture
avengers-infinity-war.gif

I could kinda understand a dude being hyper sensitive in general about his wife being insulted but not from a guy who pretends to be ok with his wife being banged by tons of dudes just for the fun of it. Only in the upside down present day 2022.

So in the wake of Smith's second and more elaborate public apology; an interesting question comes up. What mistakes are forgivable? Has anyone here ever made an ass of themselves, or lost their **** when they shouldn't have? Maybe not in front of millions of people but still.

He did assault someone, which is obviously much more of an issue than yelling at someone. Rock had a previous relationship with Smith, is coming out on top in this mess any way you slice it, and has declined to press charges so he seems to be fine.

Smith is in his early 50s and a public figure so the old 'he should know better' comes up but I really do believe Smith is embarrassed and likely will be for a very long time. On the other hand he had no problem enjoying his Oscar and dancing at the after-party so notions of entitlement and ego are also present.

I'm not making excuses for his behaviour (he should be ashamed) but I'm fascinated by what I see as a mostly toxic and extreme culture of public judgement that inhabits the internet, as well as the immunity a wealthy celebrity may or may not enjoy to varying degrees. This is also Will Smith, who for the most part has been well-loved by the public at large for decades.

The usual "well if he was white he'd be cancelled" stuff is already up and running but I'm not interested in what-ifs. He's a straight male POC involved in an incident with another straight male POC so a lot of the culture war hot buttons are deactivated here; I'm just wondering where this specific situation is going to go.
he’s also come out and apologised, which has blunted any further condemnation. If his people see the issue go away that’ll be the end of it and if it’s still being talked about in a week’s time then he’ll make an announcement that he’s getting counselling or advocating for a charitable cause.

As a comedy fan, I’m bummed that Smith has publicly trashed the unspoken contract between comic and audience. Is it ok to slap comedians who tell offensive jokes now?

A palate cleanser:

Funniest thing everyone seems to have missed - Rock half calls to Will as he's striding in on him... "Richar..." :rotfl

I mean calling Will the bully who literally moved to Compton because the danger would put a fire under his daughters (yes 100% true, and one of his other daughters was later killed by street gunfire as an adult) and also the "protector" of family who committed domestic violence against his wives is pretty hilarious.

I didn’t realize that the audience gave a will a standing ovation when he got his Oscar. Seriously screwed up, I guess they’re fine with physical assault on anyone who says something they don’t like. Rock should sue Smith. The mental gymnastics that Will’s supporters are doing to justify his behavior is really beyond the pale.

It used to be Jack Nicholson sitting in the front row. Then Clooney. Now its Will Smith?

Where's George Clooney, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Meryl Streep, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Johnny Depp, Leo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Harrison Ford... do any heavy hitters that don't have a movie out even go to this anymore? They used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back