The Spawn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were definitely metal chains on the older figures. The one that comes to mind was the first return to comic figures after they had a few of the fantasy wave. It was the spawn wave series 17 that has the first Medieval spawn seen since the very first wave.

That wave drove me crazy back then. They started to sculpt Angela but turned her into Tiffany down the line but they also took artistic liberties on all of the designs. I complained and complained and complained. Others complained too but I remember Steve The Victim annoyingly replying to my posts on a daily basis.

Eventually they listened and that?s why series 20 was perfect. I (and others of course but seriously I was obsessed) even got them to change overtkill mid way to make him more comic accurate.

Anyways, I digress...

But after spawn I?d love to see the whole first wave handles like this. Too bad about Angela but that was always an issue with Todd.

Sadly I never got my new comic accurate malbolgia as the last one we saw was whatever happened with series 17... maybe I?ll finally get it lol.

I was only a lurker in the spawn boards back then, but I remember being amazed when I saw the new accurate sculpt for Overtkill. I ended up getting the entire series. So a very belated thanks for making that happen. :yess:
I did not dislike series 17 as much as you did though. In fact, Spawn V was and still is my favorite spawn figure ever released. The sculpt, pose, and cape were pure perfection IMO. I loved the realism of medieval spawn as well, that was a beast of a figure.

So I was "researching" the history of the Spawn costumes, and in the comics (not the 1997 HBO series and film), Spawn got his "modern" costume without the red and the big boot in issue # 32, which came out....in 1995, so a year after Spawn's debut. :confused: That means he only wore the red and black costume for one year and 31 issues. Crazy, isn't?

Honestly, I never noticed the subtle changes to the costume back then, but for some reason I always thought the lack of red and big boot started in the 2000's. Anyway, so the "modern" look is actually 25 years old. :lol

I started reading spawn at issue 36, so the "modern" look was the standard for me, with boot, glove, and shoelace. That batman was the one who caused the shoelace to happen just made me like that look even more. :lol The "classic" was only something I then found out about as I got all the older issues, so I was never very fond of that look.

This kickstarter has really hit me hard with nostalgia. I don't have any mcfarlane toys displayed anymore, though I still have all of them boxed up. They were what got me into proper collecting back then. I even met Todd in Paris (where I went to high school) in 2003 when he did a signing in a comic store. I remember talking about the tortured souls movie with him. Damn, this was 17 years ago... Here's a photo we took, with my brother in the left of the picture and me on the right.

mcfarlane0002.jpg

I am fairly certain that the torso lean and the higher shoulder seen in the articulation video is due to Todd using the 3D render for the prototype place holder statue. I believe the actual figure will be a symmetrical design.

The marketing image being used is not at all helpful and causing a ton of confusion regarding articulation.

Everyone keeps thinking that it is a statue torso and hip with fully articulated arms and legs.

The girly stance doesn?t help either lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is interesting info! I thought the same. Do you happen to know when the big boot started?

The boot was in issue #31 and forward. The comic originally started in 1992 in may. No way Mcfarlane would have been able to do 30 issues in a year. He had to go back and release issues 19 and 20 because he was going so slow on them and Greg Cappullo was doing art on the book to help hit deadlines. I never liked the big boot but the overall costume looked cool.

The boot was in issue #31 and forward. The comic originally started in 1992 in may. No way Mcfarlane would have been able to do 30 issues in a year. He had to go back and release issues 19 and 20 because he was going so slow on them and Greg Cappullo was doing art on the book to help hit deadlines. I never liked the big boot but the overall costume looked cool.

Yeah, I made a mistake with the date. I was thinking of the figure's release date. Spawn's debut was in 92.

I was only a lurker in the spawn boards back then, but I remember being amazed when I saw the new accurate sculpt for Overtkill. I ended up getting the entire series. So a very belated thanks for making that happen. :yess:
I did not dislike series 17 as much as you did though. In fact, Spawn V was and still is my favorite spawn figure ever released. The sculpt, pose, and cape were pure perfection IMO. I loved the realism of medieval spawn as well, that was a beast of a figure.

I started reading spawn at issue 36, so the "modern" look was the standard for me, with boot, glove, and shoelace. That batman was the one who caused the shoelace to happen just made me like that look even more. :lol The "classic" was only something I then found out about as I got all the older issues, so I was never very fond of that look.

This kickstarter has really hit me hard with nostalgia. I don't have any mcfarlane toys displayed anymore, though I still have all of them boxed up. They were what got me into proper collecting back then. I even met Todd in Paris (where I went to high school) in 2003 when he did a signing in a comic store. I remember talking about the tortured souls movie with him. Damn, this was 17 years ago... Here's a photo we took, with my brother in the left of the picture and me on the right.

