the wilhelm scream

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Super Hans-

Super Freak
Reaction score
just watching QI (funny british show) and learned something quite interesting, a sound affect scream thats been used in hundreds of movies that im sure you will all recognise:

the story:

One sound effect that has found a following with many sound editors and observant movie fans is a distinctive scream named Wilhelm.

In 1951, the Warner Bros. film "Distant Drums" directed by Raoul Walsh starred Gary Cooper as Captain Quincy Wyatt, who leads a group of soldiers to stop some Seminole Indians from threatening settlers in early 19th Century Florida. During a scene in which the soldiers are wading through a swamp in the everglades, one of them is bitten and dragged underwater by an alligator.

As is usually the case with the making of a movie, the scream for that character was recorded later. Six short pained screams were recorded in a single take, which was slated "man getting bit by an alligator, and he screams." The fifth scream was used for the soldier - but the 4th, 5th, and 6th screams recorded in the session were also used earlier in the film when three Indians are shot, one after another, during a raid on a fort.

After "Distant Drums," the recording was archived into the studio's sound effects library, and was re-used in many Warner Bros. productions.

the scream : https://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/wilhelm/wilhelmtk4.html

all the movies its been used in :https://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/wilhelm.html

eg, boba fett falling into sarlacc pit

funny stuff :lol

That scream is really getting dumb now. Time for somebody to come up with something good.

haha, a bunch of those don't even make sense.

The Wilhelm Scream has been around for ages! I read it was used alot because its an in joke with film-makers?

My most memorable usage of the Wilhelm scream is when a stormtrooper gets blasted by Luke in ANH during the Death Star shoot-out just before him and his banjo playing sis swing across the chasm.

It was in Watchmen too was it not?

When someone gets thrown over the railings in the prison, before Big Figure tries to get to Rorschach.

I hate that scream so much, every time I hear it in a movie a tiny part of me dies. :cut

If I remember correctly Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom still has the record for most amount of Wilhelm screams at three. Return of the King used it twice.

Back