The Walking Dead - TV Series on AMC ( Comic and Un-aired Spoilers unwelcome!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saying it's not a surprise or some sort of fan-pander that they kept him alive by any means. It was probably always going to be the case.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...-finale-ratings-are-the-lowest-since-season-1

After eight seasons, AMC's The Walking Dead has been a ratings behemoth, but if Sunday's Season 8 finale is any indication, that reign of television dominance could be coming to an end.

According to Variety, "Wrath," the Season 8 finale, had the lowest finale ratings since Season 1, with a Nielsen rating of 3.4 for adults 18-49, which amounts to 7.9 million viewers. The season as a whole averaged around 7.8 million viewers. The show has been shedding viewers since Season 7, with the Season 8 premiere also ranking as the show's lowest rated since Season 3. Check out the Nielsen ratings for every Walking Dead finale below:

Season 1 (2011) - 3.0 rating, 6 million viewers

Season 2 (2012) - 4.7 rating, 9 million viewers

Season 3 (2013) - 6.4 rating, 12.4 million viewers

Season 4 (2014) - 8.0 rating, 15.7 million viewers

Season 5 (2015) - 8.2 rating, 15.8 million viewers

Season 6 (2016) - 6.9 rating, 14.2 million viewers

Season 7 (2017) - 5.4 rating, 11.3 million viewers

Season 8 (2018) - 3.4 rating, 7.9 million viewers

Even with this decline, The Walking Dead was still the most watched drama of the evening. For Season 9, producer Angela Kang will be taking over as the series showrunner, which promises to take the show in a different direction according to Scott Gimple.

“The newness of the narrative is driven by her vision,” Gimple told reporters on Sunday night. “She’s putting different things forward that we haven’t seen before. And she’s also been working on the show since Season 2, so she knows it inside and out. And even this year, when I was working on [Walking Dead Seasons 8 and 9, and Fear the Walking Dead], more and more responsibility went to her, so it’s not like she’s jumping into something she doesn’t know. She knows exactly where all the keys are. She’s completely equipped to do a great job.”

What did you think of the Season 8 finale? For more on The Walking Dead, check out what Scott Gimple and Andrew Lincoln had to say about the end of the All Out War storyline and Negan's fate.

What a stupid article.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...-finale-ratings-are-the-lowest-since-season-1

After eight seasons, AMC's The Walking Dead has been a ratings behemoth, but if Sunday's Season 8 finale is any indication, that reign of television dominance could be coming to an end......

.......Even with this decline, The Walking Dead was still the most watched drama of the evening.

Which of those two points do you think was the headline bait? :lol

As a fan who has read the comics as far as the third compendium I totally expected this kind of reaction to the show by this point. I kept wondering if they really planned to continue following the main timeline and major events of the comic this far. Wondering because I myself wasn't happy with the direction they took in the comic either. I hated Negan. He was such a generic bad guy imo. The leather jacket, the boots the brawny physique and slicked back hair. His personality trait was he's violent and he swears a lot. And this went on for something like 40 issues of the comic. I feel like the writers realized at some point they really just had another Governor on their hands so instead of following the exact same path by killing him off in the end decided to imprison him instead. Which brings up another thing I have to say, to me the show made more sense in killing off Carl to give Rick more of a purpose for keeping Negan alive. Carl's dying wish opened up Rick's eyes in a way to end the cycle of killing. In the comic he just decides out the blue no more killing? Correct me if I'm wrong there but that's the way I remember it. So that's it for my two cents on Walking Dead so far. Just wanted to write something on one of the only shows I regularly watch. In my opinion the show has stayed true to their past formulas of success by following the comic's main events and timeline then just adding more action and surprises in between with more time spent on character development in order to keep things interesting. Unfortunately their mistake to this point was following the source material too closely.

Are you sure it was the different direction the comic took that lost your interest and not the redundancy of it all? Besides the quality taking a dive, to me, it's the redundancy of the show that have people snoozing. All of my favorite shows - Homeland, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones to name a few - keep it fresh, and with each passing season they build upon the suspense. The Walking Dead got stale pretty fast with its same problem and boring dialogues about the inner turmoil between killing and not killing.

As a fan who has read the comics as far as the third compendium I totally expected this kind of reaction to the show by this point. I kept wondering if they really planned to continue following the main timeline and major events of the comic this far. Wondering because I myself wasn't happy with the direction they took in the comic either. I hated Negan. He was such a generic bad guy imo. The leather jacket, the boots the brawny physique and slicked back hair. His personality trait was he's violent and he swears a lot. And this went on for something like 40 issues of the comic. I feel like the writers realized at some point they really just had another Governor on their hands so instead of following the exact same path by killing him off in the end decided to imprison him instead. Which brings up another thing I have to say, to me the show made more sense in killing off Carl to give Rick more of a purpose for keeping Negan alive. Carl's dying wish opened up Rick's eyes in a way to end the cycle of killing. In the comic he just decides out the blue no more killing? Correct me if I'm wrong there but that's the way I remember it. So that's it for my two cents on Walking Dead so far. Just wanted to write something on one of the only shows I regularly watch. In my opinion the show has stayed true to their past formulas of success by following the comic's main events and timeline then just adding more action and surprises in between with more time spent on character development in order to keep things interesting. Unfortunately their mistake to this point was following the source material too closely.

The show got squirrelly during season 3

I just finished up the finale last night and I gotta say, this was one of the worst seasons yet. I don't know if I'll be back for 9 or not. It's just stupid at this point.

The ending was as BS as the whole season was. Any little thing that went against Rick's team got nullified in a pretty stupid and quick/convenient way, and the ending was no different whatsoever.

The Negan story just went on too long. And it didn’t help with all the STUPID things that happened during it. Negan should have been killed about 6-7 times. Then you have idiot Daryl going from a pretty cool character to background noise and the one time he shows up he drives the truck thought the gate at the sanctuary and screws up the best plan they had just because he can’t wait 1-2 more days… UGH. Then you have the completely irrelevant garbage people, killing Carl (which I actually didn’t mind but that went on way too long), the way too long and drawn out story with the woman’s group in the woods (do they even have a name I can’t remember), then we have… should we kill ,not kill, yes kill, no kill. Rick kills everyone at the bar but lets Negan live. Jesus wants to save everyone then is mad when Negan lives. Maggie is pissed at Rick when Daryl (her new best bud) is the one who got Glenn killed. AHHHHHHHH.

They need to cut about 5 episodes a year off and make the stories a little tighter.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, keep in the show to eight or 10 episodes of season would’ve kept the storytelling nice and crisp and clean. But AMC is too greedy.

And thus ends the show completely. It sounds like a lot of the main cast are going to get bit this coming season. I wonder if it will be yet another Negan battle that does them in or.......wait for it............a zombie.

I bet they all die just from fighting each other just so AMC can all this season Civil War.

Back