View attachment 482989

That's awesome. He seems like a nice guy.

Yeah, I made a mistake with the date. I was thinking of the figure's release date. Spawn's debut was in 92.

No worries friend. I remember being in high school when Spawn started. I always liked Mcfarlane's art and was a fan of him and Jim Lee. I got the figures when they started too and really was surprised at how Heavy Overtkill was.

So I was "researching" the history of the Spawn costumes, and in the comics (not the 1997 HBO series and film), Spawn got his "modern" costume without the red and the big boot in issue # 31, which came out in 1995.

Honestly, I never noticed the subtle changes to the costume back then, but for some reason I always thought the lack of red and big boot started in the 2000's. Anyway, so the "modern" look is over 20 years old. :lol

I still prefer the "classic" red and white costume, but I might have to reconsider my decision to skip the modern figure. :chug

I never liked the modern look, I remember when Batman split his face and from then on the cool looking mask wouldn't return for a while, instead he looked like a shoe-laced zombie and I hated the look. I stopped collecting Spawn comics soon after, it was the suicide of Chapel that was done in such bad taste in Youngblood that made me not want to have anything to do with either book.

I want new versions of everything lol

I wouldn't mind updates of some of my favorites like spawn IV (series 12) and spawn V (series 17).

I really feel like sharing this now. Here's what my bedroom in high school looked like, around 2003-2005. :) My brother and I both collected these like crazy. I stopped displaying the figures from the mid to end 90s at some point though, they started feeling too much like "toys" back then. McFarlane toys really developed my attention to detail and started my desire for realism that I now seek in 1:6 (the main focus of my collection).

I would love to see some collections from you guys from back then.

DSCN6487_small.jpg

DSC02491_small.jpg

DSC02581_small.jpg

DSC02583_small.jpg

I just want an updated Clown to go with the classic Spawn. Maybe a Sam and Twitch two pack. I'm not familiar enough with Spawn to want other characters, and Violator form, Tremor, and Over Kill would be too large for me to buy.

I just want an updated Clown to go with the classic Spawn. Maybe a Sam and Twitch two pack. I'm not familiar enough with Spawn to want other characters, and Violator form, Tremor, and Over Kill would be too large for me to buy.

Yeah definitely a new Sam and Twitch the one we have are cool but such odd figures lol

And yes for Clown one can never have enough Clown....

ae1fdc6596e7ed6f7b80af45cbf000b7.jpg

1bc8f315bd45131ab9d2f34b9f630d66.jpg

I would think that with how well he's doing on his Kickstarter we will have a better chance of getting these figure on sites like BBTS. But regardless I'm glad there is a new updated versions of these figures coming.

I don't know if I should point something out that is bothering me about the classic figure, because I don't want to be THAT guys who is always finding something wrong, and I also don't want to hurt other people's excitement, but there's just something that I didn't noticed at first, but I knew that there was something off about the new figure design. However, it wasn't until now after "researching" the costume and going over the old comics that I finally noticed what was bothering me about the new figure. It's not bad, but it bothers me enough that I want to ask Todd on Kickstarter about the possibility of changing it, but I'm not an expert on Spawn comics, so I could be totally wrong about this issue, so I'd like to clarify it here before asking a dumb question on Kickstarter.

So I thought the 3 pack was only going to include the extra heads..but it has all three figures as well as the alternate heads

So I guess $160 is not a bad price

Let it rip.

Ok, here is the new "classic" masked head on the far left. It looks great.

9vN8wB3.jpg

Here are some photos of early 90's Spawn.

syOV80B.jpg

7NegiKz.jpg

Here is a modern Spawn cover by Todd replicating his old cover.

806q5iO.jpg

Do you see it? The white part of the mask used to point straight up, but it now has a curvature, like it's curling in a circular motion down the forehead instead of pointing straight up.

Not a huge deal, but it was bothering me. :lol

Ok, here is the new "classic" masked head on the far left. It looks great.

9vN8wB3.jpg

Here are some photos of early 90's Spawn.

syOV80B.jpg

7NegiKz.jpg

Here is a modern Spawn cover by Todd replicating his old cover.

806q5iO.jpg

Do you see it? The white part of the mask used to point straight up, but it now has a curvature, like it's curling in a circular motion down the forehead instead of pointing straight up.

Not a huge deal, but it was bothering me. :lol

I noticed the second I looked at your first pic lol

Also the nose on the new classic figure is exactly like the modern drawing sorry don?t mean to make it worse for you lol

You know when it comes to Spawn i?m pretty easy going honestly I love both classic and modern as well as the movie and video game versions.

Back